Lite-On vs Yamaha

vbimport

HI!

I have a lite-on 40x and i’ve overcloked it to 48x but i seems that it isn’t alright with writing quality. So i’ve decided to buy a new recorder.

My choices are the Lite-On 52x and the Yamaha CRW-F1!

I burn a lot of divx movies and make many copies of protected cd’s, but i really don’t know witch one to buy!
Can you guys help me?

Thanks in advance :wink:

Yahama pulled out of the CDRW market so you can expect null support from them in terms of firmware…
What firmware do you use on your Liteon?

it’s the lastest one!
I’ve tried diferents firmwares and always with the same result!

So, if the Yamaha doesn’t have support wich cd-rw shoul i buy?
I can’t expend much money!I saw a review of an TEAC and it handle protection and have a very goog performance at a good price.

Oh i forget!Sorry my very bad english but it isn’t my contry language!

So what do you think?
Teac is a good choice to deal with protections and write quality?

please reply!
Tanks guys

A little offtopic, but did you yet try to post the problems of your LiteOn drive on this forum? There may be an easy cure, saving you the money of a new drive…!

It may be worth trying different CD-R media with your existing CD recorder. I know someone who has a Liteon 40x12x48 and he thought there was something wrong with his recorder as most of the CDs he recorded refused to play back in some DVD-ROM drives and CD-ROMs read them very slowly. :eek: He never had this problem with with with the same media on his previous 4x CD-burner.

I told him to try Memorex CD-R media as this works good for me and when he tried one of these, the Memorex CD-R read back in every CD-ROM & DVD-ROM without speed issues or read problems. It may be worth checking the recommended CD-R brands in the manual if it metions. Ricoh brand tends to be universally compatible and most CD-Recorder brands recommend these, including my Samsung 8x burner. The Tevion CD-Rs that ALDI sell (bulk buy German supermarket) typically come up as Ricoh according to Nero’s Infotool and I never had any problems with these. If you use Memorex CD-Rs, keep them in a safe place as they are not that scratch resistant. :wink:

Also, if you have not run a CD-lens cleaner in the last few months, it may be worth doing so. My Samsung CD burner started failing the odd CD-Rs not to long ago, but when I ran a Lens cleaning CD in it, it never failed a CD-R since. These are available in most Music shops and some supermarkets also.

Originally posted by Airhead
Yahama pulled out of the CDRW market so you can expect null support from them in terms of firmware…

Yamaha have release newer firmwares after its announcement to get out of the market. A blanket statement like you said above is pretty damn dangerious…

Someone on Brennmeister has asked the yamaha support about this, and the reply was that Yamaha is not planning a new firmware.

Thanks for the reply!

My problem is that my lite-on write all cd’s with bad sectors, no matter wich software i use and no matter the media i burn!

I always burn around 30% of bad sectors and sometimes even unreadable sectors!

I really don’ t understand why it does that but the true is that it does!

I’ve tryied many firmwares and always with the same result!
The reading quality is good, except the acess time witch is very huge! It freezes the pc when it is reading the toc of the media, but then it’s fine!

I don’t know if that’s comun but i really apreciate the replys!

Lite- on for protections and stuff.
Yamaha is very good for audio.

But the Lite-on is a lott cheaper. If you have errors try lower speeds or better media.

I have drives from both and i like them both. But i would suggest Lite-on.

Originally posted by Airhead

Here is what Yamaha has to say about the continued support of the CRW-F1

Read this thread posted in CDRLabs forum.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9085&highlight=

Posted by Yamaha,

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:18 pm Post subject:

Hi Max,

I just wanted to say that Yamaha will continue to provide support and firmware upgrades for the CRW-F1. We are certainly not interested in abandoning our existing customers. Yamaha will honor the full warranty period of your product, and will offer technical support for that period as well. Remember, optical storage is only one facet of Yamaha’s business, and we certainly want to keep our customers satisfied.

Best regards,

Mark Becknauld
Product Manager
Multimedia Products Division
Yamaha Electronics Corp.