LITEON 124/234/324/524/624... help! my brain explodes

vbimport

[QUOTE=BigBen2k;2536447]Do ya’ll think I should return it? I mostly burn a bunch of DVD movies (on DVD+R), and the odd music CD.[/QUOTE]

Do you already own a Sony/Optiarc AD-7240S or AD-7260S? If not, then keep it. There is nothing wrong with the drive for the average user.

The people who are complaining and upset are people like me who already own the drive in it’s original form, and are lamenting the lack of diversity in the optical drive ecosystem of late.

Don’t read what geeks/nerds are saying about something and think that automatically applies to you. We complain about a lot of things because we’re super-picky.

[QUOTE=Innuendo;2497836]

Another indicator is the face-plate on the bare drive. If you see the Lite-On and the SmartErase logos you’re looking at an MTK-based drive. If those logos are missing, it’s an NEC-based one.

[/QUOTE]

I have a Lite-On LH series drive and a new iHAS424 Y (It isn’t recognized as xxx 98 - Y just xxx Y) Neither drive has the Lite-on logo.

I just got a 424-98B and it shows Smart-Erase on the box as a feature. Are the B’s back to MTK?

Manufactured Sept 2010.

[QUOTE=cryptonym;2562728]I just got a 424-98B and it shows Smart-Erase on the box as a feature. Are the B’s back to MTK?

Manufactured Sept 2010.[/QUOTE]

Yes the B drives are using the newer version of MediaTek MT-1839LN chip-set. :iagree:

I thought I would give this identification process another update considering the availability of the MTK ‘B’ chipsets. So here they are, all three original iHAS424 variants.

‘A’ chipset : MT1879LE
’B’ chipset : MT1839LN
’Y’ chipset : MC-10045

From the rear of the ‘B’ chipset drive, it seems to be using a similar ‘A’ PCB (note the yellow area), but using the ‘Y’ SATA connector now (note the green area).

I have been reading this post , but i have a dude. I have been searching in this forum & google,but i didn’t found anything.

The iHAS624,have two versions ( [I]A[/I] and [I]B[/I]), no?

anikk, in one post (the last list of iHAS models) of this topic worote:
iHAS624-xx A: LS LT SE (orig. design / MT1879LE)

So model [I]A[/I] has a[I] MediaTek MT1879LE.[/I]

I understand there is also a model [I]B[/I]

LIGHTNING UK! said in one post that he bought a lite-on iHAS624, that was[I] iHAS624-T32 B.[/I][I] ([/I]UPC: 8 44149 00653 6 / EAN: 4 718390 02772)

But he didn’t say what chipset had.

The [I]B [/I]model is also a [I]MediaTek [/I]one ?

What is the difference between both models [I]A[/I], and [I]B [/I]?

[QUOTE=whitewolf573;2578405]I have been reading this post , but i have a dude. I have been searching in this forum & google,but i didn’t found anything.

The iHAS624,have two versions ( [I]A[/I] and [I]B[/I]), no?

anikk, in one post (the last list of iHAS models) of this topic worote:
iHAS624-xx A: LS LT SE (orig. design / MT1879LE)

So model [I]A[/I] has a[I] MediaTek MT1879LE.[/I]

I understand there is also a model [I]B[/I]

LIGHTNING UK! said in one post that he bought a lite-on iHAS624, that was[I] iHAS624-T32 B.[/I][I] ([/I]UPC: 8 44149 00653 6 / EAN: 4 718390 02772)

But he didn’t say what chipset had.

The [I]B [/I]model is also a [I]MediaTek [/I]one ?

What is the difference between both models [I]A[/I], and [I]B [/I]?[/QUOTE]

I beg yer pardon??? :eek: You must have been paying a lot of attention while doing all that reading :bigsmile:

Your questions have been answered twice in this thread, in the very 2 posts previous to yours! :doh:

’B’ chipset : MT1839LN (all B drives use the same chipset).

What’s the difference? - Different chipsets to start with obviously, and probably some changes in the electronic circuitry due to that, and maybe even a different OPU than the one in the A series … point is you can’t crossflash in between ‘A’ and ‘B’ drives, unless you hate your drive and you want to kill it …

[QUOTE=cvs;2578412]
Your questions have been answered twice in this thread, in the very 2 posts previous to yours! :doh:

’B’ chipset : MT1839LN (all B drives use the same chipset).
[/QUOTE]

Ah , sorry , i saw a post where it said what chipset uses A, and what B , but i thought it was refered only to iHAS424 (i think it was iHAS424 ).

So this is valid for all iHASx24 modells.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=whitewolf573;2578467]Ah , sorry , i saw a post where it said what chipset uses A, and what B , but i thought it was refered only to iHAS424 (i think it was iHAS424 ).

So this is valid for all iHASx24 modells.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

When it comes to the B series, they all use the same Mediatek chipset, but they are not all hardware identical. There are in fact two hardware streams available:

[B]iHAS124, iHAS324 & iHAS524[/B] are all identical in hardware, it is the firmware which enables/disables various features. These drives do not have a LightScribe sensor module, so although you can crossflash them to any other B model from the second group, the LightScribe feature will still not work due to the missing module.
[B]
iHAS224, iHAS424 & iHAS624[/B] are all identical in hardware, and again it is the firmware which enables/disables various features. These drives all have the LightScribe hardware included, and they are all LightScribe enabled.

The LabelTag/LabelFlash feature on the other hand does not require any additional hardware so any B drive can be flashed to an iHAS524 or iHAS624 and the result will be a LabelTag enabled drive. Same goes for the Smart Erase feature … any iHAS324 B, iHAS424 B, iHAS524 B or iHAS624 B firmware is Smart Erase enabled.

The various features can be summarised as it follows:

iHAS124 B: -- -- --
iHAS224 B: LS -- --
iHAS324 B: -- -- SE
iHAS424 B: LS -- SE
iHAS524 B: -- LT SE 
iHAS624 B: LS LT SE

where: LS=LightScribe, LT=LabelTag, SE=SmartErase

Does anyone know what chipset is used in the iHAS122-18 B and if it is possible to crossflash this drive?

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2592527]Does anyone know what chipset is used in the iHAS122-18 B and if it is possible to crossflash this drive?[/QUOTE]

Looking at this post http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-124-234-324-524-624-help-my-brain-explodes-273574/index2.html#post2578537 I crossflashed my iHAS122-04 B to iHAS524B. Works perfectly ( 24x ) including Labeltag capability.

The original firmware from my iHAS122 B is ZL0A. Are your drive with a firmware like ZL0x ? if yes it must be a Mediatek and the crossflash is possible.

I think the original firmware was the same, but how is it possible to flash a 22x drive with a 24x firmware?

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2592544]Looking at this post http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-124-234-324-524-624-help-my-brain-explodes-273574/index2.html#post2578537 I crossflashed my iHAS122-04 B to iHAS524B. Works perfectly ( 24x ) including Labeltag capability.

The original firmware from my iHAS122 B is ZL0A. Are your drive with a firmware like ZL0x ? if yes it must be a Mediatek and the crossflash is possible.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I crossflashed my IHAS122-04 B to IHAS124B and the led has been blinking since the flash. What does it means? Will try a burn later with a DVD-R to see what happens. Is yours blinking too?

Hi, my iHAS122-04 B (original firmware ZL0C and then updates to ZLOF) was crossflashed to iHAS124B with firmware AL0L and as I presumed, it doesnt work anymore, cant burn, and led flashes constantly. I have my original ZL0F.exe but cant crossflash back… what are the suggestions?

can’t you? why?

[QUOTE=ochentay4;2608671]Hi, my iHAS122-04 B (original firmware ZL0C and then updates to ZLOF) was crossflashed to iHAS124B with firmware AL0L and as I presumed, it doesnt work anymore, cant burn, and led flashes constantly. I have my original ZL0F.exe but cant crossflash back… what are the suggestions?[/QUOTE]

1. Make sure you always know what you’re doing before actually doing it, or in other words please do some reading and understand what you have to do before you start! This question has been answered already a couple of times this week alone, never mind in the past… :frowning:

2. Use the Drive Convert feature in the EEPROM Utility to fix the LED blinking issue.

3. Regarding ZLOF.exe: you can’t use a scrambled official firmware to crossflash! You need to use an unscrambled firmware for that in conjunction with the Flash Utility. Either a *.bin file or one of the unscrambled firmwares from C0deKing will do. Once you’ve successfully crossflashed your drive, then from that point onwards you can use an official LiteON file (scrambled firmware) for that model in order to update the firmware to a newer version.

[QUOTE=cvs;2608686]1. Make sure you always know what you’re doing before actually doing it, or in other words please do some reading and understand what you have to do before you start! This question has been answered already a couple of times this week alone, never mind in the past… :frowning:

1. Use the Drive Convert feature in the EEPROM Utility to fix the LED blinking issue.

2. Regarding ZLOF.exe: you can’t use a scrambled official firmware to crossflash! You need to use an unscrambled firmware for that in conjunction with the Flash Utility. Either a *.bin file or one of the unscrambled firmwares from C0deKing will do. Once you’ve successfully crossflashed your drive, then from that point onwards you can use an official LiteON file (scrambled firmware) for that model in order to update the firmware to a newer version.[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks for the help:

1. You are right, but I always found a crossflash to go back to original firmware. In this case, I search all forum without a crossflash to IHAS122B, so it appears Im screwed…

2. I dont understand what are you saying.

3. I understand what you say, but my drive had ZL0C or ZL0F firmware and there is no unscrambled firmware for my drive.

Could I get an identical drive, dump the original firmware (I suppose it is dumped unscrambled) and then flash back with some tool?

[QUOTE=ochentay4;2608698]Hi, thanks for the help:

1. You are right, but I always found a crossflash to go back to original firmware. In this case, I search all forum without a crossflash to IHAS122B, so it appears Im screwed…[/QUOTE]

As long as you have an unscrambled firmware available, you can always crossflash back. The first rule before attempting to do a crossflash is to backup your original firmware using the Flash Utility (http://club.myce.com/f44/flash-utility-plds-liteon-based-optical-drives-v6-0-1-new-190420/) and back up your EEPROM too using the EEPROM Utility (http://club.myce.com/f44/eeprom-utility-plds-liteon-sony-cd-dvd-writers-v6-2-0-new-112103/) and keep those two files safe.

[QUOTE=ochentay4;2608698]
2. I dont understand what are you saying.[/QUOTE]

When you do a crossflash, the result is that the newly flashed firmware no longer matches the original ID of the drive which is stored in the EEPROM area of the drive. In your case the drive’s EEPROM says that the drive is an iHAS122 B while the new firmware loaded is for an iHAS124 B drive. The drive detects this contradiction and refuses to work, and what you get is the LED blinking all the time and the drive refusing to read or write any media. For a crossflash to be successful, the drive ID stored in the EEPROM needs to be modified to match the drive ID of the new iHAS124 B firmware. This can be easily achieved by using the “Convert Drive” option in the EEPROM Utility.

3. I understand what you say, but my drive had ZL0C or ZL0F firmware and there is no unscrambled firmware for my drive.[/QUOTE]

That’s the whole point about making sure you know what you’re doing before you do it, and the main reason for always backing up your existing firmware before crossflashing. Here’s an unscrambled copy of the ZL08 iHAS124 B firmware which you can use to go back if you want:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1ci069a2963pb09

After that you can update the drive to the latest firmware using the official LiteON flasher.

Could I get an identical drive, dump the original firmware (I suppose it is dumped unscrambled) and then flash back with some tool?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can dump the firmware from another iHAS122 B drive using C0deking’s Flash Utility. Yes, the *.bin firmware dumps are unscrambled and they can be used for crossflashing. Yes, once you have a firmware dump from another drive you can flash it back to your drive using the Flash Utility.

PS. While firmwares of identical drives are interchangeable, their EEPROM backups are not. NEVER EVER flash a LiteON drive with the EEPROM coming from another drive! Each drive’s EEPROM contains unique calibration data for that specific drive. Firmware files are 2MB in size while EEPROM files are only 8KB in size.

PSS. If you want to crossflash your drive to a 24x model I suggest you crossflashing it to an iHAS524 B model. That would give you the maximum number of extra features possible.

Hi, I succesfully crossflashed my iHAS122-04 B (ZL0C firmware) to iHAS524B (AL2A firmware) and also crossflashed to iXtreme Burner Max, burned a disc, and here is my scan with Kprobe2. I am really happy !