Lite-On v Pioneer v Sony

OK it’s the show down you’ve been waiting for! :cool:

I have to make a choice between the following:

Lite-On LDW 411s $AUD215

Pioneer 106 $AUD229

Sony DRU 510a $AUD309

What is your opinion?? I’ve read a lot of conflicting stuff about the Lite-On, a lot of fairly possitive stuff about the Pioneer, and very little about the Sony. It seems that if I get the setup right and use good media the 411 should be what I’m after.

I’m leaning that way because I have had amazing service from my Lite-On CD-R. The complaints seem to have dropped off somewhat, is this because of latest firmware?? Seems a lot of complaining comes from folks who don’t take the time to set up their system.

Anyway - go nutts, post your heart out. I want to hear it all. The good the bad and the hideously ugly.

ps - I have a Denon home theatre system. Any experience of people playing DVD±R discs on Denon equipment would be appreciated.

Personally i would go with the Pioneer have been thinking of getting one myself

The reason i say this is because i recently picked up a 411s at ciccuit city after reading all the good things i was hearing about it and i have 3 liteon dvd-roms and they have been supurb. Well to make a long story short i do not have the 411s anymore returned it for the TDK 440n . The 411s would not read its own disks nor would my dvd-roms i updated the firmware and even tried different media and nothing worked was very dissappointed at the 411s

The TDK on the other hand does a excellent job on every thing i put in it hasent made a coaster yet after about 20 burns and the burn quality seems to be excellent also according to Kprobe

I have a Plex 708 (awsome burner) and a old Philips 228 that havent given me any problems either and the reason i am looking at the pioneer is to replace the Philips for faster burning speeds. all 3 so far have been great

Some people have good luck with the 411s and others dont .But to save the headaches and to use just almost any media  choose the PIONEER and burn away with out having to worry about it good luck on which ever you choose

Thanks Defiant1. I’ll do some more research on the Pioneer. Seems like the Lite-On may not be worth the hastle.

What do others think?? And is Sony too expensive for what you get?

The Sony is a little over priced if you ask me not that its not any good but that there is alot of other burners out there that are as good or better for less money.

Here are some links to reviews and articles on the Pioneer the one review at crdlabs is about the Memorex Dualx but is a rebadged Pionner A06. And the other is reviews and comments on the actual A06 and what media is supposed to work in it .

http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=205

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDname=a06&Submit=Search&cdrs=&cdrws=&dvdrs=&dvdrws=&dvdprs=&dvdprws=&dvdrams=&buffer=Any&list=0&Search=Search

If you need faster, better quality CDR/RW performance, the LiteOn is the choice. If you want faster DVDRW burning, the LiteOn is the choice. If you want better DVD performance on cheap media, or more types of media, Pioneer is the choice.
The Sony is out of the picture these days.

I guess my requirements are centered around the ability of the drive to make reliable ‘back ups’ that play on my Denon DVD-900.

DVD-900
Progressive Scan DVD Player • Progressive Scan featuring DCDi by Faroudja decoding engine • 3:2 Pulldown Detection • Plays CD/CD-R/CD-RW Discs, *DVD-R Conditionally • MP3 Decoder for encoded CD-R/RW Discs (128 or higher kbps recommended) • 12-bit, 54-MHz Video DAC • Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz Audio DACs • 2MB Memory Buffer to decrease layer change pauses or pickup dropouts • Selectable 24 bit, 96 kHz PCM output pass-through capability • PCM, DD, dts compatible Optical and Coaxial Digital Outputs • Component, S-Video and Composite video outputs • Passes Below Black(Pluge) for proper Monitor Calibration • Picture Zoom • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 3"h x 8.3"d

I’m not that interested in DVD-RW. I have not tested any burnt discs in the player yet. The specs say DVD-R conditionally… I wonder what the hell that means?

I don’t mind shopping around for good media, as long as when I get some the drive is reliable.

Thanks rdgrimes, I’ll see if any Aussies have ideas about media available over hear, I haven’t looked into it yet… Performance in terms of outright speed is not my priority. Quality of end product is what I’m after. I got very excited when I read the 411 review here at cdfreaks. Then I got cold feet when I started reading the negative posts. Although some people have raved about the 411, so I’m in two minds…
:confused:

If you’re not sure about the media you can get, go with the Pioneer. I use mine for almost all burning on “average” media. As far as compatability with the Denon, it won’t matter much which burner you use, it’s the media that counts. You might want to get a DVD+R and DVD-R burned on someone else’s burner to see if the Denon will play them.

Thanks rdgrimes. I’ll do some testing and post the results. :bigsmile:

Looks like I can get the following media:

DVD+R, HP, 4.7GB, 1-4x speed
DVD+R, HP, 4.7GB, 2.4x speed
DVD+R, Laser, 4.7GB, Printable Surface, 5PK
DVD+R, Laser, 4.7GB, 4x speed, 25pcs
DVD+R, Mitsubishi, 4.7GB, 1-2.4x speed, 5PK
DVD+R, Ricoh, 4.7GB, 1-4x speed, 5pc pack
DVD+R, Verbatim, 4.7GB Data 2.4x Speed,
DVD+RW, Laser, 4.7GB, 2.4x, Printable Surface, 5PK
DVD+RW, Ricoh, 4.7GB, 4X Speed, 5pcs pack
DVD+RW, Verbatim, 4.7GB Data, 2.4X Speed
DVD-R, Generic A-Grade 4.7GB, 2x Speed 5 pcs in SlimCase
DVD-R, Laser, 4.7GB, 4x speed, 25pcs
DVD-R, Laser, 4.7GB, 4x speed, Printable Surface, 5PK
DVD-R, Maxmax, 4.7GB, 4x speed, 10pcs in Jewel Case Pack
DVD-R, Princo, 4.7GB, A-Grade 4x speed, 25pcs
DVD-R, Princo, 4.7GB, A-Grade 4x speed, 25pcs, Printable
DVD-R, Princo, 4.7GB, A-Grade 4x speed, 50pcs, Printable
DVD-R, Ritek, 4.7GB, A-Grade 4x speed, 50pcs
DVD-R, Ritek, 4.7GB, A-Grade, 4x speed, 25pcs
DVD-R, UL-Tran, 4.7GB, A-Grade 4xspeed, 10pcs
DVD-R, Verbatim, 4.7GB Data 1x-4x Speed (94375)
DVD-R, Verbatim, 4.7GB Data 1x/2x Speed (94077)
DVD-RW, Laser, 4.7GB, 2x speed, Printable Surface, 5 PK
DVD-RW, Princo, 4.7GB, A-Grade 2x speed, Printable, 5pcs
DVD-RW, Verbatim, 4.7GB Data (94078), version 1.1

I’ll check the forum for recomendations.

Anyone else using Denon for playback??

-ecka

I have both the Liteon 411S and a Pioneer 106D.

The Liteon drive (with the latest firmware) burns better than the Pioneer on all but the cheapest media. (for both DVD-R(W) and DVD+R(W)

In addition, as stated with the Liteon, you also get a superb CD-R/W burner, able to copy protected audio discs and PCGames (with the right software). The Pioneer is not as capable in regards to CD-R/W abilities.

Liteon’s firmware engineers are merciless too, continually adding support for new media, correcting little bugs. Pioneer’s support leaves a lot to be desired.

When all is said and done, however, both of these drives will burn DVD’s and CD’s that will keep most of their users very happy.

Buy the right tool for the purpose you need it for.

Jackas - I already have the excellent Lite-On 48246 so CD burning is covered. In fact my CD-RW drive is so good that I don’t need much convincing to get the 411. I was considering Pioneer because of some negative feedback about the 411.

After reading post after post, it seems to me that this forum is divided on the issue. I guess Lite-On have a strong following because like me many people have found their CD-RW drives to be fantastic. Looks like they had a few teething problems with the 411, but firmware has improved the situation. (correct me if I’m wrong here)

I’m going to test some media with a friends burner and my Denon DVD player. If my player is happy with a variety of media I’ll make a decision on the burner.

Many more comments are welcome! :smiley:

Thanks to those who have already posted :bow:

I’d be interested to hear how the 106 compares to the 411s when burning to dvd-r disks such as Princo, Shintaro, tdk

Originally posted by Dexx
I’d be interested to hear how the 106 compares to the 411s when burning to dvd-r disks such as Princo, Shintaro, tdk

It varies from disc brand to brand. On some it’s better, others it’s worse. In general, the 106 is better on cheap media.

Originally posted by Dexx

My own experience with Princo 4x discs, is that the Liteon burns them “better” – that is to say the graph with kprobe looks better.

The Pioneer doesn’t burn them “bad” however.

Shintaro discs are usually made by Princo anyway.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
It varies from disc brand to brand. On some it’s better, others it’s worse. In general, the 106 is better on cheap media.

Does it matter whether I go with Pioneer or Liteon if I go with premium medias such as TY and ritek? Which one will you choose?

From what I can see, the 411S is slightly better on TY and Hitachi-Maxell, much the same on MCC. the differences may not be significant. However, given the higher speeds on the LiteOn and superior CDR/RW burning, the choice gets easier.

From what I can see, the 411S is slightly better on TY and Hitachi-Maxell, much the same on MCC. the differences may not be significant. However, given the higher speeds on the LiteOn and superior CDR/RW burning, the choice gets easier.

The thing is that I can’t find the 411S with a black face plate in my city. I don’t want to buy a burner that will standout when my case is black. However, there are Pioneer 106D in black. This is why it’s such a big dillema for me.

Maybe you can get a friend in the USA to get you one from NewEgg.com

Maybe you can get a friend in the USA to get you one from NewEgg.com

Do you know any places that will ship to Canada?

For me the Lite-on LDW-411S is the top-choice - currently.
It works up to now perfect with all media and players i own. Fast and reliable.
Should problems arise, after the ‘return-graced’ period, i would kick it away over eBay and buy another current burner with good reviews :bigsmile:

Just my experience with two of the drives above and one not named.

My media used was 4X Ritek DVD-R.
The target was my XBOX with Thompson drive.
Burners used were Sony DRU-500a, Lite-On LDW-411S, and Plextor 708a.

Results:

Sony DRU-500a - prefect playback of game. No sound or video issues.
Plextor 708a - some sound skipping and some video problems sometimes.
Lite-On LDW-411S - Disk not recognized on several tries and several burns.

All burns used the same image and software.

End result… The Lite-On found its home back at the store for some other poor sap. :Z

As for the Pioneer. I hear it has burn quality as good or better than the Sony. I don’t have one yet to commit on it. If I had to do it over again I would get the Pioneer over the Sony just for increased media compatiablity and good burn quality. When I bought my Sony, the Pioneer was just releasing it 4X dvd-r only burner.