Liteon DH20A4P very noisy

Hi,
I bought a new PC and the DH20A4P in it, it’s very noisy.
I use the latest firmware from “codeguy” and the device burns perfectly.
The noise though is killing me, compared to the Liteon 1653S I had in the older PC.
Is this normal? The PC is 1 month old… I burned 3 times in total.
I would like to know what I can do to reduce the noise, or to hear whether there is a chance the burner is “broken”.
Regards

Are you burning at the same speed as with the 1653S? And with what media are you burning?

Some noises at high speed during burns or reads are normal. I agree if it bothers you then you should see that the drive gets replaced thru your warranty.

Thanks both…

I was using a DVD+RW from Verbatim 4X to burn…
But the noise is mostly reading the same DVD+RW to read the content.
I do not remember the speed of 1653S, but I suppose the new one is much faster.

I will see if I can do something to reduce the noise, otherwise I will use the warranty.

Regards

[QUOTE=bimbobo;2029399]Thanks both…

I was using a DVD+RW from Verbatim 4X to burn…
But the noise is mostly reading the same DVD+RW to read the content.
I do not remember the speed of 1653S, but I suppose the new one is much faster.

I will see if I can do something to reduce the noise, otherwise I will use the warranty.

Regards[/QUOTE]

I could not edit the previous post…

How can I check whether the noise is normal or the device is not OK?

Regards

There’s not really much of a way to check…it’s probably normal. :iagree: Obviously, it goes without saying that with the drives getting faster, the noise stands to increase a bit. I believe the difference between the slower 1653S [which reads DVDRW at 8x] and the faster 20A4P [which reads DVDRW at 12x] is what you’re noticing.

You might as well expect a real racket if you have media that you can write at 20x with the A4P. That’s a lot louder than the 8x/12x and [occasional] 16x that the 1653S can do. If you want a quieter speed, you’ll have to have Nero DriveSpeed set the drive to read slower, and burn at the same speeds you used to. :iagree: The LiteOn drives are noisy, but are pretty equally noisy as some other drives.

Thanks Albert…
I tried another one of Codeguys firmware

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/20A4P.9P59.patched-fb-eos-eoht5.rar

I do not know if it is a coincidence but now it’s like another burner… it’s pretty silent even spinning at 48X read… at least I will certainly live with this level of noise :rolleyes:

I tried also the same DVD+RW… and the noise was much much less…

I can’t almost believe it… Could it be possible that the firmware “solved” some internal issue?

Regards

…well… it seems sometimes the noise is louder, strangely at the lower speed…
It’s like the vibrations are more evident the first 10-30 seconds then get less.

I hope somebody can advice about what to do.

I will try more things to find out whether or not I need another drive less noisy.

Regards