Liteon DVDR 5 months away?

vbimport

I heard today from a local PC shop that the Liteon DVDR combo wont be out for another 5 months, is this true?
Personally l think this lady who told me this is full of BS.:stuck_out_tongue:

Does anybody know if this is true?

Originally posted by shrekka
[B]I heard today from a local PC shop that the Liteon DVDR combo wont be out for another 5 months, is this true?
Personally l think this lady who told me this is full of BS.:stuck_out_tongue:

Does anybody know if this is true? [/B]

Its all true - NOT… I don’t think even LiteON know exactly WHEN their dual burner will be released.

At Cebit they said May, and indeed, LiteON fullfilled this promise by rebading a Sony DRU500AX as their own and releasing it a few weeks back for the wonderfully low price of $299.

Since then we have had the TDK INDI 440 burner appear, Sony DRU510 announcement, Verbatim dual, AccessTek, and NEC release dual format burners. Next month the eagerly awaited superdrive from LG will appear (4040?) and LG/Hitachi quoted that they will produce 400,000 units per month (expecting high demand)

Karr (employee of LiteON) who has released publically the excellent Kprobe utility mentioned in his postings that they can get DVD+R/W to work but the - R/W is still problematic. I admittedly haven’t checked to see what the current situation is, and management may not like their employees telling everyone their product status situation so Karr may have been sanctioned to not say anything extra.

Now, I’m not one to get on my soapbox - BUT! — you’d think LiteON would have released a dual format burner by now… Maybe some boffins in the marketing department thought that perhaps LiteON will release their dual format burner after everyone else on the planet has… And yes I know it was only at the start of the year that the Mediatek DVD chipset was released.

I love my Liteon CDRW burner, the green/red led, the rubberbandless tray mechanism, the C1 reporting tool, the styling/look, the speed and would love to see the same technologies in a DVD burner, however, perhaps it will be a case of screwing loyalty, and getting a different brand dual format burner if Liteon cannot get its act together and release their own dvd burner… The NEC 1300 and Sony DRU series seems more appealing each day!