Liteon 1673s too slow

vbimport

I was about to post the same question. I just purchased the Liteon 1673s drive yesterday and I have updated it to the latest firmware, but the reading and the burns are so slow, it takes over I have patched it with omnipatcher at 12x with no good results, I have windows xp and I am using verbatim 16x dvd +r.

I already checked to see if dma was enabled and it is …what else can be done?

help please

Is it UDMA 2 or UDMA 4? Needs to be UDMA 4.
In XP, click start, control panel, system, hardware, device manager. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Check the channel that the burner is on and make sure it is UDMA 4. If it is UDMA 2 you have an 80-pin cable attached and not 40-pin. You NEED a 40-pin cable.

ok when i get to my device manager i see the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

on my primary ide channel under advanced settings

Device 0

device type: auto detection—can’t change it
transfer mode: dma if available
current transfer mode: ultra dma mode 3-- ( can’t change it)

device 1
device type: auto detection --(can’t change it)
current transfer mode ultra dma mode 1—(can’t change it)

secondary ide channel under advanced settings

device 0

device type: auto detection —can’t change
current transfer mode pio mode —can’t change it

device 1

device type: auto detection-- can’t change it
transfer mode dma if available
current transfer mode: ultra dma mode 4-- can’t change it

now I checked these yesterday and I could have sworn everything was dma

now on the same cable i have my new liteon 1673s as master and my liteon 401s as slave

I just purchased the 1673s yesterday because i was having problems with my 401s.

now the primary and secondary ide channels they are referring to the cables inside my pc case right?

I have 2 harddrives hooked up to one and 2 disc drives(liteons) on the other how do i know which channel is which and how do i change it to dma?

thanks

You can only change DMA (Direct Access Memory) in BIOS.
Your hard drives (on primary IDE) have a transfer rate of 44.4MB/s (UDMA 3) and 25MB/s (UDMA 1).
Your Liteys (on secondary channel) have a transfer rate of 16.6MB/s MAX (PIO) and 66.7MB/s (UDMA 4).
From memory, if PIO and DMA are on same channel, PIO will be used (not 100% sure though)
PIO transfer modes are very CPU-intensive. They tie up the processor which could be doing something more important.
So as you can see your problem start with the fact that your hard drives can’t even reach the 1673S (UDMA 4) max speed.

i just purchased my second harddrive it is a seagate 80 mb I put my windows xp system on it and used my original harddrive for storage… So are you saying i need a new harddive? or what exactly are you saying? thanks for this info.

I am confused.
I thought that was on the contrary, that it needed a cable 80-pin to obtain UDMA 4

My apologies, what I wrote above is back-to-front.

40-pin WRONG (UDMA 2 only achievable)
80-pin CORRECT (UDMA 4)

@95neongirl : I’d try unhooking the 401s, temporarily, just as a test.

PIO and UDMA 4 are totally different animals. I don’t know if they’ll work against each other, or not. I’ve read conflicting opinions.

80-wire IDE cable is important, because it adds 40 ground wires between the regular wires - that cuts the static that would mess up high-speed data.

I don’t know if PIO is normal for the 401s, the LiteOn site and manuals are kind of, uh, minimalist, on the
technical side. Your computer’s bios might be able to change the 401s to UDMA.

The older harddrive probably isn’t quick enough to source files to the 1673s.
(But it shouldn’t hurt anything if it’s just sitting there for storage).

A fast 80-gigger should be enough, for the files you are burning, but you’d want to minimise the multitasking, and keep it defragged. A slow 80-gig might not be. The specs for the 1673s say its max is 21.6 Megs/s at 16x.

The average speed of the 80-gigger should be plenty. But, of course, it doesn’t work that way. The platters in a harddrive have fast ends & slow ends, like cds/dvds do. The slow parts of a fast 80-gig would barely be enough. (Most or all 7200 RPM harddrives should be good. I doubt if a 5000 RPM would cut it for 16X burns).

UDMA versions are more about smarter electronics than raw transfer rate.
Harddrives’s platter speeds lag well behind their transfer speeds. (Same for SATA, but I digress…).

What kind of motherboard is in there? I’ve read stuff about NVIDIA controller drivers making a problem, sometimes. VIA chipset drivers have been known to act up, too.

As the user of NVidia products on 4 PCs, I can safely say, it’s NOT NVidia Drivers, PEOPLE.OKAY!!!

The 80GB HDD, I have a feeling, being UDMA 3 has ONLY a 2MB Cache (The 1673S ALSO has a Cache size of 2MB, so your HDD is probably going to struggle to keep up a higher transfer rate). Now can you start to see your problem?). Would be far better off with a drive with 8mb cache

@95neongirl
What’s the Model & brand of your mobo?