LiteOn 1633, upgraded to 1653, won't burn DL-discs!

vbimport

:confused: I’ve destroyed three DVD+R DL-discs trying to burn a movie. I’ve used Nero Vision Express, and I’ve merged the two main titles(no menus) from disc 1 and 2 in the LOTR3-box, trying to get the whole movie in one disc. The prosject plays off just fine on my compuiter, using PowerDVD, but it seems impossible to burn…? The media used is TRAXDATA DVD+R DL. The info on this media using Smartburn, is:
Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = DVD+R DL (Double Layer)
Disc MID = 52 49 54 45 4B 00 00 00 (RITEK…)
Disc TID = 44 30 31 (D01)
Nominal Capacity = 7.93GB
Manufacturer Maybe = RiTEK Corporation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 2.4X (Write)

The burnig seems to work just fine, until about 49% (Layer change…?), then it stalls. Using NERO I get the “Burning failed”-message, and using CloneDVD the burning stops at 49%, but the drive just keep on spinning.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? :sad:

The Ritek DL discs aren’t that great…try Mitsubishi/Verbatim.

I’ll try another type of disc ASAP, but first I need to find a store here in Norway, selling separate discs of another brand than TRAXDATA (Ritek). I’ve seen Verbatim, but only as five-packs, and priced at around NOK 630.-, about USD 99.-

I really hope that this is a media-matter, rather than a faulty drive…

hey tarzan: don’t qoute me on this, but i thought i saw a post somewhere stating nero does not burn d/l well. i haven’t burnt any d/l so i can;t say. maybe one of the d/l pros can shed some light on this one. i just hate to see you throwing away all that media.

Does your drive burn regular single-layer media okay? If so, then it’s likely to be a media problem…

I’ve burnt both Verbatim and lots of eProformance with only a few errors, but when I tried Packard Bell, it was a totally disaster. 50% went wrong… :a

My old burner, a LG, had the same problems with Memorex media. It could burn almost anything but Memorex. So far my LiteOn works OK, except from the DL-problem and Packard Bell.problem…

Just for the record: all DVD+R

We have verbatim DL single discs in stock. www.norwaydisc.no

If you pay with credit card you have the option to have them shipped as letter which do not cost a whole lot :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice to know, thanx! I will place my order one of the following days.
Only wish I read this earlier though…; today I bought another DVD-RW unit, a BenQ 1620, and it burnt my LOTR3 project just fine., still using the TRAXDATA media. No probs at all! If I knew about norwaydisc.no before, I could’ve bought myself single Verbatim DL-discs, or the same BenQ-drive paying NOK 100.- less than I went up doing… :sad:

By the way; I’m not giving up my LiteOn-drive! The BenQ replaced my old Samsung DVD-ROM, so no I’ve got two RW-drives. :cool:

Just came to think of something; I’ve burnt TRAXDATA DL-discs earlier on my 1633S, but that was with another firmware. Is it possible that the latest firm may have “mixed” up things a bit…?