LiteOn DVD+RW SOHW-802S Can't read discs

Hi,

Recently my LiteOn DVD+RW SOHW-802S decided it didn’t want to read cd’s or dvd’s anymore and I don’t think thats very nice. Can someone tell me what might be going on with it? My PC still detects the drive just not what I put in it (cd’s and dvd’s that worked before don’t now).

I am running WinXP with Service Pack 2 with latest security patches up to Sunday 19th. I don’t think these are the problem because after I noticed the problem I uninstalled them and the problem was still there.

I have checked out other posts on this site but struggle to understand what they are talking about (firmware? flashing? sounds a bit raunchy to me).
I am not very well educated with dvd drives so please use small words.

Much appreciation in advance
aarkel :slight_smile:

The first step would be to determine if the problem is a hardware problem or a software/Windows problem, which can be done either one of two ways…

1/ Does the drive work when hooked up to a different computer?

2/ Or if you don’t want to move the drive around (who does?), can you put in a bootable CD or DVD and boot up from the drive (assuming that your BIOS is configured to boot up from an optical drive). Most computer makers provide a “recovery CD” or something like that, and those are usually bootable.

If the drive works in another computer or if the drive is able to boot up from a bootable CD, then the drive is fine and there’s something wrong with Windows. Otherwise, then your drive probably has physical problems (dust inside the drive? damage resulting from unstable power? old age? random fluke?)

if it worked properly before, i think the laser’s dead now.

but you can always try a new firmware: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SOHW-832S

download “CG5G - patched - improved burn quality”, unpack, run “832S.CG5G.patched-cf.exe”, flash, reboot.

No, firmware will never solve problems like this. There’s a good chance that the laser is dead, but it’s best to make sure before jumping to that conclusion because there’s the possibility that something might have somehow triggered a problem with the Windows IDE configuration.

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately its the only drive I have on this machine so i cant try a boot cd or dvd (as it wont read) and it’s not that old either (only had it for about 7 months or so). Will check to see if it is still covered by warranty before tinkering with anything first.

aarkel :wink:

That shouldn’t make a difference (unless you don’t have a bootable CD and thus have to make one). I assume that you have a HP machine? Did you HP machine come with some sort of a recovery CD or a Windows install CD? Recovery CDs and Windows install CDs are bootable CDs. Put the bootable CD in your drive and reboot. If, during the boot process, your computer recognizes the CD, then your drive is able to read. If, during the boot process, your computer can’t recognize the CD, then you know your drive has a problem. You see, a bootable CD is just a way to see if your drive is able to read a disc during the boot process before Windows even starts up. By testing the drive before Windows starts up, it lets you see if the problem is with Windows or with the drive.

Hi

just so you can all have some closure it was the laser that died (after being only 10 months old). have since had the whole drive replaced with a newer model and everything is cool now. Thanks for all your help though.

aarkel

aarkel, thanks for letting us know :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=aarkel;1029122]Hi,

Recently my LiteOn DVD+RW SOHW-802S decided it didn’t want to read cd’s or dvd’s anymore and I don’t think thats very nice. Can someone tell me what might be going on with it? My PC still detects the drive just not what I put in it (cd’s and dvd’s that worked before don’t now).

I am running WinXP with Service Pack 2 with latest security patches up to Sunday 19th. I don’t think these are the problem because after I noticed the problem I uninstalled them and the problem was still there.

I have checked out other posts on this site but struggle to understand what they are talking about (firmware? flashing? sounds a bit raunchy to me).
I am not very well educated with dvd drives so please use small words.

Much appreciation in advance
aarkel :)[/QUOTE]

Well, why take the risk of flashing when you should be able to fix your 802s…Here is what you should try before flashing. I have an HP Windows media center model m1070n OS XP, this is for XP ONLY! and my drive was coruupted or missing with code 39 showing. You can check this by right clicking your Computer, go to Properties than to device manager. In Device Manager click on hardware, there you will see DVD-CD-ROM Drives etc, click plus than right click your drive DVD/ROM etc…Go to properties and you will see whats wrong, should be code 39…Anyway, the fix is you need to delete your key filters HIGH and LOW. Go to start, than to run, type in REGEDIT and press enter. You need to search for key 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. Click that key, to the right side of the screen/window you will see High and Low Filters. delete these Filters. Re-boot…Your fixed

See link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07146&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

You want to go to Step3 it tells you there, but better follow my instructions, its straight to the issue. If this fails and you have an HP, go caht with support…link http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-006&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=82702&h_client=S-A-R163-2&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us

The thread you just replied to is 4 years old…