Lite-On vs Plextor Blu-ray disc writers [Already searched through the forum]

vbimport

Hi to all. I was here when I decided to buy my old Pioneer DVD writer. At the time I read a lot of reviews, but I couldn’t choose between Pioneer or Lite-On drives.
Now, I’m here for the same question, but about Blu-Ray writers. I read a lot of reviews and I found that the two best drives for Blu-Ray recording are Plextor PX-LB950SA and Lite-On iHBS112 (iHBS212). But what’s the real difference between these two products? I mean, when I bought my DVD writer, you told me that Lite-on drives were better in reading and Pioneer ones were better in writing. Then I chose the Pioneer drive because I needed better writing performance.
So, in your opinion, which is the best? Lite-On or Plextor? Which is the real difference between the two drives? Is there any other drive (Lg, Samsung, Asus) that is better?
Do you suggest me to wait a few months and buy a new generation drive that could be released shortly?

Thanks in advance

[Already searched through the forum]

You missed this one: http://club.myce.com/f142/ :bigsmile:

I read a lot of reviews and I found that the two best drives for Blu-Ray recording are Plextor PX-LB950SA and Lite-On iHBS112 (iHBS212).

No they are certainly not! The best BluRay recorders out there are the Pioneer ones BDR-206M, BDR-206 and BDR-205 (aka Plextor PX-B940SA). Also you might want to have a look at the 10x/12x LG burners (not as good as the Pioneers drives, but I would say better than the LiteONs).

Furthermore the Plextor PX-LB950SA is in fact a rebadged Lite-On iHBS212. Also the Sony Optiarc BD-5300S and BWU-500S are iHBS112 rebadges.

Plextor no longer manufactures their own drives for quite a while now. All recent Plextor drives are rebadged drives typically sold at a much higher price tag than the original…

[QUOTE=cvs;2580933]
No they are certainly not! The best BluRay recorders out there are the Pioneer ones BDR-206M, BDR-206 and BDR-205 (aka Plextor PX-B940SA). Also you might want to have a look at the 10x/12x LG burners (not as good as the Pioneers drives, but I would say better than the LiteONs).
[/QUOTE]

You seem to be quite convinced of this. Are you basing this on your own results with LG BH10LS30 vs a Pioneer BDR-206? Personally, I haven’t found a single media that my 206 can burn as well as my WH10LS30. Verbs, Sony, Panasonic, Falcon(TDK) all scan a bit cleaner coming out of my LG. The Pio 206 is certainly an OK burner, as is the iHBS112 with good quality media. My fear is that you are basing your opinion on the 205’s performance. If ya ask me, the 206 “ain’t all that” :bigsmile:.

I’m not the best in searching through forums :slight_smile:

I know that Pioneer does not longer produce optical drives and I don’t want an unsupported blu-ray disc writer. Am I right?
Ok, so I’ll leave Plextor drives alone, thanks for the advice.
So, do you think that an LG drive is the best solution at the moment?

Pioneer does the same thing with their DVD-RW and BD drives, they only use the chispet, nec back in the dvd-rw era, and renesas now for BD. The rest are design by pioneer.

[QUOTE=gianx80;2580994]
I know that Pioneer does not longer produce optical drives and I don’t want an unsupported blu-ray disc writer. Am I right?
[/QUOTE]

That’s not really the case … when it comes to BD drives Pioneer doesn’t sell rebadged drives like others, and their firmware support is in fact rather good … they normally support drives up to two generations behind (you can see for example that they released a firmware for the DVR-217 in the second half of 2010, while they already had two newer drives out: DVR-218 and DVR-219). From the firmware versions, you can see that they release a number of firmwares over the active support life of the drive. You can have a look here to see the kind of firmware support available recently from Pioneer: http://pioneer.jp/device/dvr_a09.html

Have a look at the relevant threads in the BluRay section and you’ll see plenty of quality writing results and some reviews as well. That will help you decide on a drive.

It has to be said that the Pioneer drives are more expensive than the LG ones, but normally Pioneer offers better firmware support than LG…

[QUOTE=gianx80;2580994]I’m not the best in searching through forums :slight_smile:

Ok, so I’ll leave Plextor drives alone, thanks for the advice.
So, do you think that an LG drive is the best solution at the moment?[/QUOTE]
Pioneer has released several updated firmwares for the 206 already. It doesn’t appear that lack of support is a problem.

I do consider the LG to be a good choice. It is currently my best writer and fastest ripper. Though when I said “a bit cleaner”, I truly meant just a bit. A new firmware release and small burn quality improvement for the 206 could certainly change that. I would not try to discourage you from buying one if the price was right :).

I should ask what kind of burning/reading you want this for? If it is for data, I suppose the new BDXL 100GB may be an interesting option. I suspect it will take a little while though for media prices to drop to match the $/GB cost of current BD-R.

Ok, I read some time ago that Pioneer stopped its optical drives production, I’m happy to hear that I was wrong. However on the official Pioneer site for Europe I could not find any reference to PC optical drives … so, they stopped their business in Europe?

[QUOTE=cvs;2580933]You missed this one: http://club.myce.com/f142/ :bigsmile:

Furthermore the Plextor PX-LB950SA is in fact a rebadged Lite-On iHBS212. Also the Sony Optiarc BD-5300S and BWU-500S are iHBS112 rebadges.

Plextor no longer manufactures their own drives for quite a while now. All recent Plextor drives are rebadged drives typically sold at a much higher price tag than the original…[/QUOTE]

I doubt this statement for the Pioneer:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/bdr206/bdr206_top.htm

This site is in Japanese but it’s still obvious, and they have lots of Opti-Drive burn graphs.

They compare it with the Lite-on model. After looking at these burn graphs, I decided to get the Lite-On as overall it was better in BD burning (less errors).
The Pioneer 205 seems to have a slight edge over the LIte-on, but I couldn’t really find the 205 anymore as it was replaced by what seems to be an inferior 206 model.

[QUOTE=hceuterpe;2581221]I doubt this statement for the Pioneer:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/bdr206/bdr206_top.htm

This site is in Japanese but it’s still obvious, and they have lots of Opti-Drive burn graphs.

They compare it with the Lite-on model. After looking at these burn graphs, I decided to get the Lite-On as overall it was better in BD burning (less errors).
The Pioneer 205 seems to have a slight edge over the LIte-on, but I couldn’t really find the 205 anymore as it was replaced by what seems to be an inferior 206 model.[/QUOTE]

That’s a very nice site! Good find!

Those results were obtained for quite early firmware releases though, so they need to be taken as such … and also two of the LiteON burns were done at 2x rather than 4x so they can’t really be compared as such … but even so, one has to agree that the BDR-206 results are still pretty disappointing in comparison with the other contenders…

However, the Pioneer BDR-206M is a different story:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/bdr206mbk/bdr206mbk_top.htm

Now that is quite impressive … even more so given that the results above came from a newly released BDR-206M drive which still had its original firmware release on board, and in spite of this still managed to beat both the BDR-205 and the BDR-206 (both of which had far more mature firmwares on board)!

The BDR-206M uses a different chipset than the earlier BDR-206 series.

Like any review, this sort of results are still just a one off snapshot … so it would still be useful to have a look at the relevant threads for more real life burning examples and scans made with different drives and at different scan speeds (so one can ascertain repeatability) before making a final decision.

Furthermore, those scans were all done at 2x, which is really too low … I would rather prefer seeing some higher speed scans, such as 4x or preferably ‘standard’ 6x scans or maybe even 8x scans … Those might well show quite a different behaviour …