LiteOn DH203AP

I just got a DH203AP and was trying to copy some files off a dvd, the problem is that it was insanely slow and took 30 minutes to copy 3.7gb of data, and to boot it was using 50% cpu the entire time.

[QUOTE=lokhor;1919256]I just got a DH203AP and was trying to copy some files off a dvd, the problem is that it was insanely slow and took 30 minutes to copy 3.7gb of data, and to boot it was using 50% cpu the entire time.[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

What app did you use?

just windows explorer for copying the files

[QUOTE=lokhor;1919286]just windows explorer for copying the files[/QUOTE]ok so basically ripping the disc to your hard drive. With my new build it would take me 8 or 9 minutes but that is a guess. I don’t have that exact drive.

What are your machine specs? Is the drive running in UDMA4 mode?

In device manager it says the drive is running in UDMA5 mode. The specs of the computer are:
Pentium E2140 @ 2.5ghz
2gb DDR2-800 RAM
P5K SE (P35 chipset) motherboard.

[QUOTE=lokhor;1919305]In device manager it says the drive is running in UDMA5 mode. The specs of the computer are:
Pentium E2140 @ 2.5ghz
2gb DDR2-800 RAM
P5K SE (P35 chipset) motherboard.[/QUOTE]Would you check the Burst Rate of the drive using Nero CD-DVD Speed and an already wrote on disc please and post what it shows. It’s a free Nero utility you can download and use for testing DVD drives if you don’t already have Nero. If you have Nero then it’s in the Nero Toolbox? I don’t use Nero any more (except for this tool) so i have no idea where it is any more.

Edit:
You might need to add this file to the same folder.

it says Interface burst rate: 2MB/sec (1733 KB/sec)

Using the Transfer Rate test it says 1.26x speed.

[QUOTE=lokhor;1919440]it says Interface burst rate: 2MB/sec (1733 KB/sec)[/QUOTE]
You put a single layer DVD disc that has been burned on with at least 4.5 gig of content and received 2 MB/S? wow that’s just no good :disagree:

Yeah I can’t figure it out… why is it going so slowly. when i do the cpu test it uses 80% for 1X and won’t go any faster. any idea whats happening?

[QUOTE=lokhor;1919305]In device manager it says the drive is running in UDMA5 mode. The specs of the computer are:
Pentium E2140 @ 2.5ghz
2gb DDR2-800 RAM
P5K SE (P35 chipset) motherboard.[/QUOTE]
I think you are looking at the wrong IDE (probably hard drive). The 20A3 series uses UDMA4. Definitely sounds like your drive is running in PIO mode.

Also make sure the drive is the only drive on the IDE channel that you have it connected too.

the motherboard only has one ide channel and the dvd drive is the only thing connected to it. the hard drive is SATA, but i think it’s set to show up as ide in windows. I can only find one device that’s connected to any IDE channel in the device manager so whether this is the hard drive or the dvd drive I am unsure. How can i find out?

I’m not sure how the P35 chipset drivers appear under Device Manager. I would have thought you would see an SATA controller and a Primary IDE controller.

What if you click scan for hardware changes in the toolbar or Action menu?

Disconnect the DVD drive and reboot to see if the UDMA5 IDE device disappears.

I turned my pc off and checked the jumpers on the drive as it occurred to me that often dvd drives have issues if set to cable select. Turns out the drive was set to slave :confused: it’s a wonder it even worked at all. now that I set it to master it is a lot faster, reaching 14x in nero cd/dvd speed on a low quality disk