Liteon 5005 problems Talk here:

vbimport

Does anybody still have any of the following problems after their recent upgrade-- still:

1. The poor contrast problem(the snow)- i.e. like when its turned all all the way down on the tv.
  2. jerkyness or jitter i.e. picture jumping –slow down
  3. picture freezing up even while only watching the tv tuner “no recording”
  4. blocky blur
  5. picture freezing up during play back –seems like its not playing directly off the disc—like its loading the material into some temp memory i.e picture freezing and the drive trys to load the temp memory and then play continues.
  6. the green tint problem
  7. when recording a disc –if I let it record on it’s own for the full 2 hours formatted for –it won’t let me finalize the disc.
  8. won’t let me format dvd-rw unless the region of the recorder is what it is supposed to be originally.

Of course if you know any more please list them…

I’ve got the latest (hacked) upgrades (0098) and I’ve got the green tint problem.

I haven’t experienced any of the other problems.

Clearifiing problem seven (7) I format a dvd disc for two hours to record program --I let it go on it’s own --when I come back to unit 3 hours later to finalize the disk it won’t let me.

1. Problably is that it adds time to the clock (a few seconds every day.)

Hexmechanic,
I’ve got the jump/jitter, the green hue which is not so bad thru the S-video but terrible thru composite connects front & back & last but not least the clock gaining time by a few seconds daily.
Thanks,
had1

i hav’nt tried the hack but i still have jerky jitter picture after updateing with LNFF-4098.ES3 from Liteon firmware update site

There is one important fact I’d like to stress:

ALL WIRE IS NOT CREATED EQUAL!!!

Truthfully, there are physical characteristics of the wire itself that tend to limit the quality of video signal you can get from it.

One thing that seems to attract interference with a composite video coax is –if the cable has a bare copper wire mesh shield for the ground wire. Better cable has a tinned copper mesh. Another thing is the amount and type of insulation used on the center conductor and whether that conductor is solid or stranded.

One thing I’ve also noticed with factory preassembled composite video cables is that not all the wire strands of the ground mesh are soldered to the RCA connector. I guess the factory was either in a rush for mass assembly or they feel it’s not necessary for all of the ground wire to be attached.

As I have mentioned before there are a lot of metal RCA connectors which do not have any silicone rubber to block interference between the positive center pole and the negative.

Also I’d like you to know that some low end composite video cables have a steel spring for strain relief –it looks like brass but its not and its magnetic and can be a cause of some interference problems (i.e.black curvy lines) even if it has silicone rubber covering everything inside the RCA connector.

So what do I recommend for everybody is monster cable M1000-series composite video cable. Then unscrew the connector and fill it with silicone rubber. Also there are noise clamps specifically designed to go on power cable, RF cable, and audio cables. They increase the resistance at the input jacks to block RFI interference.

Of course you could always make your own cables.