LiteOn DH20A4P/H Fast Burn, Enhanced OverSpeed & Enhanced OHT Firmware

LiteOn DH20A4P/H Fast Burn, Enhanced OverSpeed & Enhanced OHT Patched Firmware
Official Thread

Fast Burn (-FB):
FastBurn uses a higher burn RPM for 8x and 12x burning with both +R and -R media. Now the 20A4x drives can do 12x burning typically in less than 6:30.

Fast Burn Light (-FBL):
Uses a slightly lower RPM than FB, for 8x and 12x burning. This allows media that failed to burn well at 16x a better chance to burn well at 12x, without sacrificing much burn time. A typical burn takes around 6:30 at 12x.

Enhanced OverSpeed (-EOS):
Enhanced OverSpeed allows DVD+R and DVD-R media to be burned at, up to, 20x. Please understand that because this speed is offered, it does not necessarily mean that it will burn successfully at this speed. You will need to experiment to see what the highest successful burn speed for your media is. If you are using applications that don’t allow you to set the burn speed, then I suggest you don’t uses the version with Enhanced OverSpeed, “-eos” in the file name.

Possible burn speeds above branded speed:
16x: 18x - 20x
12x: 16x
8x: 12x - 16x
4x: 8x - 12x - 16x
2x: 4x - 8x - 12x - 16x

Enhanced Online HyperTuning (-EOHT):
Uses a more sensitive OHT, which increases in sensitivity towards the end of the burn, to ensure even better burn quality, while fast burning, overclocking or burning media at rated speeds.

Additional results can be found here.

Subscribe to this thread for additional releases. :wink:
Click here to subscribe.

Note: Results can still be posted in the normal scans threads but please state that the FastBurn firmware was used.

Additional notes:
1/ Use the EEPROM Utility to make a backup of your EEPROM before flashing, just in case.
2/ The Test SmartBurn should be used to enable OverSpeed (Enhanced OverSpeed).
3/ Only 8x or 12x burns are affected by the FastBurn patch. Burning at other speeds is the same as using stock firmware.
4/ Using this firmware will void your warranty. If your drive should fail after flashing to this firmware, do not return it, instead do the right thing and purchase a new drive.

-fb = Fast Burn
-fbl = Fast Burn Light
-eos = Enhanced OverSpeed
-eoht = Enhanced Online HyperTuning

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Downloads:
LH-20A4P (9P57 A/S FB FBL EOS EOHT 5): Download
LH-20A4P (9P59 A/S FB FBL EOS EOHT 5): Download
LH-20A4P (9P59 A/S FB FBL EOS EOHT 6): Download
LH-20A4P (9P59 FB FBL EOS EOHT 6 *DUAL): Download

LH-20A4H (QP53 A FB FBL EOS EOHT 5): Download
LH-20A4H (QP57 S FB FBL EOS EOHT 5): Download
LH-20A4H (QP5A A/S FB FBL EOS EOHT 6): Download
LH-20A4H (QP5A FB FBL EOS EOHT 6 *DUAL): Download
LH-20A4H (QP5B FB FBL EOS EOHT 6 *DUAL): Download

*DUAL: These firmware flashers have two firmwares installed and will automatically detect you firmware type (A/S) and flash the required patched firmware. These packed files are much larger because RAR solid will not work on files larger than 4MB.

[B][I]Note:

• It is understood that two different Laser Diodes exist in the A4 models. Please make sure you backup your original firmware using the Flash Utility, before flashing to this firmware, so it can be restored if your drive’s LD does not match the type set in the current patched firmware.
  • The 9P57 packed file contains both the A and the S version. Crossflashed A1 drives should prefer the A version. With A4 drives you will have to experiment. Going by bichi’s experience, +RW seems to be a good test if your drive has the A version LD, as it did not like to burn +RW when using the S version firmware.[/I][/B]

Thanks again :clap:

thanks for the great work again, C0deKing. my 18A1H likes the 20A4P firmware, the quality has increased a little since the crossflash.

Thanks for the patched fw, can’t wait to try it out. :slight_smile:

COedking thank you very much for new firmware last chance for my two 20A1P’s

What setting is recomened in smartburn since i new at using smartburn, and could someone help me to add smillies

20A1P@20A4P, 9P54-fbl-eos (C0deKing, thanks)
Two burns of Verbatim DVD+R16x, MCC 004, @12x, All - on, time - 6:28 and 6:23:
#1. PAPA12K10 gives super low PIEs and better jitter
#2. PAPA16LC gives lesser PIFs, but higher PIEs and jitter.
Which burn is better, please?

Thank you CK :flower: much earlier than i expected :wink:

C0deKing, do you plan on adding 20x DVD fast read to the 20A1x/20A4x firmware like you did for the 20A3x?

Thanks!

PS: I managed to get my hands on a beige OEM 20A4P, should be here on Friday :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=SSJ4 Vegetto;1931874]C0deKing, do you plan on adding 20x DVD fast read to the 20A1x/20A4x firmware like you did for the 20A3x?

Thanks!

PS: I managed to get my hands on a beige OEM 20A4P, should be here on Friday :p[/QUOTE]

And maybe for some older models too? Like lets say… 6s series :bigsmile:
Even 18x would be something nice to experiment with :slight_smile:

is it that great an idea to crossflash 20A1P->20A4P? If both were the same, why would Liteon release it under a new model number?

[QUOTE=Darth Boy;1932914]is it that great an idea to crossflash 20A1P->20A4P? If both were the same, why would Liteon release it under a new model number?[/QUOTE]
the 20A4P uses different hardware. you need to test if your 20A1P likes the 20A4P firmware. i get better burns with 20A4P firmware than with any other.
but some users reported that their burns got a little worse with the 20A4P firmware.

Any idea what is going on here? This is a brand new 20A4P, just purchased from Newegg.

[QUOTE=HenryNettles;1933592]Any idea what is going on here? This is a brand new 20A4P, just purchased from Newegg.[/QUOTE]
To change to 9Pxx firmware, you need to use the Flash Utility. :wink:

Thanks for that, I flashed the “FBL” (without overspeed) using the flash utility. All appeared to go well. On the first burn with the new drive, I intended to burn at 12x, but goofed up and burned at 18x. So the second burn is at 12x. The 18x burn went as expected, workable but not pretty. The second burn, where I requested 12x, did NOT go as expected.

Okay, I re-flashed the drive, re-booted the computer, and tried again. Looks a little more reasonable. This is not the best batch of MCC03RG20 media, but my Samsung203 will burn these at 16x with a total PIF under 500 and total PIE under 100,000.

On Edit: The Samsung I am bragging about is the 2nd one I bought. The first one did about the same as this Liteon 20A4P. Individual drives do vary quite a bit.

If I cross flash from LH-20A1P to DH-20A4P using the flash utility, do I need to check mark the “Update Bootcode” box or not?

[QUOTE=ralfyguy;1933877]If I cross flash from LH-20A1P to DH-20A4P using the flash utility, do I need to check mark the “Update Bootcode” box or not?[/QUOTE]

Yes, update bootcode.:cool:

[QUOTE=lewjay;1933936]Yes, update bootcode.:cool:[/QUOTE]

Are you sure??

the crossflash will work whether or not you mark the update bootcode box.