LITEON DRW-6S160P problem

vbimport

I just signed up as I am struggling to find a solution to a problem with my LITEON DRW-6S160P CD/DVD writer, what happened was a few years ago about 2008 my drive stopped working so I downloaded some firmware which turned out to be the wrong firmware it was for a CD drive, I am not sure how this happened it might have been a misprint or malware firmware as I clearly searched for firmware for my drive.

Since that time I cleaned the drive and it works now for CD’s only but not DVD’s it turned out to be just dirt in the optics, I used to work on CD players back in the 90’s fitting new lasers and calibrating them on oscilloscopes so have a lot of experience with lasers, I used a special technique for bathing the laser assembly in solution to clean them which has worked well on several other old DVD writers restoring failing reading of disks to 80% efficiency, now I am trying to find the right firmware to force flash it back as it should be but the flashing utility will not allow me to do so as it thinks its a CD ROM :frowning: Temporary image share link of screen shot http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=c808a5f

The reason you can’t force flash with the firmware update you’re looking for is because the firmware is looking specifically for the DRW-6S160P drive ID. It won’t accept anything different. And I do not think there is a tool you can use to force it to flash.

That said, the DRW-6S160P is just a rebadge of the SHW-160P6S, so the firmware you have on there should work. Is that the same firmware as the one you said turned into a CD drive, or is that a different one?

Does it fail at reading and writing DVDs, or does it only fail at writing?

[QUOTE=Albert;2752243]The reason you can’t force flash with the firmware update you’re looking for is because the firmware is looking specifically for the DRW-6S160P drive ID. It won’t accept anything different. And I do not think there is a tool you can use to force it to flash.

That said, the DRW-6S160P is just a rebadge of the SHW-160P6S, so the firmware you have on there should work. Is that the same firmware as the one you said turned into a CD drive, or is that a different one?

Does it fail at reading and writing DVDs, or does it only fail at writing?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Albert, yes same drive not sure why it won’t write to DVD’s or CD’s now, (It Only READS CD’S, won’t read DVD’S) the cleaning technique I used worked great on DVD drives much older than this Liteon, even got a DVR-109 to write to CD’s again, unless of coarse the Lite-ON drive just has a weak lasor, (possible) I suppose although it has really not been used nearly as much as older CD, DVD drives I rescued and they write ok but not 100% closer to 60 to 80 % depends on the disks being used.

Incidentally I contacted someone on Ebay today who was selling another used LITE-ON same as mine of the same year, he had it listed at £39.99 I explained to him my problem and that I thought the price was a bit steep for such an old drive he then offered to lower his price to £15.99 I accepted and bought it as if I cn extract the firmware from that one maybe I can get mine working using the extracted firmware, if not then I have my old one for parts at least :wink:

Michelle