LiteOn 411S for $79.95 after rebate at Best Buy

Went in to Best Buy this morning and was surprised to see the LiteOn 411S(retail) for $129.95 - $50 mail in rebate. This is a steal for this drive bringing the actual price down to $79.95. Grab them while they are still are in stock.

They also have a good deal on Memorex DVD+ or - 4x, 50 packs for $49.95. That’s less than $1 a disc.

I went and bought this this morning, flashed my optorite and blew it up, while waiting for a replacement, i bought this as a backup, this drive is a LDW-451S, cant find any firmware updates for this drive, read here that is a chip upgraded 411S, maybe same as the 811S, which maybe can be flashed to a 811S…well i can dream cant i?
Who knows did it with my 40-48x cdrw last yr

I’m not sure about the 451S you mentioned, but the drive I picked up this morning is a LDW-411S manufactured in Nov.2003. It had firmware FS07 which I upgraded to FS0F. Even if it isn’t the best DVD recorder, it’s worth the $79.95 to me just to be able to use the K Probe program to test other burners and media. It’s also a very good CD-RW replacement.

Heres what i see with Nero info tool, theres no upgraded firmware available…well that i can find, havent burned anything yet but used some of the dvd-r media i have to find out what the burns rates are.
compusa 1x burns at 1x…bummer, my dead optorite ddo203 burned at 2x same media…i will not burn anything at 1x…thats ungodly slow…
princo 4x burns at 4x
kypermedia 1x will burn at 2x…that i can tolerate.

Drive Information

Drive : LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-451S
Type : DVD-R/RW Combo Drive
Firmware Version : GSB4
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : 2003-11-20
Serial Number
Vendor Specific : 2003/11/20 16:28
Drive Letter : F:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 40 X
Write Speed : 40 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : None
Changes User

I picked up one also. I was suprised that there was at least 15 still on the shelf. It was an LDW-451 manufactured in Nov2003. The box UPC is the same as the one I bought a few months ago that is a 411S. I figured for the price it’s a great Christmas present. I already ordered an 811S for my self, plus I have the 411. I don’t need 3 DVD burners so this one is an excellent deal.

What are the SN do you guys have at the back of the box?

They also have a good deal on Memorex DVD+ or - 4x, 50 packs for $49.95. That’s less than $1 a disc.

Your right they are $0.999 a piece or 49 of them cost $1 and the last disk is $0.95.

A better “les than a $1 disc.” deal would be

Add your choice of two Memorex DVD+R 25-Pack, or two Memorex DVD-R 25-Pack for a total of $99. Add some paper clips to reach $100 - Buy one Get one coupon code 31902332 [Exp 12/20] - $10 off $50 code 19468393 [Exp 12/31] = $40 shipped

That would be $0.80 per disk

My serial is 479348009241, whatever that means…

Read on another forum that they have noticed the ones that comes out with 451s, 6th number on the serial is an 8 and that the box has a round sticker on it. So hopefully mine would be a 451s. Thanks.

Bought Lite-on internal drive at Best Buy for cheap price and followed the “8” as sixth number on serial number thing, and it was indeed a 451s…claim “newer chipset” when I called to find out difference of 451s and 411s at lite-on USA, but folks seem to still have problems with it so far!

I will hang on to drive before installing it, as I will definately return it to Best Buy if folks on these forums continue to keep piling on the bad news.

(Not that I do not appreciate it!) I do

Got one from Best Buy this mroning (12-15-03). Nero Info shows below. Burned a couple of movies. Everything worked with no problem.

Drive Information

Drive : LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-451S
Type : DVD-R/RW Combo Drive
Firmware Version : GSB4
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : 2003-11-20
Serial Number
Vendor Specific : 2003/11/20 16:28
Drive Letter : F:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 6, 1 X
Write Speed : 4, 18 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 1
Changes User : 4
Changes Vendor : 4

Update:

I returned the Liteon DVD burner today. I started experiencing problems on the second day. The drive slowed down dramatically. It took over 2 hours to burn a DVD-R disc (same disc I used yesterday). I exchanged it for a Pioneer A06.

I’m about to return mine tommorow, had no problems but getting a plextor 8x, buddy from work said he’d pay the difference in price…about $100 more…screw it…see you guys on the plextor forum…lata:p