Liteon DH 4o3s RPC1 Firmware Needed

Hi there

I recently purchased the above drive as I have read they are easier to flash with RPC1 firmware. I have tried LtnRPC with no success.

Does anyone know where I can find RPC1 firmware for this drive. Any help most appreciated. :iagree:

For anyone who has a Philips Liteon DH403S, I have managed to get the drive to work using auto reset firmware.

LtnRPC said that it couldn’t disable the region counter so I tried another program called Rpcde2. It came back with the message successfully disabled.

The drive auto resets to 4 changes each time I reboot.

[QUOTE=MDM_117;2722382]For anyone who has a Philips Liteon DH403S, I have managed to get the drive to work using auto reset firmware.

LtnRPC said that it couldn’t disable the region counter so I tried another program called Rpcde2. It came back with the message successfully disabled.

The drive auto resets to 4 changes each time I reboot.[/QUOTE]

I have since learned that it’s the liteon settings utility that resets the drive region counter. It’s not automatic and has to be done each time the drives vendor counter reaches 0.

It says failed to change the drive to rpc1 even though it resets the counter to 4.

My question is will this method eventually damage the drive? Any advice appreciated.

I’m surprised (somewhat) that LtnRPC or any other tools work with the drive, as the drive is using a different chipset from the intended target. I think most LiteOn tools were made with MediaTek drives in mind, and the 4O3S apparently has a Sunext…for all intends and purposes, the Sunext drives seem like very gimped MediaTek drives, so maybe LiteOn managed to make the firmware commands more or less equivalent for some things.

If it works now, it shouldn’t break the drive. It’s only supposed to have the drive tweak something stored in its EEPROM, and I am pretty sure you’d get crazy errors if the software was asking the drive to do something crazy/dangerous.

[QUOTE=Albert;2722437]I’m surprised (somewhat) that LtnRPC or any other tools work with the drive, as the drive is using a different chipset from the intended target. I think most LiteOn tools were made with MediaTek drives in mind, and the 4O3S apparently has a Sunext…for all intends and purposes, the Sunext drives seem like very gimped MediaTek drives, so maybe LiteOn managed to make the firmware commands more or less equivalent for some things.

If it works now, it shouldn’t break the drive. It’s only supposed to have the drive tweak something stored in its EEPROM, and I am pretty sure you’d get crazy errors if the software was asking the drive to do something crazy/dangerous.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your reply.

To be honest I was really surprised it worked.

I read that there are a number of tools out there that recommend you to limit the number of vendor resets - wanted to be sure.

I guess this is a workable solution for the drive.

Thank again.

Those tools are probably trying to keep users from resetting the drive multiple times a day, continuously. But there are people who, in the olden days, would flash firmware back and forth all the time and suffer no corruption, so I think you should be safe for a while. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2722449]Those tools are probably trying to keep users from resetting the drive multiple times a day, continuously. But there are people who, in the olden days, would flash firmware back and forth all the time and suffer no corruption, so I think you should be safe for a while. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, most appreciated :slight_smile: