LiteOn DL-8A4SH-25C - Not working correctly on Intel SATA Ports

vbimport

Hi All,

Trying to find a solution to this, Firmware???

Both drives have a manufacturing date of December 2013

I am having issues with an optical drive on either of the 2 Intel SATA Ports, only sometimes it is listed as a device in BIOS and Boot menu when rebooted a few times, it sometimes seems to crash the SATA controller on boot.
The drive is sometimes not detected in Windows or Hangs Windows.

I have had the drive replaced and the same thing is happening with the replacement, it’s meant for my AsRock Q1900DC-ITX with a J1900 celeron, but it also happens on my Asus Maximus Hero VII Z97

If I switch the drive to the AsMedia controller it works perfectly!

The Lite-On firmware utility cannot connect to the server, so can’t find an update using their utility!

The drive is listed in Windows as “Slimtype DVD A DL8A4SH HC23)”

I have attached a log of what happens in Linux when trying to initialise the drive (When it’s not detected in BIOS)

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, I have looked for alternatives, but there are very little slot load drives in the UK, this model seems to be the only one listed on most UK stores.

Firmware is HC23 dated 24/09/2012

Is there a newer one available? I have tried the Dell DL-8A4SH_HD12_utility but that is looking for a “PLDS” not “Slimline” drive identity, so won’t flash!

I don’t know that there is a publicly available firmware revision newer than HC23, assuming there is an HCxx series of firmware that existed. Maybe HC23 is just a one-off for a manufacturer other than Dell.

Are there any configuration options for the Intel SATA controller in the BIOS?

[QUOTE=Albert;2741710]I don’t know that there is a publicly available firmware revision newer than HC23.

Are there any configuration options for the Intel SATA controller in the BIOS?[/QUOTE]

Only eSATA and Hotplug.
Neither of those makes a difference.

A Sony Optiarc tray load laptop drive works perfectly, this LiteOn won’t work in a totally different machine on the Intel ports either.

Is there any way to force the Dell flasher to flash this drive or extract the firmware? I have tried using 7zip but can’t find a BIN file.

Also it’s the same as a Teac drive, but I cannot find firmware for that either.

@TheBay: Can you do a dump of the HC23 firmware please using the Flash Utility?

I’ll see about getting you a *.bin HD12 DELL OEM firmware, if you want to give crossflashing a try, but it would be a good idea to have an HC23 valid dump before attempting a crossflash. Let’s hope that the Flash Utility will produce a valid dump, if not then hopefully Dosflash will do the trick.

While you’re at it, do an EEPROM backup using the EEPROM Utility as well, and then post both files here (upload them on a free host such as zippyshare.com and post a link), and I’ll check their validity for you.

You can find both utilities here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html

[QUOTE=cvs;2741853]@TheBay: Can you do a dump of the HC23 firmware please using the Flash Utility?

I’ll see about getting you a *.bin HD12 DELL OEM firmware, if you want to give crossflashing a try, but it would be a good idea to have an HC23 valid dump before attempting a crossflash. Let’s hope that the Flash Utility will produce a valid dump, if not then hopefully Dosflash will do the trick.

While you’re at it, do an EEPROM backup using the EEPROM Utility as well, and then post both files here (upload them on a free host such as zippyshare.com and post a link), and I’ll check their validity for you.

You can find both utilities here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks, will try as soon as I can :slight_smile:

Just realised my other half has already posted this back.

I bought another new drive which turned up this morning, been messing around with it and seems extremely slow! If you put a DATA CD in it. It will read REALLY FAST, put an Audio CD and it’s VERY VERY SLOW :frowning:

It’s an LG GA50N, not sure why it is doing this. Will start a new thread…