LiteOn 851S GS0C vs GS0F Burn Quality Problems

I have just burned two very poor disks with GS0F firmware.

With the older GS0C (was firmware in drive when shipped) I can burn RitekG04 (DVD-R 4x) and get great Kprobe results. The disks also work well, and pass a read speed test with little or no ‘dips’ in speed.

Good scan attached.

After ‘upgrading’ to GS0F, ive tried an 8x burn on some 8x media (LiteOn brand, RicohJPNR02) which works very well both in read speed and Kprobe results.

Then i tried some more burns on the RitekG04 media, at 4x.
The results are shocking. This is the same batch of disks - one is a coaster, the other barely reads.

So i reverted back to GS0C and tried another burn - it works fine, the scan shown here is from a disk i burnt after i reverted.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Good Scan GS0C
http://www.inet.net.nz/~robertl/dvd_info/GS0C_RitekG04_4x.PNG

Bad Scan GS0F
http://www.inet.net.nz/~robertl/dvd_info/GS0F_RitekG04_4x.PNG

I am shocked!

I had severe burn problems with my newly purchased Lite-On LDW-851s, my kProbe tests on Prodye discs, ran up to and over 800 in PI!

I was getting very disappointed, until I read this message.

I found a GS0C firmware and flashed.
Result: PI max 80, and PO max 8, on_the_very_same_discs, from_the_very_same_box!

I repeat, I am shocked that an updated firmware can be working this badly :Z

Well, my recommendation must be clear:
Do not use the GS0F firmware, if you have already flashed, revert to GS0C immediately.

Originally posted by Rob_NZ
Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Me! :slight_smile:

I had similar problem with RitekG04. With GS0C PI averaged 10-15, and with PO max 5-6. GS0F PI averaged 150-200, PO max 7-8 but with “much more red painting through entire disc”.

But I also noticed that when I scan GS0F burned disc with GS0C I get much better results, almost exact to ones I get with discs burned with GS0C. So I started doubting Kprobe…

G’day all,

My results with GS0F have been nothing short of excellent!

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Well, I have also tested my discs in KProbe on GS0C, burned with GS0F, and although they seemed a little better, they were still up in the 800’s :frowning:

Unfortunately. I think KProbe works as it should :frowning:

TerminalVeloCD, what media did you use?

And, have you tested them with KProbe?

My results also excellent with GS0F and 851s.
Ritek 8X DVD+Rs from meritline.com

DVD+R’s usually give a very good PI/PO from what I’ve gleened by reading other threads. It’s the DVD-Rs that give some peeps issues.

Please correct me if I’ve misunderstood.

Originally posted by collije
[B]DVD+R’s usually give a very good PI/PO from what I’ve gleened by reading other threads. It’s the DVD-Rs that give some peeps issues.

Please correct me if I’ve misunderstood. [/B]

I own an LDW-451s and i can confirm what you say. After upgrading from the original firmware (GSB4) to the latest (GSB7), I now get very poor result with all -R media.
What’s worse, I tried flashing back the original firmware and the situation has somehow improved, but not quite to the same level as before. So, although it sounds weird, it looks like a permanent “damage”.
Fortunately, the quality of +R burning is better than ever, so I’ve simply (and reluctantly…) abandoned -R.

I burned one DVD with GS0F and towards the end, it was unplayable on my Toshiba DVD player. I would get blocks, horrible artifacts and then it stopped playing. Re-flashed with GS0C and problems went away.

Well from the responses it sounds like mainly the -R writing is poor with this new firmware. I wonder if they changed the write stratedgy.

Just to clarify, im not talking about just poor kprobe results (seems that can happen some times) i have two disks that cannot be completely read back from the burner.

I tried to do a read speed test to see if kprobe was giving false reports, but the speed was often slow, and the disk failed before the end of the test.

I use recordnow DX, patched to latest patch. I did wonder if the drive was writing at 8x (media is rated at 4x) but no, the speed was definitely 4x.

I just tried burning some -R discs last night on my GS0F. Ended up churning out 4 coasters. Strange thing is, back when I was at GS0C, these discs (from the same spindle) burned just fine and read perfectly. When I put the discs I burnt last night into my drive, the drive struggles, and eventually, Windows says that the disc aren’t readable.

This is my first time burning -R since getting GS0F, and it’s quite a disappointment. But I’m keeping GS0F because +R quality has improved a lot, and I burn many more +R discs than I do -R discs. :slight_smile:

I don’t use either GS0C or GS0F!! For my drive, both firmware gives me poor KProbe result… but as long as your drives/players can read the disc, forget about KProbe. It could be a waste of time :iagree:

I just burnt my first -R coaster with the new GS0F firmware. The very end of the disc can’t be read on the burner. Previously I had major problems burning -R with the GS0C firmware - none of my Ricoh G04 would work but the new firmware doesn’t seem to much better (though I have no more Ricoh media to try). All +R /+RW have been great but that doesn’t do me much good because all the inkjet printable media I can find are -R.

now it is interesting that other users start to report on some “permanent” change after flashing their firmware and the invalidity of KProbe. My post: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91483

I’m now having very bad scan, nero data verification failure, etc on my burns now. Another interesting thing is, even with the data verification failure, I can still read all my files fine, whereas other burns when it passed the verification on another burn, the files are not readable. :confused:

Originally posted by totalz
I don’t use either GS0C or GS0F!! For my drive, both firmware gives me poor KProbe result… but as long as your drives/players can read the disc, forget about KProbe. It could be a waste of time :iagree:

What firmware do you use?