LiteON 811S-HSOP firmware causes loud noises inside the drive during boot!

vbimport

I’ve updated to the latest official HSOP, so far no complaints, except that I notice this loud torture noise whenever my system restarts! Sounds like a head that is being dragged and banged across the stopped repeatedly… (BZZRRZRRZRRZRRT). It doesn’t happen each restart however.

Why is this ? Does this put wear and tear on the unit and can it disalign the head ?

I do frequent drivers update and maintenance that require me to restart my PC, and I would hate for my drive to go bad because of this.

I noticed someone wrote a thread about this as well but it got deleted. Is this some conspiracy or a “feature” added by Liteon so you can ruin your drive faster and buy a new one ?

Forgive my paranoid-ness (new word) but when I see threads exposing liteon issues get deleted I always get a little suspicious
:slight_smile:

Try going back to a older firmware, or the firmware you were using when it wasn’t happening :cool:

A few weeks ago, I brought 2 liteon 411s (from circuitcity) and upgraded one of them to fs0f and it worked fine. I then upgraded to fs0h and it made that buzzing noise upon bootup too. The burner made a buzzing noise every time I rebooted the computer. Also, it took unusually long to recognize a recordable dvd/cdr media once you pop into your computer. Downgraded the firmware to fs0f but it have the same problem, but I think it fixed the issue about the media taking so long to be recognized in the computer. I ended up selling it to my friend.

On my 2nd 411s, I did the same thing, upgraded to fs0f, then to fs0h but no buzzing noises. Had no issues with it, so this burner is a keeper. Guess it is a problem with the drive but not something you can sent back for repair I guess.

@Rimmer66
Right when I updated to HSOP noticed the noise also.
No other problems though.
Gonna try going back to HSOK and will post results.

Yep noise gone. Rebooted a few times to see if I could hear it but it’s gone.
Rimmer66 try this and tell me if the noise goes away too.

I was hoping for more reassuring posts :slight_smile:

I am fully aware I can revert back thank you :bigsmile:

However I am satisfied with HS0P, and don’t want to have to go to an older firmware, I just want to know what the hell this torture sound is, and if it’s harmful to my drive.

BTW I have a simple tip to avoid this from happening. Simply keep a DVD inside your writer (blank or full doesn’t matter), when rebooting you won’t hear the loud torture noise, only the simple seeking noise. :slight_smile:

Now since those **ckers at LiteON do not respond and ignore all of their customers I was wondering seeing that there are some people here in close relation to LiteON if it were possible to ask them why HSOP adds this noise and if it’s harmful.

Maybe give the newer 4KUS OEM HSG8 firmware a try. I’m using it, but haven’t really payed attention to see if the noise was gone or not.

How loud are these sounds. I listen close to HSOP and HSOK and they seems to make the same sound. A little bit of grinding but no banging. Are we talking about the same sound. Just wondering.

Originally posted by sleepyi
How loud are these sounds. I listen close to HSOP and HSOK and they seems to make the same sound. A little bit of grinding but no banging. Are we talking about the same sound. Just wondering.

Enough noise to scare the cats (eventhough I don’t have cats!)

A noise as if there is an explosion inside the drive, so loud you’d think 3 times and the drive will die :slight_smile:

THAT bad

I plan on speaking with my attorney and getting my money back unless LiteON replies to my e-mails.