LiteON Burner slows to 8x partway thru burning w/ Alcohol120

Hey guys, somethins up with my burner… Ive noticed this since i got it awhile ago, but havent really researched it…

Basically, its only in Alcohol 120%, when i set the burning speed to say 48x, itll burn at higher speeds, but then halfway thru itll drop down to 8x (almost exactly, hovers around 8x, 8.1x)…

With nero it doesnt do this…

Any idea what the problem is? Is this normal?

The media quality is not a problem, im using a fresh pack of Taiyo Yudens…

This is a burn with Alcohol using an alcohol made MDF/MDS file (however the problem still exists using ISOs):

This is with nero:

welcome aboard sonick.

Ok now, I don’t use alcohol, but since u say u don’t get that problem with nero, my only thoughts so far is a slight incompatibility, or possibly even writing bug in alcohol. Only suggestions I have so far are to try other apps if ur doing games like maybe clonecd, blindwrite etc for copying hard games if they do it. Other than that try updating the software and see what that does. Keep us up to date.
Happy Burning.

I had heard that Alcohol120% was the ‘best’ program to make good quality burns from images, and making images.

But since im backing up a few of my more scratched up CDs, i’ve decided to go the route of using EAC to get a WAV rip with error correction, then burning with Nero.

As for image burning, im probably going to stick with Nero…

But still, i still find it odd that it does this…
I dont know a WHOLE lot about the technology behind Burners, but it seems as though its swtiching from CLV burning to CAV burning halfway thru, as you can actually SEE the different texture on the CD where the burn slows down and comes up with all the errors.

I don’t know much about alcohol, but I also don’t know of any one program reputed to making the best burns, but people on this forum do say that RecordNow gives them better kprobe scans than nero, so not all burning apps were created equal. I do know that alcohol is really good for getting around lots of copy protections. It could just be a case of a slight mismatch or incompatibility of alcohol and that particular model of burner.

The last time I used Alcohol was about 2 months ago. Used it on my 451S, GSB6. Didn’t encounter any problems. Disc burned at the regular full speed, no slowdowns, no errors encountered. Generally, my only experience with burns slowing down in the middle have all been caused by poor media. Like the one time I used Philips-branded CD-Rs (ugh… CMC crap) that were so unbalanced that my laptop’s otherwise very quiet 24082K vibrated like a chainsaw, it had to slow down halfway through. I’ve had a few other similar experiences where bad media caused the drive to kick its speed down, but I can’t recall any caused by software…

BTW, I think Alcohol is fairly good as a copy-protection burner, like CloneCD or Blindwrite. I wouldn’t know since I’ve used Alcohol just once, but that’s what I’ve heard.