LiteOn 52246S Firmware

vbimport

hey,
i was just wondering which is the best firmware to use for the 52246S.
i just bought a litey 52x and flashed to 680D for some reason, cause im a newb and i dont know if that was such a good idea.
any ways, which is the best firmware to use.

btw, what is the original firmware that comes with the 52246S, and is it possible to revert back to it?

Thanks

Original firmware that comes w/ the 52246S differs on what month the drive’s produced, so there’s no definite answer. As for reverting back to a older f/w, use mtkflash or winmtkflash.

The newest f/w for said drive is 6S0D, but quite a few people claimed it’s buggy for their system. You could try 6S0A, don’t remember anyone complaining about that one. However, the thing w/ flashing f/w is, if your shed’s working, don’t mess with it.

Originally posted by BoBo
is it possible to revert back to it?

You should have backed up the original first.
Since you’ve changed it for a new FW, there’s no way of getting it back.

there’s no way of getting it back, but flashing to an older firmware is still possible. :wink:

Originally posted by AZImmortal
…but flashing to an older firmware is still possible. :wink:
Well, it kinda goes without saying :bigsmile:

thanks for input
but in your opinion, which firmware do you guys think is the best/most stable etc. for the litey 52246S

6S0D here, it has made improvements in 24x RW burn quality and over-all read quality as well. No “bugs” on it.

Originally posted by BoSkin
Well, it kinda goes without saying :bigsmile:

that statement was for BoBo, not u BoSkin. :bigsmile:

i’m also using 6S0D w/o problems.

Not exactly sure if it is 6S0D that caused it, but after I flashed to 6S0D, I can no longer erase or write to my Memorex 4x CDRW anymore (Power Calibration Error). Tried flashed back to 6S0A, 6S0C, used ForceASPI, flashed motherboard firmware (some people have problem with Plextor and the Asus P4S8X mb)…etc. No luck at all.

My Verbatim 24x CDRW still works though

I can no longer erase or write to my Memorex 4x CDRW anymore

This is apt to happen most any time with that particular media.

I just don’t understand why it worked flawlessly before, but just happened after I flashed to 6S0D, which led me to blame on 6S0D.

my CDRW totally screwed over i can’t burn any cd no more without getting error since i flashed to 6S0D…

Originally posted by pkstylez
my CDRW totally screwed over i can’t burn any cd no more without getting error since i flashed to 6S0D…
you should try flashing an older firm, then, and after that please tell us if it works fine (i have an overclocked 48246s, so i’m pretty interested :bigsmile: ).

i flashed to 6S0C its still kinda busted for some reason then flashed to 6S0D and now i can burn CD occassioanlly but most of the time it’ll just screw up i dunno whats wrong

Originally posted by pkstylez
i flashed to 6S0C its still kinda busted for some reason then flashed to 6S0D and now i can burn CD occassioanlly but most of the time it’ll just screw up i dunno whats wrong

This may sound strange, but try it anyway.

Download a .bin of the firmware. (Dyzan has a wonderful webpage: http://liteon.notrix.net/ )

Flash your drive with MTKFlash (The DOS version).

Then try your drive again.

I have a feeling (but no proof) that too many flashes with the Lite On updater leaves residue behind in the firmware. IE: I feel it doesn’t overwrite ALL banks. Only the ones that need changing.

I’ve flashed upwards all the way since 6S02 in Novemer 2002. That’s:
6S04 (unofficial)
6S07
6S08 (unofficial)
6S0A
6S0C (my current firmware is 6S0C)
6S0D (would not go to DMA mode, stuck in PIO4)

I’ve flashed backwards a couple of times by using FlashFix to patch the Lite On firmware and using it.

Of all the flashes I’ve done, the DOS based MTK Flash seem to have been more thorough, and they also took much longer as a result. You can see the progress as each bank is flashed.

It’s just a feeling, with no proof.

But humour me, give it a try.