LiteOn DVD Burner - Which Model?

Ready for first DVD burner, LiteOn is my first choice due to CD Burner experience but can’t decide on a model.

Will be using for PC jpg and data backups, (probably use -RW or +RW for data). Also some DVD movie backups and potentially VHS home movie transfers to DVD.

A friend burned me a +R that would not play on my Standalone Denon 1600 player and I read that it probably needs -R’s.
I guess I can either burn -R’s for the Denon or bitset to make a +R look like a DVD Rom to the player?

I have the v4 SpeedLab files to make a 401S or 411S run @ 811S but haven’t found a cheap 401S or 411S yet. (Cheaper than a 411S on NewEgg). Doesn’t seem like buyers on eBay know about NewEgg I guess.

Hate to spend too much and then see a dual layer drive out real soon, but could just buy a 812S I guess. Whats the advantage on the 812S over the 811S other than -R at 8X and -RW at 4X?

What model has the best -R writing quality?

Any/All advice appreciated.

It seems the 812 is a pretty good burner, but you can also get yourself an 851 (can’t really go wrong with that one).

However, having read your posting and especially for what purpose you intend to use the drive. I can’t help wondering why you want a LiteOn and nothing else, since the NEC2500A is clearly the best product out there when it comes to DVD write quality.

I had an 811S (rip :sad: ) and I’m now the prouw owner of the NEC and I would not want my 811 back in stead of the NEC :bigsmile:.

Originally posted by FoxBat
but you can also get yourself an 851 (can’t really go wrong with that one). I can’t help wondering why you want a LiteOn and nothing else, since the NEC2500A is clearly the best product out there when it comes to DVD write quality.

FoxBat:

Thanks for the response, I’m not stuck on a LiteOn, just had good luck with the price/performance of their CDRW drives in the past so I thought I’d start there. Also like the amount of fan support.

NewEgg lists the 811S/851S together so I guess if I order this one I won’t know what I get until I open it?

The NEC2500A would be fast enough and the price looks fine, is it less picky about media in general than the LiteOn’s or just with certain types? Also, what is the read quality like on the NEC?

I read somewhere that most DVD-RW’s except the LiteOn’s are speed locked to 2X when ripping is this true for the NEC?
I currently have a Hitachi DVD-ROM and a LiteOn LTR-52246S, one of these will be displaced by whatever DVD burner I get. If the Hitachi leaves, then DVD read quality will be important too.

Thanks again, any other advice on the LiteOn’s, NEC’s or other models will be appreciated.

This review really says it all.