LiteON 20A3P scanning in external case (Prolific PL3507) by firewire?

vbimport

I’'ll soon have one external case Vantec NST525UF in which I want to mount one LiteOn 20A3P. I intend to use this for scanning. I can use firewire.
From your knowledge, could you think that firewire connection is not enough for reliable scans? Thanks

[QUOTE=Vasy;2070042]I’'ll soon have one external case Vantec NST525UF in which I want to mount one LiteOn 20A3P. I intend to use this for scanning. I can use firewire.
From your knowledge, could you think that firewire connection is not enough for reliable scans? Thanks[/QUOTE]

you can get an identical scan as an internal unit as long as your setup is fast enough to handle an external enclosure. I get just as good burs & scans on external.

I haven’t tried an A3 series drive in such an enclosure, but I have tried a 5S, a 6S and an A1 series drive.

Scanning in an external enclosure works fine, but the amount of samples dropped will be higher than when scanning on the same drive internally.

This can be seen in the reported scanning interval (which should ideally be 1.00 ECC but is more likely to be around 1.13 and higher) at the end of the scan.

The more samples dropped, the higher the scanning interval will be, and the lower the total (and average) PIE/PIF values will be.

This is important when comparing scans made on an internal drive and an external drive, since the total PIE/PIF will be artificially lower on the external drive that drops more samples.

Drives using other chipsets (not MediaTek) do not drop nearly as many samples so the disctinction between internal and external is not important for scanning drives using (most?) other chipsets.

Thanks for answers.
I’ll make some tests when I’ll get the drive. Internal and external tests. To see the differences. Maybe I’ll use 20A3P as internal and make 16H5S as external … cause anyway … I rarely use 16H5S for scanning.

[quote=DrageMester;2081585]
Scanning in an external enclosure works fine, but the amount of samples dropped will be higher than when scanning on the same drive internally.[/quote]:iagree:

Drives using other chipsets (not MediaTek) do not drop nearly as many samples so the disctinction between internal and external is not important for scanning drives using (most?) other chipsets.
Additionally, the amount of dropped samples is depending on the chipset of the enclosure, at least if I compare Cypress AT2 with GL811E.

Based on my experience, the average scanning intervals of the Liteon A3 series are 1.06 for internally mounted (DH20A3P) and 1.07 for externally mounted (DX20A3H in USB enclosure) drives. These figures are similar to the Samsung 18X and 20X series drives which also use the MediaTek chipsets, but I seldom use the Samsung drives for scanning. My DH20A4P in a Cypress AT2 enclosure gives average intervals around 1.20.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2081585]Scanning in an external enclosure works fine, but the amount of samples dropped will be higher than when scanning on the same drive internally.[/QUOTE]

Why? Is there really that much difference between a STANDARD 4x scan via IDE and Firewire? Forget about USB, I only consider Firewire to be legitimate for external usage, and forget about high-speed scans, as this discussion should be about standard scanning (8x for Nexperia, 4x for MediaTek, and 5x for old-NEC).

Let’s hear from someone who’s done some tests using FIREWIRE.

Additionally, the amount of dropped samples is depending on the chipset of the enclosure, at least if I compare Cypress AT2 with GL811E.[/QUOTE]

What about Cypress AT2 vs. Oxford 911 or Prolific 3507 or Initio 1430? :cop:

[quote=negritude;2107181]Why? Is there really that much difference between a STANDARD [B]4x[/B] scan via IDE and [B]Firewire[/B]? [/quote] Not a lot of difference at 4x in my experience, but a lot of difference at e.g. 16x. (e.g. 1 sample per 1.35 ECC blocks compared to 1 sample per 2.35 ECC blocks).

Forget about USB, I only consider Firewire to be legitimate for external usage, and forget about high-speed scans, as this discussion should be about standard scanning (8x for Nexperia, 4x for MediaTek, and 5x for old-NEC).
You can forget about USB if you like. I choose to not forget about it since the PL-3507 also supports USB. :smiley:

Let’s hear from someone who’s done some tests using [B]FIREWIRE[/B].
That would also be me. :wink:

If you scan using a LiteOn drive connected through FireWire it will also drop more samples than the same drive connected internally.

The amount of samples dropped can also depend a lot on which USB/ATA or FireWire/ATA bridge chipset is used, but I don’t remember which one I tried that dropped fewer, but it wasn’t the Prolific PL-3507 chipset.

I’m a little sad because I can’t find any NST-525UF which is considered to have that PL-3507 chipset. I’m sorry I didn’t buy it when it was on stock. From one store I found that this model is not produced anymore.
So … I don’t know other external enclosure with Firewire and pretty good chipset.
I can find Canyon easy but I don’t know what chipset is inside.
I have two Vantec NST-525U2 but I was surprised to see that they have different chipset. One is with Pioneer DVR-112D (with a max of ~ 12x write speed) and one is with some … I don;t remember so good … Aladin? :confused:

Anyway … maybe I’ll get one MetalGear with eSATA for making my S203B external and let all my 3 Lite-ON burners to be internally … but I didn’t hear to many good thoughts about that case … and know I am confused …

I have my S203B as external by USB. I wrote more here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f143/anyone-using-5-25-sata-enclosures-yet-255839/#post2184417