Liteon 24x LTR-24102B vs Verbtuim 40x VBT401248a

Hi All,

I just picked up this drive at Staples for $9.98
I was owed the CenDyne 40x that they had on sale on BlackFriday. They offered me the Verbtuim 40x instead and I would not have to wait for the rebate.
So I took it!!!

I now have a Liteon 24x LTR-24102B.
I know the Verbtuim 40x is faster, but is it better then the Liteon?

The Model said VBT401248a, both on the box and on the drive.

What’s the story with this drive???

Form the thread’s here it’s a liteon.

What do I need to do, to flash it to a Liteon 48x?

Has anyone flash it with no problems?

Thanks
:confused:

The 24102B cannot be overclocked. You shoulda taken the Verbatim.

Originally posted by dhc014
The 24102B cannot be overclocked. You shoulda taken the Verbatim.

Sorry u misunderstood me.

I have had a Liteon 24102B for over a year.
I JUST pickup the Verbtuim 40x.

The add at Staples was for a CenDyne 40x!
$59.98 with a $50.00 Rebate.

Since they screwed up, they gave me the Verbtuim 40x for $9.98 without needing to mail in a rebate.

The instructions on how to convert your Verbatim to a Lite-on are on this forum, at the beginnig of this page. But beware, I had the same drive you have and I flashed it to be a lite-on, and it was a bad mistake. Before the upgrade, I could burn a audio cd in no more than 3 min. After the upgrade to lite-on, it now takes 7 to 10 min to burn the same audio cd. But, if you still want to upgrade to lite-on use the flash utility MTKFLASH ver. 155 and the firm ware VS08, both can be found here in the lite-on forum, just check the first page for instructions. Make sure you do a backup of your Verbatim firmware in case you want to go back to Verbatim after upgrading to lite-on, in case you are not satisfied. And can you please send me a copy of your original Verbatim firmware (if you do the upgrade) because I want to go back to Verbatim myself. My email is "hector766@aol.com. I would appreciated very much if you can send it to me in a .bin form. Thank you. Remember you can flash to lite-on and try it, you can always go back to Verbatim using the same MTKFASH utility if you are not satisfied with the upgrade.

Originally posted by Flores
And can you please send me a copy of your original Verbatim firmware (if you do the upgrade) because I want to go back to Verbatim myself. My email is "hector766@aol.com. I would appreciated very much if you can send it to me in a .bin form. Thank you. Remember you can flash to lite-on and try it, you can always go back to Verbatim using the same MTKFASH utility if you are not satisfied with the upgrade.

Thank you for the good info. After hearing what you went through
I dont think I will Flash the drive.

If I do I will send you the bin file.
Why cant you get the bin file from Verbatim?
I guess you tried and its not available.
That Sux’s.

Thanks again.:slight_smile:

You can still backup the firmware for him, without flashing. It’s risk free, and will cause no problems. And it will solve his audio problem, hopefully.

Just type "MTKflash.exe X R /M /B biosname.bin, where
X is the port number (1=primary master, 2=pri slave, 3=secondary master, 4=sec. slave). /M is necessary to merge all the banks into one file.

Do it in pure DOS mode and no CD in the tray
then zip it up and send it to him :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Falkentyne
[B]You can still backup the firmware for him, without flashing. It’s risk free, and will cause no problems. And it will solve his audio problem, hopefully.

Just type "MTKflash.exe X R /M /B biosname.bin, where
X is the port number (1=primary master, 2=pri slave, 3=secondary master, 4=sec. slave). /M is necessary to merge all the banks into one file.

Do it in pure DOS mode and no CD in the tray
then zip it up and send it to him :slight_smile: [/B]

Thanks for the info.
I have not installed the drive as of yet.
It’s a Xmax present.
I emailed Tech support at Verbatim, but have not heard anything yet.
I want to know what there latest Firware verson is.
Maybe there is a newer one then whats on my burner?
I will keep all informed.
Thanks

Originally posted by Flores <snip> And can you please send me a copy of your original Verbatim firmware (if you do the upgrade) because I want to go back to Verbatim myself. My email is "hector766@aol.com. I would appreciated very much if you can send it to me in a .bin form. <snip? [/B]

I have sent you the file.

Downloader,
Thank you for the firmware, I just got it this morning. You made my day. Thanks again.
Flores