LiteOn Booktype Utility doesn't support my 1633

vbimport

Everything else works fine with BSOS. The utility says it doesn’t support my drive, which is definitely a stock 1633 (see the attached screen shot of the error message). I tried changing the ASPI drivers from 4.7.1.2 to 4.60, but that made no difference. Anybody got any good ideas? :confused:

Make sure you are using the latest version of the Booktype Utility and that you don’t have the NForce IDE drivers installed.

look here

in addtion there are 2 diff booktype utils @ website. as stated make sure you get the latest and the correct util for the 1633 series. the other booktype is for the old 411/811 type drives.

@C0deKing,

I am using V133 of Booktype and considering that I don’t have any other problems with the drive (and the burns with Nero and other software are excellent), I guess I can live without the utility. Nero CD Speed sets the booktype just fine. If I run into any other problems, I will switch to the MS IDE driver and report back. All my other drives are SATA , so I’m sure the MS driver won’t “hurt” anything. Does the LiteOn Booktype utility use the ASPI driver or the built-in SPTI?

ASPI if available. SPTI if not.

Get rid of the aspi drivers all together and see what happens.

Just kill (adaptec) aspi drivers, it’ll work, and for smartburn too …

I think LiteOn Booktype and Smartburn doesn’t like Adaptec Aspi.

Create Killaspi.bat with these lines :

@Echo off
SET ver=1.7
IF %OS%==Windows_NT Goto WinNT

:Win9x
CLS
Echo KillASPI %ver%
Echo.
Echo Windows 9x or ME Detected.
Echo Windows is in : %winbootdir%
Echo Killing Files…

Echo - WINASPI.DLL
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\system\winaspi.dll Echo [ file does not exist ]
IF EXIST %winbootdir%\system\winaspi.dll del %winbootdir%\system\winaspi.dll > nul

Echo - WNASPI32.DLL
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\system\wnaspi32.dll Echo [ file does not exist ]
IF EXIST %winbootdir%\system\wnaspi32.dll del %winbootdir%\system\wnaspi32.dll > nul

Echo - ASPIENUM.VXD
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\system\aspienum.vxd Echo [ file does not exist ]
IF EXIST %winbootdir%\system\aspienum.vxd del %winbootdir%\system\aspienum.vxd > nul

Echo - APIX.VXD
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\system\iosubsys\apix.vxd Echo [ file does not exist ]
IF EXIST %winbootdir%\system\iosubsys\apix.vxd del %winbootdir%\system\iosubsys\apix.vxd > nul

Echo Done!
Echo.
Echo ASPI Layer is Killed.
Echo Reboot your PC to make the changes active.
Goto End

:WinNT
CLS
Echo KillASPI %ver%
Echo.
Echo Windows NT or 2000 Detected.
Echo Windows is in : %windir%
IF %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%==x86 Goto Intel
Goto Alpha

:Intel
Echo Killing Files…
Echo - WINASPI.DLL
IF EXIST %windir%\system\winaspi.dll (
del %windir%\system\winaspi.dll > nul
) ELSE (
Echo [ file does not exist ]
)
Echo - WOWPOST.EXE
IF EXIST %windir%\system\wowpost.exe (
del %windir%\system\wowpost.exe > nul
) ELSE (
)
Echo - WNASPI32.DLL
IF EXIST %windir%\system32\wnaspi32.dll (
del %windir%\system32\wnaspi32.dll > nul
) ELSE (
)
Echo - ASPI32.SYS
IF EXIST %windir%\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys (
del %windir%\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys > nul
) ELSE (
)
Echo Done!
Echo.
Echo ASPI Layer is Killed.
Echo Reboot your PC to make the changes active.
Goto End

:Alpha
Echo Alpha CPU Detected.
Echo Sorry, only Intel x86 and compatible platforms are supported.
Goto End

:End
SET ver=
pause
exit

good luck

Thanks all. :bow:

I worked up my courage (Ulp it’s a new PC that I just got last week) and changed to the MS IDE driver and that fixed it. The ASPI drivers and the NForce drivers have some conflict which can only be resolved by removing one or the other. I wanted to leave ASPI mode option for KProbe (which for some odd reason worked okay with the NForce IDE driver), just in case, so I opted for the MS IDE approach.

My question is, what software other than KProbe and the LiteOn utilities actually use the ASPI drivers if they are present? What is the advatange of ASPI over the Win XP native (SPTI) drivers? I did a search on this topic because I remember that there was a thread awhile ago about this, but I couldn’t seem to find it.

Since no one responded to my question asking what software uses ASPI, I read every thread in this forum about ASPI and also the various links to other websites that the indiivudal posts had.

My conclusion? You don’t need the ASPI layer if you’re are running Windows XP. Almost all the common software that does use it (like Nero) provides their own ASPI driver (which is not accessible by other software, unless you illegally move it to your Windows system directory). There are a few legacy programs that might use the system ASPI driver, but the chances that you might be using ASPI have more to do with whether you need the interface to use specific hardware like SCSI drives, scanners, etc…

Basically I went back to using the NForce IDE driver and used KILLASP.BAT (a part of ForceASPI) to get rid of the system ASPI drivers. And, now all the LiteOn utilities work fine, as they will use SPTI (the built-in Windows I/O interface) if ASPI is not present, as was pointed out earlier in this thread.

It’s just my two cents, but I think that it’s a better approach to delete a third-party, archaic, add-on like ASPI (which isn’t needed anyway), rather than to mess with the drivers that came with the motherboard or other devices. For those of you who experienced problems with the conflict between the Adaptec ASPI drivers and the NForce IDE driver and as a result, you changed over to the MS IDE driver, you might want to reconsider your approach.