LiteOn Double Layer InfoTool screenshot

:slight_smile:

It’s not my drive unfortunately, someone sent me this screenshot.

Oi! Who has it? :slight_smile:

Here’s another enticing screenshot, posted by rdgrimes in the KProbe thread over in the media forum. Shows a KProbe scan of a DL disc in the upcoming 832S. :slight_smile:

So VSTM is dated 11 Mar 2004 (a month ago!). VSTY is dated some time before 7 Apr 2004. M to Y… that’s a lotta firmware revisions in less than a month. Guess they were trying to get the firmware right. :wink:

More info on this:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=216855
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15945

So NicW got a DL… any comments, Nic? :wink:

Anyway, LiteOn claims that the chipset is different (though he hasn’t checked yet), which makes me wonder about the 812@832. *edit: they’re the same… hmmmm

(BTW, could you send us a copy of the FW? Or is that against your confidentiality agreement (if there is one) with LiteOn?.. or if that’s not possible, at least tell us the firmware version? ;))

Here’s the deal:
We get information from time to time from inside contacts who we do not discuss in public. The information we get is reliable at the time, but things change VERY quickly in the R&D end of burner making. Chipsets change, firmware changes, PUH changes, all kinds of stuff changes over-night.
So until we actually have the damn drive in our cold, sweaty hands we can’t know for sure what has changed between point A and point B. Making statements about what is what can get us into trouble and make us look like dummies if it changes and we don’t hear about it.

Having said that, I can say that we know that it’s possible that the 832 will have the same chipset as the 812, that they might be flashed back and forth. (some already have been) It’s also not impossible that they can have a different chipset when they hit the streets. There are also 12x and 16x drives that “might” have the same chipset. And last but not least, different chipsets can in fact sometimes use the same firmware. Evidence the 52327S hardware revisions.

Or it could all change in an instant.

If NicW is interested in doing something other than bragging about his toys, he might tell us what chipset his drive has. That would be very nice information to have.
“LiteOn told me” somehow lacks sincerity. Open the damn drive and look.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by rdgrimes

If NicW is interested in doing something other than bragging about his toys, he might tell us what chipset his drive has. That would be very nice information to have.
“LiteOn told me” somehow lacks sincerity. Open the damn drive and look.

Get off your high horse m8. I have had the drive less than 24 hours and the time has been spent adding compatibility into dvdinfopro for it. After that I wil pull it apart and give some info.

If you wanna piss me off then keep up that stupid ridiculous attitude.

cheers
NicW

im betting that the 812 will be upgradable to 12x + capabilities in the future…and the 832 will probably be a different board…just my hunch…the plextor 12x is already at bestbuy here in the states.

Originally posted by Jamos
im betting that the 812 will be upgradable to 12x + capabilities in the future…and the 832 will probably be a different board…just my hunch…the plextor 12x is already at bestbuy here in the states.

I thought it was only pre-order

If you wanna piss me off then keep up that stupid ridiculous attitude.

Honestly don’t care about your relative state of pissy-ness. If you want to start a flame war then be prepared to air ALL the dirty laundry here.

You did state clearly that LiteOn told you it was a different chipset, but you should have also stated that you did not actually look.

[B]Honestly don’t care about your relative state of pissy-ness. If you want to start a flame war then be prepared to air ALL the dirty laundry here.

You did state clearly that LiteOn told you it was a different chipset, but you should have also stated that you did not actually look. [/B]

Oh pardon me for not stating the bleeding obvious. Like you said I clearly stated “Liteon told me”, which they did, as time goes on I will investigate the drive.

Who started a flame war? err you by being abusive, who has egg on their face? err you. Sorry bud.

cheers
NicW

Geeeeez…way to wreck something cool and turn it into something ugly.

:sad:

Agreed Nic. Lets keep it cool here. Nic was kind enough to SHOW us the drive, let alone divulge any details pertaining to it…

Give the man some breathing space.

I count myself lucky that I know people who are in contact this closely with LiteOn - enough to share this detail with us, let alone anything at all.

Lets not flame…lets just sit back and watch the dual layer goodness unfold.

Oh - and, for anybody that wants to try. No, dont both attacking into my ambivalent nature…it will never do a great deal of good - and will only further what seems to be a pointless argument already.

OK, NicW, you out-did me with your winning ways and enourmous charm. Now don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Unless you want to talk about some of the things you’ve done to try to engraciate yourself with LiteOn. I wouldn’t mind discussing that now.

Originally posted by zebra
[B]Geeeeez…way to wreck something cool and turn it into something ugly.

:sad:

Agreed Nic. Lets keep it cool here. Nic was kind enough to SHOW us the drive, let alone divulge any details pretaining to it…

Give the man some breathing space.

I count myself lucky that I know people who are in contact this closely with LiteOn - enough to share this detail with us, let alone anything at all.

Lets not flame…lets just sit back and watch the dual layer goodness unfold.

Oh - and, for anybody that wants to try. No, dont both attacking into my ambivalent nature…it will never do a great deal of good - and will only further what seems to be a pointless argument already. [/B]

Cheers Zeb.

As everyone is obviously in a goddam auwful hurry, I am pulling the drive apart now. Details soon.

And just for grimes’s sake I will post here first. :wink:

cheers
NicW

And just for grimes’s sake I will post here first

Don’t do us any favors.

Don’t do us any favors.

(conveniently removing my smiley)
Ok fine, then I wont post.:rolleyes:

cheers
NicW

Okay, I’m confused. That’s a lot of fighting words for just forgetting to mention that he didn’t actually open the drive up. Or is there something here that I’m missing? :confused:

I don’t see what the problem is here.
NicW is sharing information as he has time and is doing so with the utmost generousity as far as I can see…

Nic, thx for sharing your information.

Originally posted by code65536
Okay, I’m confused. That’s a lot of fighting words for just forgetting to mention that he didn’t actually open the drive up. Or is there something here that I’m missing? :confused:

Nope, I too do not understand his problem. Despite his misdirected anger if users here want me to post the results I will.

cheers
NicW

Originally posted by code65536

Yes, a lot of things. Sorry it got aired here, but sometimes some people are too much to take.
Let’s just say that in the so-called war between drive makers and firmware flashers-modders and upgraders, it’s not always easy to know who is on our side. People are not always what they seem.

more info when posts stop being deleted.