Liteon 5005 Thumbnails

vbimport

Nothing I do gets the thumbnails to insert. Doesn’t work manually or automatically. All recordings have only one thumbnail - the one at the beginning of the recording. Any ideas?

All together now…1, 2, 3…READ THE MANUAL!!!

@Raised Grain - :bow: :bigsmile:

@Decodenny - it would make using the Liteon a little easier

I didnt find this in the manual! As for thumbnails when recording from VHS tape, or another disc player:

A thumbnail is created when a recording first begins , correct.
So, in order to select a thumbnail of your choice, advance the source video-(vhs or other disc player) to video frame of your choice as thumbnail for a chapter.
Now, start – then PAUSE the recorder an instant later. What you have done is frozen a frame , that you selected , as a thumbnail.
Next, rewind the VHS tape , or disc , to a beginning point of current chapter, which could even be black fade-in , done on a camcorder for instance.
>>Press PAUSE again (or record)… You will get the fade in (if exists)–or in any case, the opening frames of current chapter you’re working on, but you will have pre-selected the frame which will represent that chapter to your liking.
You must now STOP the recorder…in order to create a new thumbnail for next chapter, in same manner above. Re-pausing will not allow you to create the new thumbnail.
Hope this is clear…it does the job.

Du-oh, why didn’t I think of that? Maybe because I did, and it is supposed to thumbnail every 10 minutes or when I manually edit it - it does neither. I record exclusively (so far) off of the satellite box, so their is no way to rewind anything. It just sits there humming and recording.

It is not supposed to thumbnail every ten minutes or when you hit the edit button! What that does is insert a chapter mark for navigating through the dvd instead of hitting the fast forward or rewind button. Nowhere in the manual does it say it inserts a thumbnail at intervals or when you hit the edit button.

in mrlewp’s post he had
“You must now STOP the recorder…in order to create a new thumbnail for next chapter, in same manner above. Re-pausing will not allow you to create the new thumbnail.
Hope this is clear…it does the job.”

Recording off the satellite and not being able to control it you will only have 1 thumbnal at the beginning of the recording but you will have chapter marks (without thumbnails) to advance back and forth through the recording at the interval you did in the setup or whenever you hit the edit button.

Du - oh I don’t think you did read the manual and the responses to your post. You started the sarcasm not me. Again read the manual and of course responses to your posts. If you don’t understand ask another question but without the sarcasm.

Edit - the 5005 records in sessions, when you hit record and when you hit stop or when a timed recording starts and stops = a session. On page 25 of my manulal it shows 6 thumbnails and then says pick a session. Have you ever made more than 1 session on a dvd to see the difference?

Hi:
Good job. Very thorough response, jm1647. Sometimes we read without comprehending what we have read.

Decodenny - If for some reason you have made a recording and really need thumbnails at each chapter point the only way to do this is to re-edit it via computer and re-burn the resulting disc.

And this is NOT in the manual :slight_smile:

Everyone will sometime misread or not understand something. When I do, the comeback is usually can you explain further, what did you do to make it work, or something along that line. Not “Du-oh, why didn’t I think of that? Maybe because I did, and it is supposed to” do this or happen this way or whatever. He came for help he got it, didn’t understand it and then became a wiseguy.

Hi:
Deco Denny, we’re not here to beat the crap out of anybody. The help that is available here and other forums is a very fortunate situation for the vast majority of users. The expertise and knowledge that is shared by the moderator and friends is sometimes more to the point, faster and more accurate than emailing and telephoning a tech that cannot speak our language correctly. So, I’m sorry I ruffled your feathers but by reading the manual thoroughly and using the search function, most of our questions can be answered. Nuf said.

John

Hope this helps clear the confusion about chapter thumbnails with the Lite On recorders. I have a 5006 which I’m pleased with. I recorded a cable broadcasted movie Thru super video cable input from my cable box. Sound is great, picture is awesome. I just though for those who have not yet discovered this, the 5006,and I believe all the others will not only insert a chapter mark at your preselected interval, but ALSO a Chapter Thumbnail! The chapter thumbs )though not visible on the Lite on recorder during playback) show up when it’s played on both my Sony players as well as on a Panasonic I have too! Please try this guys, and let me know if it works for you as well. Hope this made someones day a little better. Thanks all for the great tips and input here…it’s a life saver in many cases…this Forum is Great! till later… Bob (in New York)

I tried playing a DVD with PowerDVD, but the Chapters Menu is greyed out.