LiteOn 811s and Bad Media Results Experience

Hello to everyone :smiley:
I bought my 811s at Christmas 2003 and had no problems at all with it . The drive came with firmware HSOE.
The media i used where Princo - R and Tayo Yuden - R and +R all x4.
All buned at x4 (movies) without any problems and played to standalone DVD players Samsung DVD E232 and Pioneer DV-454 with no problems at all.
Then… i updated the firmware to HSOK and everything was going well as with the original firmware until … i made the mistake to update to HSOP. And that’s where the problems started.
Out of a pack of 25 Princos, at least 15 burned with errors especialy at the end of the discs. (by that time i haven’t read the bad sesults of those discs). The discs where played well in Samsung until the point of error on disc where the movie would freeze for a while, show some small rectangles on screen, and then go on. On the other hand, Pioneer refused to play from that particular point of disc and freezed completely. Had to unplug it from power to eject the disc. Same thing happened in WinDVD latest version.
As i was frustrated by the results, i turned back to Tayo Yuden x2 and burned with no problems. Also tried Intenso DVD-R x4 and another brand x2 i don’t recall at this time and all went well with no errors. Lately i purchased a pack of Mitsui - R x4. The first one burned at x4 OK but wasn’t recognized by the PC or the DVD players at all and went straight to the garbage. The second at x2 burned well.
Until now, from my small experience with different DVD media types i’ve come to these conclusions.

1. LiteOn 811s is an average low cost DVD burner with a selective performance depending on medias. Also with bad support from LiteOn.
  2. Latest firmware HSOP is BAD. Why they don’t allow us to go back to previous versions of firmware?!
  3. You might write a DVD successfully that might play on your DVD Player but won’t play on anothers.
  4. Slower burning speeds leed to successfull copies 100% playable.
  5. The road of DVD burning is long and manufacturers are still at the begining.
    And a small advice to future buyers.
    So if i had a second chance to choose a burner what would i do?
    definitely, i wouldn’t buy LiteOn. Definitely i wouldn’t buy any DVD burner now that industry is experimenting with greater speeds. It is better to wait for a couple of years for the Dual Layer Burners to come out in the market, to wait until they are tested well and then buy one. Same story as for the CD recorders as you all know.

My lesson for now:
Buy expensive brand media.
Burn all media at the lowest speed for the best result with fewer errors.

Thanks for your time and congratulations for your excellent site.
:cool:

I feel HS0K is superior to HS0P as well. You can downgrade by using ltnflash Be careful though, read the guide first :http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84566)

You can get all firmwares at speedlabs.org

Latest firmware HSOP is BAD. Why they don’t allow us to go back to previous versions of firmware?!

You can always go back…
Use this tool.

So if i had a second chance to choose a burner what would i do? definitely, i wouldn’t buy LiteOn. Definitely i wouldn’t buy any DVD burner now that industry is experimenting with greater speeds. It is better to wait for a couple of years for the Dual Layer Burners to come out in the market, to wait until they are tested well and then buy one.

Sorry to hear that.
BTW, why wait for “a couple of years for the DLB”. First ones will be released this summer. :cool:

EDIT:
@ All forum members…BE CAREFUL WHEN USING ltnflash.
This tool should only be used as an “last resource”!!! :wink:

Originally posted by Aristarhos
1. LiteOn 811s is an average low cost DVD burner with a selective performance depending on medias. Also with bad support from LiteOn.

That’s why we’re here :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve never had to contact LiteOn but I have heard they can be troublesome to get ahold of sometimes.

2. Latest firmware HSOP is BAD. Why they don’t allow us to go back to previous versions of firmware?!

HS0K is recommended (by me) for +R burning. Stick with HS0E or for -R burning.

3. You might write a DVD successfully that might play on your DVD Player but won’t play on anothers.

This is true of any marginal media burnt on most DVD burners. There are lots of “picky” players out there.

4. Slower burning speeds leed to successfull copies 100% playable.

Not true in all cases. For example, Ritek G04 media burns with much more errors at 2x when comared to 4x.

My lesson for now:
Buy expensive brand media.

I agree with the moral of the story. Don’t buy marginal media!

Nice first post btw. :smiley:

I had problems with the media bundled with my 811S (way to go LiteON…) I have heard reports from a review site that they had the same problems with bundled media (which is likely a bad batch).

Ever sine I’ve bought new brands, and ANY brands I use even the best ones have extremely high PI/PO (note I booktype them to DVD-ROM).

I use Mxell DVD+R RICOHPNR01 and get PI’s in the thousands! (scanned at 4x ECC 8) and PO values in the hundreds. Using Memorex, same crap, using tayo yuden same bloody crap no matter what media, the FUNNY thing is that when I run nero scandisc, all blocks are GREEN, not a single yellow (damaged sector) and the disc plays fine on my standalone DVD Player from start to finish without a skip, pause or anything, perfect playback :smiley: I’ve also done a BIT for bit binary compare on the written DVD vs. the original DVD, and they came out IDENTICAL. So the moral of the story is, I could always make a backup to a new media should I ever run into problems, given the data is intact and fully readable :smiley:

I know this will sound weird and I’m puzzled as to why my 811 gives very higih PI/PO readings, and yet the discs are perfect :slight_smile:

Taking the disc on another LiteON produces similar high readings as well - I guess it’s definately a LiteON issue and poor writing strategy, and the robust error correction kicking in ? At any rate, the high error rate has nothing to do with longevity of the media, given what I use is good quality media, so as long as all the data can be readable 100% I’m fine with it :slight_smile:

The Kprobe scan reading starts off decent, no POs, and starting PI is usually within 10-15. Then towards the middle will start to climb gradually in the 100’s, until it reaches the end over 400-500 and POs in the 100’s. Yet the disc plays fine in my DVD Player and when it arrives at that spot the movie keeps playing smoothly, no skip, no pauses, :slight_smile: (APEX AD1200). I also hear the APEX is picky about media.

On some disc my PIs are litteraly in the thousands. I’ve never burnt one ***g disc within the PI/PO specs PI<280 and PO<32, and I’ve never had one coaster or one disc fail on me. Talk about freaky sh LOL!