LiteOn combo SOHC 5232K & KProbe

I have one simple question: Can we make make write strategy tests (C1/C2 PI/PO) on LiteOn combo SOHC 5232K drive using Kprobe? This is very important since I’m going to buy this drive only if the answer is yes :slight_smile:

Combo drives and DVD-ROM drives are not very good for PI/PO, and only marginal for C1/C2. Suggest reading the threads linked below.

Then Let me change my question a little bit, using the Combo drive I’ve mentioned is it possible (or meaningful) to compare the errors generated by different writers using a specific media?

Originally posted by Qui_Gon
Then Let me change my question a little bit, using the Combo drive I’ve mentioned is it possible (or meaningful) to compare the errors generated by different writers using a specific media?

Yes. You just can’t compare them to things scanned by other drives.

Originally posted by Qui_Gon

Not really, it will only be usefull in comparing your own burns on your own burner, it cannot be compared with scans from any other drive.

it cannot be compared with scans from any other drive.

OK this was the answer I was looking for. I will be using this combo drive just for scanning purposes.

I hope that I will no longer get the “Invalid command operation code” error from Kprobe when I buy this Lite-On combo drive :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help…

rdgrimes, are you saying the write quality of the combo drives is not that good?

Would you get a combo drive to free up 5 1/2 inch bays?

I don’t think that the write quality of the combo drives is any worse than that of the CD-RW drives, but they report less errors when scanning for C1/C2 or PI/PO. Hence cannot be used to compare scans with those of a LiteON CD-RW drive.