LITEON DH-20A4P slows down?

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A4P. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]just installed for a week (deal for newegg). the first couple of burns are fine. 4G data on DVD+R /-R (several different brands) takes about 8 minutes at 8X or 12X, with Nero 7, SmartBurn ON or OFF, factory firmware 9P59.

Just two days ago, it suddenly slows down. takes more than 30 minutes to burn a data DVD, in spite Nero showing burning at 12X. Verification can only be at 1.8X. With Nero DiscSpeed, the drive can only scan disc at 1.8X. something wrong with this drive?

Probably for some reason the computer reverted to PIO mode (when this happens, windows give no warning message, so the user doesn’t notice until trying to burn a disc :doh:).

Check if DMA is enabled. If not, enable it again :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2207575]Probably for some reason the computer reverted to PIO mode (when this happens, windows give no warning message, so the user doesn’t notice until trying to burn a disc :doh:).

Check if DMA is enabled. If not, enable it again :)[/QUOTE]

You are right on the point!!!

XP indeed has reverted my primary DVD drive to PIO (I tried to read a damaged CD before this happened). After 2 hours messing up with my primary IDE channel, now both of my optical drives are “Ultra DMA mode 2”. so is this supposed to be the “right mode”?

The reason it took me so long is my XP got stuck with updating drivers for the IDE channel (simply changing the transfer mode in Device Manager does not work, so I have to reinstall the channel). I googled around and found out this thing about “a346bus.sys”, so I boot to safe mode without loading it, then changed the transfer mode there. Does this have anything to do with Alcohol 120% ?

For what I know reverting to PIO mode is not related with Alcohol.

Usually HDD should run in UDMA6, so UDMA2 seems to me rather unusual. Try to uninstall the IDE channel drivers and reboot. Windows should reinstall the standard Microsoft drivers that are good :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2207827]For what I know reverting to PIO mode is not related with Alcohol.

Usually HDD should run in UDMA6, so UDMA2 seems to me rather unusual. Try to uninstall the IDE channel drivers and reboot. Windows should reinstall the standard Microsoft drivers that are good :)[/QUOTE]

I guess Alcohol did not do the reverting, it just hinders XP from re-installing IDE Channels.
My hard drives are SATA, and the primary IDE Channel is only used for two optical drives, then UDMA2 would be OK?

[QUOTE=bkfreak;2208222]
My hard drives are SATA, and the primary IDE Channel is only used for two optical drives, then UDMA2 would be OK?[/QUOTE]

oops I thought that the HDD was IDE too :o

UDMA-2 is good for a burner even if most of recent drives should be able to run in UDMA-4 :slight_smile:

UDMA4, hmm… I can wait … :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=bkfreak;2208373]UDMA4, hmm… I can wait … :)[/QUOTE]
Hope you don’t have any more problems. Sorry I couldn’t be more help. Internet just came back on and I don’t know for how long.

bkfreak,i have samedisc drive …use dvdfab with imgburn as engine speed on fab .>recomended…speed on imgburn> write 2.4 verify>4…no more coasters ,so far :stuck_out_tongue: :cool:

[QUOTE=gruggs;2208378]Hope you don’t have any more problems. Sorry I couldn’t be more help. Internet just came back on and I don’t know for how long.[/QUOTE]

problems solved. So far I have burned about 20 RiDATA F16, most at 12X, and some other brand media, no coaster at all! I really like this combo deal. Thanks!

[QUOTE=bkfreak;2208448]RiDATA F16…[/QUOTE]

aaaaargh :eek:

Ridata are not exactly good quality discs. I suggest to get some Verbatim :slight_smile: