LiteOn 1673S@1693S - Burner or PC problem

vbimport

Hi All,

I’m trying to narrow down a problem. Over the last year or so, I’ve started experiencing a problem with my DVD burner. Sometimes I’ll insert blank media, and it won’t recognize it and successfully burn a disc. It doesn’t make a coaster, it just doesn’t even think the disc is in the drive. A reboot of the PC usually resolves it so I can burn, but then it might do it again shortly after. Also, when ripping audio tracks from a music CD, around 30% of the time, the burner will only rip the first 20 seconds or so of the first song, and then rip everything else ok. In tricky cases, I’ve unistalled Roxio and reinstalled it, when I wasn’t able to burn an audio CD, and that solved that problem.

Does this sound like a drive problem, or possibly something with the motherboard/PC?

I know it’s hard to diagnose problems without seeing it, but I had to waste $30 on a new drive if that isn’t even the problem.

Thanks!

Just to add too, I’m wondering if power issues could cause this. I just looked at the stock PSU in my computer, and it’s rated for 170W. Junk. From using a calculator online, it said I should have 347W. I’ve never seen any power issues that I know of, but perhaps I don’t know how power issues manifest themselves.

Thanks.

You have an old drive which probably should be replaced.

Is 3-4 years the useful life? Do they just start to go bad? I’ve had readers that have lasted much longer. No big deal, but just trying to find the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Drives can easily go bad. They have a Mean Time Before Failure, but depending on the workload [among many other factors including quality of the product initially, its environment, etc], you may see an extremely long life of the product or a fairly short life [compared to others]. The MTBF is just a guesstimate. There’s no real preset life in years for each and every drive, though. 3-4 years sound acceptable for a burner, though. :slight_smile:

Try IMGBurn instead of Roxiio to see if it helps.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2134644]Try IMGBurn instead of Roxiio to see if it helps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I’m pretty sure it’s not a software problem though, as when this happens the drive doesn’t display correctly in My Computer.

I’m actually wondering if maybe the IDE ribbon cable is bad. It does have some crinks in it. No visible broken wires, but they are so small. I may replace that first.

yeah try a NEW cable and/or also install it in another pc if possible.

[B]IF![/B] you plan on trashing the drive (as it’s out of warranty etc…) and i say [B]IF![/B] carefully take it apart and gently clean the laser lens with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Be sure to watch how it comes apart so you can easily put it back together. This is just for last resort only. If you don’t want to mess with it then don’t try it.

[QUOTE=Bob;2134656]yeah try a NEW cable and/or also install it in another pc if possible.

[B]IF![/B] you plan on trashing the drive (as it’s out of warranty etc…) and i say [B]IF![/B] carefully take it apart and gently clean the laser lens with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Be sure to watch how it comes apart so you can easily put it back together. This is just for last resort only. If you don’t want to mess with it then don’t try it.[/QUOTE]

Well I tried cleaning it and it still did the same thing. It makes a clicking sound as it tried to read the disc. I actually believe the disc isn’t spinning any longer. I could be wrong, but it didn’t work.

I ended up just ordering a new LiteOn iHAP322 from NewEgg. I wanted LightScribe this time, which this unit doesn’t have (I don’t believe), but after reading some quick reviews, it seems like it’s the latest and greatest and might be a bit better than the DH series.

So it should be here next week.

Thanks for all the tips guys.