LiteON drive 48125W fimware : VSG3 ...WTF?

um…I bought a Pacific Digital 48x12x48 drive…i expected it to be Lite on and i think it is…except:

the Barcode doesn’t Start with: LTR…

and the firmware is: VSG3 …according to NeroInfo Tool

The firmware # i have isn’t listed on liteon site as a previous firmware…but Pac. Digital keeps sending me there for updates.

So what is going on? and are there other tools that can read firmware #'s ?

Thanks.

That sounds like firmware from a rebadged LiteOn to me. My Memorex 48MAXX v1 (a rebadged LiteOn) came with VWS4 firmware. Using Mtkflash I was able to flash it to VS08 without any problem, so you might want to consider doing it that way. Getting Mtkflash v1.55, and the VS08.bin. Make sure you backup your VSG3 firmware with Mtkflash, so you can always restore it if need be. Oh, I’m assuming your drive is a rebadged 48125W, but it is remotely possible that it could be a 48126S.

Hey yeah…how the heck can i even TELL if it’s a S or a W?

Originally posted by TrilobyteVS

Look at InfoTool window:

The last letter in the String ID in this case is “S”
:o

The “S” and “W” models are functionally the same so it really doesn’t matter which it is.

See the thread with the same burner at http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58764

I agree 100% with Inertia. But for what it’s worth, if I recall, MTKFlash recognizes which EPROM is in your drive and you can see it on the screen while it’s flashing the drive, or reading the firmware that’s on the drive already. In my case “Winbond” was what it had indicated, validating what I suspected about my drive being a “W”. I’m relying on my memory here as it’s been a while since I had a reason to flash my drive, so I might be mistaken about this.

Nero InfoTool says it’s a CDR-5W48.

Since I have VSG3…would there be an appreciable benifit to flashing it to VS08?

For that matter…is there a benchmarking tool for CDR drives? Like …BM with G3 and then BM it for 08 and see who wins?

Since I have VSG3…would there be an appreciable benifit to flashing it to VS08?

Sure, go ahead with it. Since your drive is a rebadged LiteON,
it won’t do any harm if you flash it in DOS with VS08.bin and mtkflash

Benefits of flashing to a liteon drive will ensure more features and firmware upgrades from the original manufacturer. (if any more firmware update will be released) :confused:

I have that same Pacific Digital CDR-5W48 drive and I updated the firmware to VS08 with MKflash. The significant advantage is that now every cdr software package I use works fine because they all recognize the LTR-48125W while only Nero has any support for the CDR-5W48. It may be years before Pacific Digital gets Liteon to update the firmware for the 5W48.