LiteOn 48x doesn't write on Platinum CDR anymore

I’ve got a LiteON 40x writer @ 48x.

This always worked fine, until about an hour ago. When I try to write on a Platinum CDR, at 83% (700,00MB file) the burn process fails (write error).

All other brands of CDRs (Emtec, Verbatim, Philips, Speerdata, Ultron, MMore) work on the LiteOn, and the Platinums work fine on my 12x SCSI Plextor burner…

I just upgraded my firmware but that did not help anything.

I don’t get it… I can’t see how the drive could get incompatible with certain media somewhere in the middle of a spindle:confused:

Part of the logging:

0:42:21 #13 Phase 32 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1653
Simulation started at 48x (7.200 KB/s)

0:42:21 #14 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1963
Verifying CD position of item 0 (relocatable, CD pos, no patch infos, orig at #0): write at #0

0:42:21 #15 Text 0 File Mmc.cpp, Line 12866
StartDAO : CD-Text - Off

0:42:21 #16 Text 0 File Mmc.cpp, Line 17311
Set BUFE: supported -> ON , SMART-BURN : ON

0:42:21 #17 Text 0 File Mmc.cpp, Line 13124
CueData, Len=32
41 00 00 14 00 00 00 00
41 01 00 10 00 00 00 00
41 01 01 10 00 00 02 00
41 aa 01 14 00 4f 11 0a

0:44:53 #18 SCSI -1135 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1402
SCSI Exec, HA 1, TA 1, LUN 0, buffer 0x03E00000
HA-Status 0x00 (0x00, OK)
TA-Status 0x02 (0x01, SCSI_TASTATUS_CHKCOND)
Sense Key: 0x03 (KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR)
Sense Code: 0x0C
Sense Qual: 0x00
CDB Data: 0x2A 0x00 0x00 0x05 0x6C 0xB4 0x00 0x00 0x1F 0x00 0x00 0x00
Sense Data: 0x71 0x00 0x03 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0A
0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0C 0x00

0:44:53 #19 MMC -1135 File Writer.cpp, Line 331
Write error

0:44:53 #20 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 219
all writers idle, stopping conversion

0:44:59 #21 Phase 34 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1653
Simulation failed at 48x (7.200 KB/s)

0:44:59 #22 Text 0 File Scsicmd.cpp, Line 406
SCSI not using temporary buffers
20 out of 20 temporary buffers allocated

I can’t see how the drive could get incompatible with certain media somewhere in the middle of a spindle
That’s easy. For example by changing from Ritek to Digital Storage Technology in the middle of the spindle…

Originally posted by alexnoe
That’s easy. For example by changing from Ritek to Digital Storage Technology in the middle of the spindle…

I already thought of that ;)… but it’s not the case, the discs are identical…!

Perhaps anything else you are aware of? This problem really is strange…

Maybe it will switch back to working 3/4ths of the way through :bigsmile:

might just be a bad batch? try doing a lucky dip in the spindle and try to write to another one.

Originally posted by slayerking
might just be a bad batch? try doing a lucky dip in the spindle and try to write to another one.

Did that as well… I even opened a new spindle, same problem!

Yup that’s very normal with Platinum, they are totally unreliable. How do you know they are the same, did you do an ATIP check ? Also make sure you clean them.

Else post the ATIP here and Alex probably knows which firmware you should get…

well as other discs work ok, it can only mean that the cd-r’s you have are of crappy quality. I’ve been using ricoh cd-r’s lately and they seem really good i havn’t had one bad one yet but i’ve only used about 100 of them

Originally posted by DoMiN8ToR
Yup that’s very normal with Platinum, they are totally unreliable. How do you know they are the same, did you do an ATIP check ? Also make sure you clean them.

I always clean them, Platinum CDRs do have a tendency to be kinda dusty…

Not reliable… I’ve heard that before :). As I’ve used over 5000 of those CDRs without much problems, I seriously doubt that.
Maybe if you buy the sleeved disks (those aren’t coated as well), but I’ve never had problems with the discs on spindle.

Burners I’ve used with them: Plextor 12x and LiteOn 48x.

Else post the ATIP here and Alex probably knows which firmware you should get…

I’ll do that when I get home tonight.

This morning I succeeded in burning a Platinum CDR again, but only at 4x. Strange, they are rated 48x (most times I burn at 24x or 32x).

I’ll keep you updated…

As I’ve used over 5000 of those CDRs without much problems
Then you have had more luck than you deserve.

You should pray that none of them is made by DST, because they would be unreadable within a year (if kept in a proper environment; otherwise it’s going faster)

Maybe the temperature has something to do with it. Whenever it’s hot in my room my burner will not burn at 48x, only when it’s a cold day.

[B]Then you have had more luck than you deserve.

You should pray that none of them is made by DST, because they would be unreadable within a year (if kept in a proper environment; otherwise it’s going faster) [/B]

Why don’t I deserve the luck? :wink:

I got some Platinums of over 5 years old that are still readable without too much problems. Not that I really care, since it’s mostly old backups and old distro’s on them.

Anyhow, I read the ATIP of the discs:

Burned at 40x on my LiteOn

Media : CD-R/RW media
Media : CD-R media
Subtype: Medium Type A, low Beta category (A-)
Disc(Matrix) Manufacturer : Ritek Co.
Recording Characteristics : Short Strategy Type (ex. Phthalocyanine type media)
Indicative Target Writing Power : 4 mW
Use : Restricted
Capacity (nominal) : 702.82 Mb

On of the failing discs (tested 32x 40x 48x)

Media : CD-R/RW media
Media : CD-R media
Subtype: Medium Type A, low Beta category (A-)
Disc(Matrix) Manufacturer : Ritek Co.
Recording Characteristics : Short Strategy Type (ex. Phthalocyanine type media)
Indicative Target Writing Power : 4 mW
Use : Restricted
Capacity (nominal) : 702.82 Mb

Seem identical to me, don’t they?

Yes, the code is the same, but you can’t know B-grade from C-grade Riteks by reading the ATIP.

(no, Platinum certainly does not sell A-grade…)

[B]Yes, the code is the same, but you can’t know B-grade from C-grade Riteks by reading the ATIP.

(no, Platinum certainly does not sell A-grade…) [/B]

So how can I test that? In this case, I don’t see how to get any references, since the drive won’t burn the discs at the speeds I used to burn…

You can’t.

You can’t.

Hmpff thought so… too bad!

Thanx for your help (goes to everybody here) anyway. If I find something out, I’ll keep you updated.

I did some additional testing tonight.

Writing a Platinum CDR has succeeded once, with Nero Info tool. The disc was unreadable afterwards (there are even some “dark spots” on the written layer)…!!

Could perhaps firmware fix this problem?

A much easier fix would be using better discs… although a firmware update could fix it, i don’t know if LiteOn is wasting time with improving support for discs of such low quality.

A much easier fix would be using better discs… although a firmware update could fix it, i don’t know if LiteOn is wasting time with improving support for discs of such low quality.

Any firmware you can advise me? I’ve got VS0B right now…

The discs have to work… even my laptop cd writer writes them… and that really IS a crap writer…

There’s a bunch of firmwares you could try, but I doubt that this will help…how shall I predict which firmware will work if you use discs whereof 2 with the same ATIP are obviously different :confused: