LiteOn drives not good for burning DVD'S?

Hello im looking for the best drive i can get to get the best quality burns for dvd’s and alot of people recomended the LiteOn 165H6S. I was thinking about getting this because it does look to be the most popular on Newegg with 300 reviews(the most for dvd burners), but then on cdrinfo.com, a couple people said this about LiteOn drives…

LITE-ON drives are not the greatest, but if it works for you… I’d suggest an LG… I have a GSA-H10N and I get excellent burns out of it, but it does not do quality scanning. I have an old BenQ DW1640 for that… Since BenQ has faded from the market, I may pick up a LITE-ON to do scans at some point.

LiteOn “CD” burners used to be great. The DVD burners are not the best for quality, although they have improved a bit, they would still be my “last” choice.

Now is this true and should i get this LG, or can any1 tell me the best drive to get so i can get some great dvd burns?

Yo-

A couple of people opposing and 300 cheering - give me a break - I own to of the current LiteOn burners (see below) and I find them to be very good burners-eh!

I think the consensus here would be that Liteons are perfectly fine. I’m certainly very pleased with my 1635S which is less than 1 year old.

They are also very good disc quality scanners and get a great deal of firmware support from here, with a couple of the Liteon guys doing some great development work.

Lite-On’s may have had some issues from time to time, but I think on balance they are good drives, especially in terms of being able to read just about everything out there.

I have heard very good things about the 160/165 series - so good in fact that I bought one, and I like it a great deal. It replaced the BenQ 1640, and I’m not having any bad feelings about that. :slight_smile:

whats scanning, is it just testing the burned dvd for read errors??? If so, then thats not really what im looking for and im also Not looking for a drive that “Reads” good. I wana get the best “Burns”. And actaully now im hearing that this LiteOn is the best scanner but an alright(not great) burner.

I have heard very good things about the 160/165 series - so good in fact that I bought one, and I like it a great deal. It replaced the BenQ 1640, and I’m not having any bad feelings about that.
Does it give more quality burns than your old Benq? How would you rate the LiteOn burns?

I think the consensus here would be that Liteons are perfectly fine. I’m certainly very pleased with my 1635S which is less than 1 year old.
From your experience, is there anything better that will give better burns, and if so then what is it?

if you want the best get Plextor the PX-716A is the best drive/burner ever made .its not being made anymore and is hard to find but you can still get the PX-716SA (sata) drive. or the PX-716AL slot load drive

True?

I think the Benq (philips chipset) burners are the best all round with both minus and plus format. But they are becoming very rare and are hard to find. I have lately gotten the new 18x LG drives H12N and H22L, and both are very good and excellent quality with speed. But the H12N seems to burn both formats well.

Are these good drives? better than LiteOn?

LiteOn drives have improved a lot quality-wise, and are excellent DVD burners.

Where they fall slightly short is in CD burning.

hmm i see. Ok wel how about this since everybody has a slightly different opinion. Can every1 make a list, from first to fifth, their overall top five rated drives for “Making the best quality DVD Burns with the fewest PI Failures”…This list will NOT be rated on the drives ability to “Scan, Read Speed, Write Speed, Burn Cd’s, Price”. This is a rate on Quality of DVD Burn(Preferably with Verbatim 16x DVD-r but all drives should burn well with that media

1…
2…
3…
4…
5…