Liteon Dual Layer 8x DVD+R 8x DVD-R 2.4x DL SOHW-832S

Hi, I’m very new to this forum, but I hope you can help me with this: I’m about to buy this dvd-writer: Liteon Dual Layer 8x DVD+R 8x DVD-R 2.4x DL SOHW-832S, and I would like your opinions on whether to buy this one or not, and another question: which are the best (in other words burn the least errors) and most durable dvd’s?

Tnx,

Linos.

How much you paying for that thing…?

I’m paying € 102 which should be around the same as you would pay in dollars.

Some extended information: ATAPI / E-IDE Half-Height internal DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD+R9 / DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD-ROM / CD-R / CD-RW / CD-ROM combination drive Supported Double Layer DVD+R9 Recording Function SMART-BURN avoiding Buffer UnderRun Error, Automatically adjusting writing strategy & running OPC to provide the best burning quality SMART-X function adjusts CD-DA / VCD / DVD data extraction to a fastest allowable speed according to both data request rate from host and disk quality VAS® system reduce vibration and noise during recording and reading Support Fixed Packet, Variable Packet, TAO, SAO, DAO, Raw Mode Burning & Over-Burn DVD read compliant : DVD single / dual layer ( PTP / OTP ), DVD-R ( 3.9 GB / 4.7 GB ), DVD-R multi-borders, DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW CD read compliant : CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM / XA, Photo-CD, Multi-session, Karaoke-CD, Video-CD, CD-I FMV, CD Extra, CD Plus, CD-R, and CD-RW Supprot both 8 cm and 12 cm disc of CD and DVD family Conform to Orange Book : Part 2 CD-R Volume 1, Part 2 CD-R Volume 2 Multi Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 1 ( 1x, 2x, and 4x ), Part 3 CD-RW Volume 2 : High Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 3 : Ultra Speed Supported transfer mode : PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 and Ultra DMA mode 2 DVD Family : Write DVD+R 8x ( 10800 KB/sec ) maximum by Z-CLV DVD-R 8x ( 10800 KB/sec ) maximum by Z-CLV DVD+R9 2.4x ( 3240 KB/sec ) maximum by CLV ReWrite DVD+RW 4x ( 5400 KB/sec ) by CLV DVD-RW 4x ( 5400 KB/sec ) by CLV Read 12x ( 16200 KB/sec ) maximum by CAV Access time 160 ms CD Family : Write CD-R 40x ( 6000 KB/sec ) maximum by P-CAV ReWrite CD-RW 24x ( 3600 KB/sec ) maximum by Z-CLV in UltraSpeed disc Read 40x ( 6000 KB/sec ) maximum by CAV Access time 160 ms Buffer Size : 2 MB PC Required : Pentium III 450 MHz or faster CPU and 128 MB or higher RAM are required 650 MB HDD available capacity; and 5 GB free space for creating a DVD image file Compatibility : Windows 98 / NT 4.0 / ME / 2000 / XP MTBF ( Life ) : 70,000 Hours S/N Ration : > 75 dB Environment : Operating 5C to 45C; Relative Humidity : 15% to 80% Non-Operating -40C to 60C; Relative Humidity : 15% to 95% Dimension: 145.0 ( W ) x 41.3 ( H ) x 170.0 ( D ) mm Weight : < 0.9 Kg Voltage Requirements : +5V +/-5% and less than 100 mVp-p ripple voltage +12V +/-5% and less than 200 mVp-p ripple voltage

So is it worth the price or not?

Yes

Ok thank you.

You could also get the 812 for 20 cheaper and flash an 832 firmware to it to enable dual layer writing.

I recently bought a nec 2510a from newegg for around the same price…around 90usd. To be honest, and while happy with the drive, untill dl media comes easily obtainable, and around 1-2 dollars a disk, dl is not a reason to buy a drive…

Just my 2 cents…:slight_smile:

I quite agree with ZigZagMan, purchasing Dual Layer Drives are a waste of money right now. I have search for Dual Layer Media with out much luck. Well paying upwards of $15 per disk isn’t considered luck.

Buy you self a good burner and save your money for when the price drops on the media. As the media price drops so will the Burners with Dual Layer Technology

lvlr_yack