LiteOn 48x12x40x problem WinXP (LTR 40125W)

vbimport

Recently purchased a new 48x12x40x LiteOn burner and im having a problem right from the get-go. It just wont read any cds at all. Yes it detects in bios and windows. But Nero just keeps wanting me to insert blank media and explorer just sees nothing on any cd inserted. I have searched for the last couple of hours on google and LiteOn site for solutions but no success. Normally i can find a solution to these types of problems but with this one im just drawing a blank . Im using Win XP by the way. Specs in sig. It works in Win98 though.......the drive does not appear in Windows XP HCL list though.....only the S versions do appear to be supported in XP.

Any ideas? Many thanks to anyone who has any suggestions

Ive tried the following:

(1) Swapped my rounded cables for normal ide ones
(2) Swapped primary and master ides
(3) Tried ALL combinations of Master/Primary/Cable Select
(4) Tried the Upper and Lower fix
(5) Tried disabling Windows XP Roxio built in burning support
(6) Checked DMA for the drive (and also checked in bios)
(7) Tried fresh install of XP
(8) Tried various versions of Nero but basically windows wont see any cds anyways.....
(9) I havent tried any firmware updates but i dont beleive i should have to for it to work in XP

1. Check / install ASPI 4.6 or 4.7
  2. another, perhaps stupid, suggestion: make sure the CD-R you are using is ok.

Originally posted by burnproof
1. Check / install ASPI 4.6 or 4.7
2. another, perhaps stupid, suggestion: make sure the CD-R you are using is ok.

Burnproof…i already have ASPI 4.70 installed and windows wont even see anything on any disks at all. When i go into explorer the cdrw drive just shows no files with any cd i put in including music, burned cds, games, etc etc. Although the disk is detected properly in bios and windows as being a LiteOn 48x12x40x

Sorry about that. There were some comments in another thread about ASPI 4.7 screwing up XP. Works fine for me though.

There’s also a Microsoft fix related to CD drive and missing file problems that you might try out.

Check this out too:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

This might solve your problem, if the above doesn’t

Originally posted by Mr Chilled
[B]Recently purchased a new 48x12x40x LiteOn burner and im having a problem right from the get-go. It just wont read any cds at all. Yes it detects in bios and windows. But Nero just keeps wanting me to insert blank media and explorer just sees nothing on any cd inserted. I have searched for the last couple of hours on google and LiteOn site for solutions but no success. Normally i can find a solution to these types of problems but with this one im just drawing a blank . Im using Win XP by the way. Specs in sig. It works in Win98 though…the drive does not appear in Windows XP HCL list though…only the S versions do appear to be supported in XP.

Any ideas? Many thanks to anyone who has any suggestions

Ive tried the following:

(1) Swapped my rounded cables for normal ide ones
(2) Swapped primary and master ides
(3) Tried ALL combinations of Master/Primary/Cable Select
(4) Tried the Upper and Lower fix
(5) Tried disabling Windows XP Roxio built in burning support
(6) Checked DMA for the drive (and also checked in bios)
(7) Tried fresh install of XP
(8) Tried various versions of Nero but basically windows wont see any cds anyways…
(9) I havent tried any firmware updates but i dont beleive i should have to for it to work in XP [/B]

If you have Clone CD installed please verify that “Hide CDR Media” is disabled.

[B]Sorry about that. There were some comments in another thread about ASPI 4.7 screwing up XP. Works fine for me though.

There’s also a Microsoft fix related to CD drive and missing file problems that you might try out.

Check this out too:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

This might solve your problem, if the above doesn’t

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tips_fixes.htm [/B]

No no dont be sorry…im VERY appreciative of any help anyone can give me. This problem has really got me stumped :confused:

Ive tried both suggestions here and no good…the drive did change its activity though, but same result in the end - no files on cd…

Stamatis: Thanks for the suggestion. What ive done is completely remove clonecd from my system…still results in same behaviour…no files on cd

Here’s one from the horse’s mouth:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455&&GSSNB=1

See if you can read the files from dos prompt…

[B]Here’s one from the horse’s mouth:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311455&&GSSNB=1

See if you can read the files from dos prompt… [/B]

Yes ive seen this fix and tried that one

Ive just tried it again though and no good again.

Oh and i cant see any files on that drive from the command prompt either

Try the following:

1. Switch off your pc. Disconnect all CD/DVD drives (Remove the IDE cable and the power supply along with any audio cables).

2. Boot up your machine. From the device manager, uninstall the secondary IDE channel and all optical drives, if any are present.

3. Reboot.

4. Verify that secondary IDE is now installed and that no CD/DVD etc are present.

5. Shutdown

6. Connect your drives in whatever sequence you want. Boot up and verify that all drives are recognised in Device Manager.

7. Check your disc in explorer and see if it works.

Two questions:

1. XP has a problem recognising the CD drive or burner if there is a disc inside at boot time. Remove any discs before booting up.

2. Do you have daemon tools installed?

Do all the above without any RAID / IDE cards etc installed. If the drive is recognised, you can keep adding one add-on card at a time and see which one might need to have some additional drivers or is causing a conflict etc.

Too, do not load any additional IDE drivers etc apart from what comes with the OS. For instance, the Intel Accelerator.

One more straw:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=4208

I hope this helps, though I can’t be sure!

[B]Try the following:

1. Switch off your pc. Disconnect all CD/DVD drives (Remove the IDE cable and the power supply along with any audio cables).

2. Boot up your machine. From the device manager, uninstall the secondary IDE channel and all optical drives, if any are present.

3. Reboot.

4. Verify that secondary IDE is now installed and that no CD/DVD etc are present.

5. Shutdown

6. Connect your drives in whatever sequence you want. Boot up and verify that all drives are recognised in Device Manager.

7. Check your disc in explorer and see if it works.

Two questions:

1. XP has a problem recognising the CD drive or burner if there is a disc inside at boot time. Remove any discs before booting up.

2. Do you have daemon tools installed? [/B]

Ok now i have a little success :slight_smile:

After doing all of the above i inserted an audio cd and it actually read the cd! BUT…winamp played a couple of songs and crashed. Then i inserted the Nero cd that came with the drive and it wouldnt read it. I inserted some burned cds and it didnt work. I tried the Audigy cd that came with my soundcard and no good. Reinserted the audio cd and didnt work the second time around. This is bizarre…
Ive installed the 4.71 ASPI also - didnt seem to make a difference.
Ive also removed all cds before booting. I dont have daemon tools installed.

Do it see the CD if it’s inserted before XP starts?

Had the same problem never figured it out, but it worked after a reinstall(total format and reinstall)…

Think I’m going back to w2k though much better/stable.

Did not have any bluescreens or anything during a whole year.

Now I have 2-3 bluescreens every day :frowning:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr Chilled
[B]Recently purchased a new 48x12x40x LiteOn burner and im having a problem right from the get-go.

[cut]

Two ideas:
#1 if drive is connected to any souncard - disconnect it and
try to use burner again.

If it will not work, try next trick.

#2 “remove” in WinXP hardware manger IDE controler on which burner is connected, let WinXP will detect it again.

I hope that one of that tricks will help.

PS. Sorry for my awfull english.

Mr. Chilled,

Once an app crashes / hangs etc., always reboot. Now that the problem is localised to the OS, there are a lot more steps to be followed.

1. Search for a website called Tweak XP or something similar. They have a lot of tweaks listed. You might need quite a few of them.

2. Go to the Windows update site. Install all relevant updates. Ideally, you need to reboot after each update.

3. There is one key in the registry that needs to be deleted. This causes long wait times when reading some drives, esp over the network. Sorry, I don’t remember the URL. Search with google.

4. If you’re using XP Home, switch to XP Pro or Corp / OEM, if you can get them. Relatively, the latter SEEM to be more stable.

5. Unless you HAVE to have XP running, change to Win 2000. After XP SP1 is released, you might evaluate XP again.

6. If you want to persist using XP, do what OC-Freak did. Repartition, reformat and do a clean install (NOT upgrading 98/2000/Me to XP). Then go to step 2. Then step 1.

7. Then, and only then, start installing any other applications. This will save a lot of wasted effort in case anything goes wrong during the re-installation / tweak process.

Good luck.

Thought this was a Liteon forum :stuck_out_tongue:

#1 if drive is connected to any souncard - disconnect it and

Easier way is to “Disable Digital Audio for this drive” from drive properties. Saves the effort of opening up your pc. And this is usually enough to rectify conflicts, if any

Well im off to bed for now. Tomorrow morning i will try some last fixes mentioned just above. Failing that i will do a full re-install and see how that goes.

And I sincerely appreciate the great effort you guys have gone to to help me out tonight (especially burnproof).

Ill let you guys know how i go tomorrow :slight_smile:

Hi,

don’t wont to disappoint You, but I’m affraid Your problem is related to Your drive, not to something else. I had the same problem with my brand new LTR-32123s. Exactly the same. I tried everything, WinXP, Win 2k, W98, flashing, etc. But there were no cure. After 7 days I went back to the computer store and swapped the drive.

Another doesn’t have this problem. So, save Your nerves and time and do this. It is up to hardware.

Zmaj.

Originally posted by zmaj
[B]Hi,

don’t wont to disappoint You, but I’m affraid Your problem is related to Your drive, not to something else. I had the same problem with my brand new LTR-32123s. Exactly the same. I tried everything, WinXP, Win 2k, W98, flashing, etc. But there were no cure. After 7 days I went back to the computer store and swapped the drive.

Another doesn’t have this problem. So, save Your nerves and time and do this. It is up to hardware.

Zmaj. [/B]

Ive been back to the shop and they plugged it straight into a PC with windows 98 and it worked straight away right before my very eyes. The drive is fine…this is an XP related problem in my case.

At least in my experience, the problem has invariably been XP. I had a nice working drive burning away to glory. Then, like a fool, I decided to check out XP. Worked great for a few days, then I had problems reading discs etc.

Did a clean boot with Win 2000 and now everything works fine.

Perhaps the forthcoming SP might provide for some improvement.

Strange,

what exactly Nero log file says? Look up the word “Key sence” or something like that.

Zmaj.