Liteon 40X flashed to 48X question

vbimport

From I've been reading I came to a conclusion that 48X liteon is just an 40X with a newest firmware.
Thus if I flash my 40X with 48X firmware do I expect same longetivity? Or will it die sooner?
Or maybe 48X is a different drive?
Thank You For any replies

You can get 48x functionality out of the 40x model, but they are not the same thing. “Overclocking” your burner voids the warranty and can cause drive-death. It modifies the existing burner to function faster. Overclocking can cause many problems, or it can work perfectly.

The 48x controllers (chipset & hardware) from OTI, Mediatek and the like are all new. Any 40x successfully flashed to 48x is pure luck. The main point is that the 48’s have new anti-vibration H/W, new spindle speed control measures and so on. I don’t think that many 40’s can cope with the 9-10000 rpm spin speeds that the 48 controllers can supply. The ASUS website points out the technical differences 40x V 48x for example.

Well it’s reading at 48X…so will 48X writing really be more difficult for it?

I saw a post where a guy opened a LTR-48125W and a LTR-40125S.

Both was the same, same part numbers and everything…so?

Who knows? To my experience they are both the same.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]I saw a post where a guy opened a LTR-48125W and a LTR-40125S.

Both was the same, same part numbers and everything…so?

Who knows? To my experience they are both the same. [/B]
Yeah, maybe Liteon can’t afford a 48x controller :stuck_out_tongue:

maybe the 48X controller is in the 48246H or something like that. I mean that this controller will be in the mediathek 6 chipsets.
So i guess with the same chipset (40125S and 48125W) the drives will function exactly the same!
It was overclocking by Lite-on themselves, I believe.
Don’t pin me on this one, it’s just an assumtion.

With the speed Liteon release new drives you can bet your last quid the 40X drives are underclocked 48X ones, all you lot are doing is putting them back to there designed speed.

What is the point in doing the R&D on a 40X drive or even a 32X drive when you can do to a 48X spec then downgrade it to slower speeds. 3 products for the price of one.

I saw a picture of the insides of a 40x “s” that showed a 32s chip inside. I was kinda surprised when I saw that 32x chip.:confused:

Even if the components are the same, they can be “tuned” for different performance characteristics. However, given the short lifespan of technology itself and changing trends, CD writers as a standalone breed may well be on the way out.

Does the burner lifetime really matter?