Liteon 5w48 from Pacific Digital

I believe the Pacific Digital 5W48 is a rebadged LTR 48125w. I got one and flashed it to a LTR 48125w without any problems. Seems to work fine and burns everything I ask. Anyone else have one of these drives and if so can you confirm that the 5W48 is the same as the LTR 48125W? I have also heard that the 5W48 is the same as the 48125w except it is 24X rewriteable instead of 12X. Anyone with knowledge? TIA

It wouldn’t take the flash if it weren’t a Mediatek 5 chipset, which makes it a 48125W. This same fact also makes it impossible for it to RW at any more than 12x. For 24x RW you would need to have the Mediatec 6 shipset, ala LTR-48246S.

Thanks for the prompt answer. I thought that since I used mkflash that it would flash the CDRW even if it was not the correct model of machine and that all mkflash checked was the presence of a mediatek chipset (I admit to limited knowledge is this area). I tried the Liteon VS08.exe flash first, to flash it and it would not flash. However mkflash (after extracting the basic bin file from VS08.exe) worked like a charm. So am I correct in now understanding that mkflash would not flash it to the liteon 48125w unless it was the same machine?

am I correct in now understanding that mkflash would not flash it to the liteon 48125w unless it was the same machine?

You are correct, although technically, any of the 5 chipset drives can be flashed to the 48125W, including 40x and 32x drives.

Thanks for the informative responses. Glad you’re here.