Liteon A740GX widescreen problem

I have recently bought a Liteon A740GX HDD/DVD recorder. I wish to connect it to my Pace Sky+ satellite box (as the Liteon SCART IN) and my Hitachi C28WD2TN television. The problem is, that however I connect it, I cannot get a wide screen output from the Liteon device when I supply a widescreen signal into its SCART IN from the Sky+ box. What I get is a 4:3 picture from the Liteon SCART OUT which displays tall thin people on the TV. I have selected the 16:9 option from the Liteon’s setup menus. When I play a movie DVD on the Liteon I DO get the correct widescreen picture.

The connections I have tried are
Sky+ TV SCART to Liteon SCART IN. Liteon SCART OUT to TV AV1.
and
Sky+ TV SCART to TV AV1.
Sky+ VCR SCART to Liteon SCART IN. Liteon SCART OUT to TV AV1.

I have noticed, by connecting the Sky+ TV SCART and VCR SCARTs directly to the TV’s AV1 and AV3, (no A740GX in circuit) that the Sky+ TV SCART output will display widescreen, Sky+ VCR SCART only displays 4:3.

I would obviously like the Liteon SCART OUT to display a widescreen image when it has a widescreen signal on its SCART IN.

I have updated the devices firmware to the latest available on Liteon’s web site.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
Stuart

I’m not aware of ANY sat receivers that will output a 16:9 image through svhs or composite, or of any recorders that will record via component inputs. So I assume you are recording a 4:3 image that is a “squeezed” version of a 16:9. Any monitor can stretch that back into 16:9, as you have discovered.

It can be confusing, as your monitor is ultimately in charge of how the image displays. But the answer to your question is probably that you are not, in fact, sending a 16:9 image to the recorder. Neither svhs or composite support that aspect ratio.