LiteOn 451s - made in Taiwan or China?

vbimport

Just brought my 1st DVD burner 451s :smiley:

Made in China & manufactured in Dec 2003.
Packed with
one LiteOn DVD-R 4x (RITEKG04)
& one unbranded DVD+R 4X (RICOHJPNR01), a bit scratched though :sad:
& MyDVD suit & PowerDVD…

I was more expecting a good DVD+RW instead of the +R. But i’m really mad about the shop which i went yesterday and ask for the price and the info. They told me all their LiteOn drives are warranted by the official dealer. So i went back and bought one, and it’s not warranted by the official dealer but other unknown company :frowning:

I’m just wondering if anyone has a 451s that’s made in Taiwan?? And did it packed with something different than mine??

how do u hack the firmware so i can burn RICOHJPNR01 at 8x??
of course, that’s after i do the 451s@851s :cool:

thx

The method discussed here in the forum to convert the 451 to a 851 automatically patches the firmware during the process so that you can burn the Ricoh +R at 8x.

i got 451s made in taiwan (dec 2003). it came with 1 unbranded DVD+RW (RICOHJPN) and 1 DVD+R (RICOHJPN).

Originally posted by miszcz
i got 451s made in taiwan (dec 2003). it came with 1 unbranded DVD+RW (RICOHJPN) and 1 DVD+R (RICOHJPN).

I knew i was ripped off :a

thx for telling :sad:

code65536, do u mean the Ldw851fp program will also enable the hacked firmware to burn Ricoh@8x?? Please provide the link of the post!! thx

you don’t need hacked firmware to burn RICOHJPNR01 at 8x.
Most of the LiteOn official firmwares support them at 8x already.
Just use the newest 851 firmware.

RICOHJPNR01 is actually 4x +R rated media. From what I’ve gleaned from various threads, it seems that this media is capable of being written at 8x, the 811 officially supports writing it at 8x. However, because there is a lot of variance in the quality of this media (based on whether it was made in Japan or China), Lite-On decided to be safe and removed the support for it in the 851. There is a thread titled something along the lines of “has anyone gotten the 851 to burn at 8x” in which this is discussed a little and in which there is also a post on how you can manually hack your firmware to support 8x burning in the RICOHJPNR01.

Now, people writing about LDW851FP tool indicated that it actually does more than just remove checking and that it also patches the 851S firmware. So I had suspected that by “patching”, they meant that it added RICOHJPNR01 support. To verify this, I used LDW851FP to upgrade my 451 to a 851. And then I proceeded to hack my firmware to allow 8x burning for the 4x Ricoh. But when I tried to do that, I discovered that the modification had already been made (the various bytes that I needed to change were already changed). So I concluded after this that the LDW851FP not only removes the checking, but it also “updates” the 851 firmware for you. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t aware that LiteOn made drives in two seperate place. I thought they were all made in Taiwan. Anyone feel like ripping apart their computer and looking at their drives? :smiley:

Mine says “made in China.” But that doesn’t really mean anything because mainland China considers itself to be the legit ruler of TW and TW thinks that it’s the legit ruler of mainland China. So they BOTH refer to themselves as “China.” So just “made in China” could mean either TW or China. The only time you could tell is if it spells it out as “made in Taiwan” or “made in China, ROC” (TW) or “made in China, PROC” (mainland).

code65536,

thx for specifying a major function of LDW851FP, but i would still like to know how to “patch” the firmware manually!!

Originally posted by code65536
Mine says “made in China.” But that doesn’t really mean anything because mainland China considers itself to be the legit ruler of TW and TW thinks that it’s the legit ruler of mainland China. So they BOTH refer to themselves as “China.”…

Well, Taiwan is trying to be independent… :Z

All i’m asking where the 451s is made in is because i still think Taiwan has a better QA/QC!! It’s actually stated on the side of the box too, so no need ripping apart your computer :wink:

Originally posted by totalz
[B]code65536,

thx for specifying a major function of LDW851FP, but i would still like to know how to “patch” the firmware manually!![/B]

I think the info you are looking for is burried somewhere in this thread.

thx ssseth :bow: