Liteon DVD Writer does not read blank DVD's Anymore

I have a Liteon DVD Writer. I have been able to write to +/- R blank DVD’s and CD’s; but, about 2 or 3 weeks ago I cannot write to +/-R blank DVD’s anymore. I can write to a blank CD though.

When I put a blank CD in the drive, it shows as having 488mb total size and 488mb free space.

When I put a blank DVD (+ or - R), it shows as having 0mb total size and 0mb of free space.

When I use a burning software to burn, it recognizes that I have a writable disk in the drive and burns the DVD. When I put the disk back into the drive, it shows as having 0 mb.

Also, when I first put my disk in the drive, windows does not show the window asking what I want to do anymore.

I do not have any spyware/ virus (I did my scans).

Does anyone know why this would all of a sudden happen? I did recently do a windows update. Did one of the security patches do something to my Drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What burning program are you using?
Can you post a log file?

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2295884]What burning program are you using?
Can you post a log file?[/QUOTE]

I am using Ashampoo Burning Studio 9 and ImgBurn. I recently updated to Burning Studio 9 from 8. I cannot remember if this problem start right after I updated to version 9 or not. I think I was able to burn with 9 though.

Wouldn’t it have to do with window since in “My Computer” the drive with the writable DVD shows as having 0mb total size and 0mb of free space? As I said, a blank writable CD shows as having 488mb total size and 488mb of free space The burning software shows that the blank DVD as good to go and it burns the DVD.

I have Nero Essentials that came with the writer; I will try burning with that and post what happens.

Where do I get a log file? HijackThis?

Thanks.

Help/ImgBurn Logs…

[QUOTE=cyclinggimpe;2295908]I am using Ashampoo Burning Studio 9 and ImgBurn. I recently updated to Burning Studio 9 from 8. I cannot remember if this problem start right after I updated to version 9 or not. I think I was able to burn with 9 though.

Wouldn’t it have to do with window since in “My Computer” the drive with the writable DVD shows as having 0mb total size and 0mb of free space? As I said, a blank writable CD shows as having 488mb total size and 488mb of free space The burning software shows that the blank DVD as good to go and it burns the DVD.

I have Nero Essentials that came with the writer; I will try burning with that and post what happens.

Where do I get a log file? HijackThis?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Windows doesnt have a native DVD burner. It is normal to show 0gb. You cannot read a blank disk. If yoru burning programs burn the dvd then there is nothing wrong.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2295942]Windows doesnt have a native DVD burner. It is normal to show 0gb. You cannot read a blank disk. If yoru burning programs burn the dvd then there is nothing wrong.[/QUOTE]

If windows does not read a blank disk, then why does it show 488mb free space for a blank writable CD?

Just a question.

After running Ad-Aware, MalwarBytes, SpyBot Search and Destroy and AVG Virus Scanner my CD/DVD writing software now recognizes my DVD Writer.

I am able to write a DVD using Nero Essentials and ImgBurn. I still cannot write using the Burning Studio 9. I emailed their tech support and see what they say. If it doesn’t work I will ask for my money back. Version 8 was a decent overall program (I didn’t have any problem with it). Version 9 seems to be trouble.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=cyclinggimpe;2295949]If windows does not read a blank disk, then why does it show 488mb free space for a blank writable CD?

Just a question.[/QUOTE]

Blank DVD…

I have 3 months old Liteon iHAP422 and Nero Essential-7 which came with the drive. I have done several copies of DVDs in the last 3-4 months but since last two days after Nero essential makes an image on the HD and asks to insert a blank DVD it does not recognize the blank DVD and just waits. First I thought it is one DVD so I tried another old DVD which I had copied a month ago and that does the same thing.
Could any one please help me what is wrong. Is it the drive or nero program.
I if you want to know my operating system it is window XP

[QUOTE=rcv95120;2298058]I have 3 months old Liteon iHAP422 and Nero Essential-7 which came with the drive. I have done several copies of DVDs in the last 3-4 months but since last two days after Nero essential makes an image on the HD and asks to insert a blank DVD it does not recognize the blank DVD and just waits. First I thought it is one DVD so I tried another old DVD which I had copied a month ago and that does the same thing.
Could any one please help me what is wrong. Is it the drive or nero program.
I if you want to know my operating system it is window XP[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that I have tried both single layer and double layer DVDs. Also my computer does recognizes a blank DVD when I put it some other time. The only time it does not recognizes when after creating an image nero essential asks to put a blank DVD. So please help me what to do.
Thanks
RCV

Sorry about whats going with you but I have sony dvd burner that is doing the same thing. I am using nero too and it will read a burn dvd but when I try to copy it using Nero it will burn the image but will not read the blank dvd it will just sit there. So please will someone help us.

Oh and I also tried to uninstall nero then re installed nero but still having the same thing.

[QUOTE=erickoston2;2300008]Oh and I also tried to uninstall nero then re installed nero but still having the same thing.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing but no luck. It still does not recognize blank dvd after creating an image on hard drive. Anybody please help us we need some help. I am sure there are experts who can help us to identify the problem and can give some solution.

No drive “can read” blanks, it would be futile nevertheless.