Lite-On vs Plextor. Please advise

I’m thinking about getting a new CD-RW drive and I was wondering whether to get a Plextor or a Lite-On

The Plextor is The 40/12/40A and these are the features as described by the online shop:

40X write Zone CLV (3000/3600/4800/6000 KB/s) 12X rewrite (1800KB/s) ,17X-40X read CAV (2600KB/s - 6000KB/s)

BURN-Proof Technology (Buffer Under Run Proof)
ATAPI Interface (PIO Mode 4, Multiword DMA Mode 2, UDMA/33 Mode 2)
PoweRec II Technology (Plextor Optimised Writing Error Reduction Control)
VariRec Technology (Variable Recording)
Access Time 120 ms
4MB Buffer
Capable of reading and writing CD TEXT information
Compatible with:Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP
MultiRead Compatible, Supports SPDIF (Digital Audio Output)
Writes CD-ROM Modes 1 and 2, CD-XA Form 1 and 2, CD-DA, CD-I, Video CD & Photo CD.
Creates Audio CD, CD Extra, Enhanced CD, Photo CD, CD-I & Video CD Titles.
Supports Disk-At-Once, Track-At-Once, Multisession, Packet Writing modes.
Wide CD-R and CD-RW media compatibility (74min and Type80 - 79min)
Includes PlexTools

The Lite-On drive is the 40/12/48 and here are it’s features as described by the shop:

48x (read) / 40x (write) / 12x (rewrite)
IDE / EIDE
1 x CD-RW - 5.25" x 1/2H internal
14.6 cm x 19 cm x 4.1 cm
2 MB
Removable disk drive - CD-RW
CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW
PC
Multisession, disc-at-once, track-at-once, packet writing, session-at-once
CD Extra, CD-DA (audio), CD-I, CD-ROM XA, Photo CD, Video CD, CD-ROM, CD-G (Karaoke CD)
80 ms
Volume control wheel, headphone jack, horizontal/vertical mountable, emergency disc eject hole Tray
Limited warranty - parts and labour - 1 year - bring-In
4.1cm x 19cm x 14.6 cm
1Kg

Keeping in mind that I want a drive that is best suited to copy as many protections as possible AND will produce CDs that other CD-ROMs won’t have difficulty reading, which one would you recommend I should buy? Should I wait a few months for better models?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for your time.

This topic has been asked and discussed here many times, you may wish to do a simple search and read up on it.
IMHO, if “name” has value to you then buy Plextor. If not, you’d be nuts to spend twice as much for a drive that does nothing more than the LiteOn does. There are also abundant reviews available on both drives, have a look at cdrlabs.com.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGLL !

Well okay then…

Audio : Plextor
Data : LiteOn

Mr B., are you alright?! :wink:

See Review - Plextor 40/12/40 IDE

and Review - Lite-On 40/12/48X CD-RW.

and Review - Plextor PX-W4824A

The Plextor PXW4824A can also copy Cactus Data Shield 200. You will have to decide which protections are ones you may want to copy, and which are more important to you.

As Mr. Belvedere has stated, generally Plextor is best for audio protections and Lite-on for data.:wink:

Thanks folks, after reading a few reviews on this and other websites I’m gonna buy the Lite-On tomorrow because I’m more concerned with data CDs than audio.

Thanks once again.