LiteOn 166S

I just brought LiteOn XJ-HD166S dvd-rom.
Is it normal that my drive emit sometimes a very high sound … something like “iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii” (5-10 second long … and then normal rotating noise … 30 second and again that peep) ? This happens on dvd-r and dvd+r. It is very frustrating sound ^^’ … is that drive suppose to be quite ?

Thx.

ps. sorry for my english.

Have same drive, I updated Firmware though. I get the same thing when it spins up, I think its normal, it wasn’t sold as a quiet drive. It does it sometimes, not all the time.

Originally posted by xtacydima
Have same drive, I updated Firmware though. I get the same thing when it spins up, I think its normal, it wasn’t sold as a quiet drive. It does it sometimes, not all the time.

This high sound happens during normal work (copying files or testing media in DriveSpeed) … not spinning up … and it sounds like in background … i can’t describe that better ^^’.

When it spins up … it’s loud but i accept that.

Thx.

My drives makes that noise like having “sand”, but that’s normal, those are the spheres. It only happens for the first seconds, then the drive makes a normal sound just like other drive reading.

Originally posted by deto77
This high sound happens during normal work (copying files or testing media in DriveSpeed) … not spinning up
Thx.

“during normal work (copying files or testing media in DriveSpeed)”
…well…
What do you think these normal operations you refer to do, they make the drive spin up, otherwise it can’t read/write or operate without spinning the disc
so…
deto77…
don’t worry since it happens to others it is normal

This drive WILL spin up no matter what task is involved, big or small, so you’ll just have to deal w/ it. This drive is nothing compared to the freaking land strip the Pioneer slot load brought me. POS that thing was aside from the cool looking slot load.

Originally posted by Stoner
This drive WILL spin up no matter what task is involved, big or small, so you’ll just have to deal w/ it. This drive is nothing compared to the freaking land strip the Pioneer slot load brought me. POS that thing was aside from the cool looking slot load.

Geeeeez … people … are you listening what i am talking ? I will say that one more time … it’s not about noise which drive emits during spin up or slow down. NOT !! :slight_smile:

Anyway … i will today exchange my drive to another one. THX for help.

Btw. is there another program like k-probe for liteons ?

Originally posted by Stoner
This drive WILL spin up no matter what task is involved, big or small, so you’ll just have to deal w/ it. This drive is nothing compared to the freaking land strip the Pioneer slot load brought me. POS that thing was aside from the cool looking slot load.

A lot of that probably involves Auto-insert being enabled in Windows. Disable it if you haven’t, and things may get a lot quieter.

What difference does that make when the point of inserting a disc into the drive is to access it. Even if I turn off auto notification, resulting in the disc in idle state upon insertion, it’ll still spin up and make noises when it’s time to access the content. Besides, I for one wants to see the title lable for the disc when I put it in.

Originally posted by Stoner
What difference does that make when the point of inserting a disc into the drive is to access it. Even if I turn off auto notification, resulting in the disc in idle state upon insertion, it’ll still spin up and make noises when it’s time to access the content. Besides, I for one wants to see the title lable for the disc when I put it in.

Do you want the disc to also be accessed every time you open a My Computer or Explorer window, or anything that catalogues all drives in the system? If so, that’s your choice.

Personally, I’d rather do without the disc label (as I tend to know what disc I’m putting in the drive anyway) and disable AIN so that the drive doesn’t spin up at times and slow down the system when I have no need for it to. And in any case, the drive would then not be to blame for the excessive spin-up you mentioned before, AIN would, which would mean that you’d have this issue no matter which CD/DVD drive you use in your system, as long as AIN is enabled.

Running DVDIdle might help, I’d guess it’s worth a try.

OK … i just exchange this LiteOn to Toshiba 1802 … OMG … Toshiba is superb … it’s quiet and it doesn’t emit that frustrating high sound !!! I think Toshiba is a class better that LiteOn :slight_smile: Thx for answers … i am in heaven :slight_smile: Toshiba rocks :slight_smile:

THX