LiteOn DVD burners for C1/C2 scanning?

vbimport

I’ve noticed that not many people here use LiteOn dvd burners (e.g. 851s) for c1/c2 scanning.

Are there known big problems in using dvd burners (not dvd-roms or combo drives) for c1/c2 scanning?

That is, are they anywhere near consistent/reliable for cd scanning?

I need to cut down on the number of drives I have and the LiteOn CDRW is the first to go, if it can be replaced with a LiteOn DVD burner for c1/c2 scanning (in any useful manner).

moved to appropriate forum.

Not many of us seem to agree on this. The “issue” is that the DVD burners report very low error rates on CDR/RW. Many folks seem to be of the opinion that they are not “accurate” because of that.
I on the other hand feel that they are completely accurate, and are just extrordinary readers for CDR/RW, due to their lasers being calibrated for DVD reading. (more precise).
So the question remains, are they suitable for CDR scanning? Maybe not if you wish to predict how a CDR will read in a CD drive. But it’s all still relative, and a lousy disc will still have higher error rates than a good one. If you wish to compare results to results from CDRW drives, they are deffinitely not appropriate.

Thanks for the excellent summary (as always), rdgrimes.

That’s just what I needed to know.

I’ll try and keep my LTR-52327s too, now I just need to find a way to accomodate it in an external drive box (USB or firewire) that works without problems and red spikes with kProbe.

My current LaCie Porche design cased LTR-52327s does not work properly via Hi-Speed USB (i.e. 2.0) on my Nf3 motherboard. I get red spikes all over the place. Same drives work ok on internal IDE bus.

Ah well, time to investigate more on that USB issue…