Liteon Bitsetter now in DVDInfoPro

Folks,

due to popular demand I have added bitsetting for those Liteon drives that support it to my dvdinfopro program.

It took a bit longer than normal because Liteon would not support me in adding so I had to work out how for myself.

Let me know if there are any problems

Thankx NicW much appreciated :smiley:

what added feature does this have from the official liteon tool? will setting the booktype to dvd-rom now survive a power-off or reboot? :slight_smile:

maybe somebody could make a script or code to make this possible. something automatic rather than manually setting it each time.

it’s no diff from liteon’s bitsetter, just that it’s like, just in the program, lol
it still doesn’t stay on ROM after restart :frowning:

But seriously, i wish they would, I’d love my 811s like crazy, that’s why 2500a is my new favorite kid cuz it’s still on ROM after restart, lol

Originally posted by Nuke209
[B]it’s no diff from liteon’s bitsetter, just that it’s like, just in the program, lol
it still doesn’t stay on ROM after restart :frowning:

But seriously, i wish they would, I’d love my 811s like crazy, that’s why 2500a is my new favorite kid cuz it’s still on ROM after restart, lol [/B]

You have me at a dis-advantage. it completely escapes me what is funny?

It would be slightly difficult for me to make it any different given the function is in firmware, I am limited to the functionality they have provided, so of course its no different. Many users requested this rather than having to use a separate utility.

It also means that if and when they provide more features, or firmware hackers provide more features I will be able to make some changes, where liteon wont.

If a drive remembers the settings or not depends on their choice of flash memory when the drive was designed, some drives have a very limited life cycle on the flash memory and so settings are held in dram and so do not survive a power down. Others such as the BTC require a disc to be loaded before they can be set. they are all different.

The 2500A is hardly an example, it DOES NOT SUPPORT bitsetting, you have to use a hacked or illegal firmware. Nu on the other hand fully support it and support both + and - bitsetting and allow it to be written to flash or dram your choice.

cheers
Nicw

great work nicw. i love your program and i use it to test for read errors. too bad i couldn’t donate cause there is just no convenient way for me to do so. i want to do it online but there’s no paypal in my country.

what i do so as not forget to set the booktype to dvd-rom is to use a program called strun.exe and have the booktype utility run upon startup. its more of a reminder than anything else.

maybe somebody can write some code wherein launching the booktype utility and setting it to dvd-rom can be done automatically without need of manual intervention.

:bigsmile:

Originally posted by nicw
Nu on the other hand fully support it and support both + and - bitsetting and allow it to be written to flash or dram your choice.

Well according to more technically knowledgeable people than me there is no such thing as DVD-R/RW bitsetting.

Originally posted by Spath
It’s always worth repeating that there is no such thing as - bitsettings.
The feature they sell as such is actually a trick based on a second
session which will fool some drives but not all, as you saw by yourself.
Of course dvdinfopro doesn’t show this since its author is the same guy
who made the NU bitsettings tool.

Originally posted by nicw

The 2500A is hardly an example, it DOES NOT SUPPORT bitsetting, you have to use a hacked or illegal firmware.

GOOD FOR ME THEN, LMAO :bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue:

But I still love DVDInfoPro, no doubt it’s a good program.

Originally posted by nicw
[B]It would be slightly difficult for me to make it any different given the function is in firmware, I am limited to the functionality they have provided, …

If a drive remembers the settings or not depends on their choice of flash memory when the drive was designed
[/B]

something i noticed with your awesome program is a lack of stickiness on some settings:

i have it in the startup to autorun and the program itself does not remember the ‘minimize to status area’ setting. i have to recheck it everytime.

on the booktype is it possible to automatically set the booktype when your program loads?

Originally posted by nicw

Nu on the other hand fully support it and support both + and - bitsetting and allow it to be written to flash or dram your choice.

i thought booktype was limited to + media only. are you saying that - media can be bookmarked also?

Originally posted by OC-Freak
Well according to more technically knowledgeable people than me there is no such thing as DVD-R/RW bitsetting.

Or at least there’s no benefit from bitsetting a DVD minus disc.

Thanks NICW…

Originally posted by dhc014
Or at least there’s no benefit from bitsetting a DVD minus disc.

There is bitsetting on minus and it does work. Beside my own tests, I have many reports from users on this. Zebra for one confirmed this with his particular x-box that would not play -R movies, others have reported some some older players that play -R if bitset, where they could not before.

Bisetting is not as required as it is (or was) for +R due to very few players out there that rejected -R discs, unlike +R. It is of course becoming less and less needed as new players support all formats and their prices drop to less than a spindle of media.

There are those single format supporters who have claimed there is no bitsetting for -R. I will leave you to make up your own mind on this, I personally find their claim rather amusing. :bigsmile:

cheers
NicW

From what I understand it’s technically impossible as during the production process of DVD-R the area where the booktype is stored is filled with zeros. This is also part of the copy protection of DVD-R, you simply can’t put a CSS key in it as well.

For DVD+R the players are simply not able to read the CSS key from a disc if it would even be there, it’s firmware limited (But there is a second layer protection as well) The area where the booktype is stored is free and can be written, hence the difference. But spath will be able to explain this better as he did in his article:

A famous example of such logical incompatibility is the “Book Type” field, which indicates the type of the disc. The first DVD-ROM specification only allowed 0 (i.e. read-only) to be written there, but later each recordable format defined its own value to identify itself ; unfortunately it turned out that some players simply refuse to read a disc with a non-zero value. To handle this problem, the latest DVD+R standard specifically authorizes to write a zero Book Type for compatibility reasons, and nowadays many drive manufacturers have made this bit programmable. But this cannot be done for DVD-R(W), as the Book Type (with several other information in the lead-in) are pre-embossed (i.e. pre-recorded) on blank media. Note however that although it reduces compatibility, this pre-recorded Book Type also improves copy-protection security, as it enables any player to easily identify a DVD-R(W) disc.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113

Originally posted by DoMiN8ToR
[B]From what I understand it’s technically impossible as during the production process of DVD-R the area where the booktype is stored is filled with zeros. This is also part of the copy protection of DVD-R, you simply can’t put a CSS key in it as well.

For DVD+R the players are simply not able to read the CSS key from a disc if it would even be there, it’s firmware limited (But there is a second layer protection as well) The area where the booktype is stored is free and can be written, hence the difference. But spath will be able to explain this better as he did in his article:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113 [/B]

The common most used command to fetch these bits, fetch them from the last border in not the lead in, they are usually a copy of the lead in bits but they can be altered and they are in those drives that support it such as Nu, BTC, Micro Advantage.

The end user I doubt is concerned with who allows or permits what, only what works and if it is of use to them. It quite simply could be done, so it was and some manufacturers saw an advantage in doing so, and so I also added it to my program. If its useful to you fine, if not fine, who cares, its there because some drives support it.
Arguing over if something can technically be done, once its aready been done seems rather a waste of time doesn’t it?

cheers
NicW

Yes but we were all waiting for the explanation.
Thanks for this and for adding LiteOn booktype settings into DVDInfoPro

That’s very considerate of you mate… I really love DVDInfoPro, no DVD writer user should be without…

(don’t forget the check!) :smiley:
:slight_smile:

Tell Me That I’m Wrong :confused:

Originally posted by Pulsee
Tell Me That I’m Wrong :confused:

My SOHW-812s is firmware version DR8USOF and it supports bitsetting fine, infact its the drive I used and tested the new function on.

cheers
NicW

Originally posted by nicw
[B]My SOHW-812s is firmware version DR8USOF and it support bitsetting fine, infact its the drive I used and tested the new functon on.

cheers
NicW [/B]

Curious.

As it stands, on the 812S, if bitsetting is used (using the official LiteOn tool), the tool reports that the bitsetting was successful, but after the disc is burned and you then check it, it turns out not to be properly bitset. So did you try burning an actual disc with the booktype setting?

The reason I am so curious is that while most people blame bitsetting not working on the 812S, there have been some speculation that it really does work, but that LiteOn just needs to update its booktype software. If it turns out that it does work after you burn a disc, then this would support the idea that it was a problem in the official LiteOn booktype setting software all along.

Originally posted by code65536
[B]Curious.

As it stands, on the 812S, if bitsetting is used (using the official LiteOn tool), the tool reports that the bitsetting was successful, but after the disc is burned and you then check it, it turns out not to be properly bitset. So did you try burning an actual disc with the booktype setting?

The reason I am so curious is that while most people blame bitsetting not working on the 812S, there have been some speculation that it really does work, but that LiteOn just needs to update its booktype software. If it turns out that it does work after you burn a disc, then this would support the idea that it was a problem in the official LiteOn booktype setting software all along. [/B]

Yes I did and it worked. I will however repeat the process and post results here, maybe its intermittent?

Stay tuned.

NicW