Lite-On Sucks?

vbimport

I want to get a stand-alone DVD recorder to grab goodies like Deadwood off of my Motorola DCT-6412. I have a Lite-On CDRW in my PC and have been quite happy with it. I am looking at a 5005 but would like to know WTF a 5006 is. Is it available? Not from Newegg…

I keep finding posts that say avoid Lite-On. WTF?

Anyway I understand there is a firmware hack available for the Lite-On. This will blow Macrovision away right? But it won’t help me if HBO content is flagged “record once” will it? Any concise sites you could recommend on this subject? I’ve perused this forum and several others and have just gotten more confused.

Probably shouldn’t have dropped all that Acid back in college…

Wolf

1. A 5006 is the same as a 5005 but with Stereo RF tuner (not a problem if all your recording sources are via other inputs) and Videoplus/PDC.

You will come across lots of posts saying avoid Liteon, why? because first and foremost Liteon are a brand marketed to introduce DVD recording to the mass market and at a price point to suit. Without having access to trade sales figures I think a safe bet is that Liteon (and their re-badged machines such as Akai, Daytek, ILO, Apex and many others) have outsold all other brands several times over.
This obviously provides a much larger user base and naturally a much larger figure for those with problems.
At this point it should be noted that not all problems raised can be laid at the door of Liteon, but Liteon have done themselves no favours in mass producing units without ensuring strict quality control. However in their defence they at least do fairly regular firmware updates and they do listen to what we have to say in these forums. There are for example 2 Liteon employees who are members of the forum I moderate on and pass our comments on.

Then there are those that have spent a lot more money on machines from well known brands that do have better components in them and like to decry our choice of machine. There is not and never will be a perfect machine from anyone.

The hack will defeat macrovision, region free is easy (try that without re-chipping on a Pioneer unit).

I have had reports that HBO has been recorded without problems.

i have had a 5006 for ten weeks. i have learned a shit load in this forum, and particularly from a few members i corresponded by e-mail w/. the macrovision hack on the firmware works dead-on, altho it is a little tricky to install, i got it done in a few hours. the unit will now record ANYTHING! i have gone thru 250 +R and +RW discs w/ few problems. stick w/ good brands like Riteks. i have had no problems recording off my Dish satellite box, which is what i primarily use it for, and backing up/copying DVDs, and VHS tapes. i have found it to be a fairly reliable unit. so the naysayers can take a hike. all brands have problems. i got the thing for $180 at Radio Shack w/ a $30 rebate that i got back in a month. so i paid $150 for it. you can’t beat that w/ a stick. it is currently back on sale w/ a $50 rebate until the 18th. go get one. or you can by a Sony for a 150 more, and it won’t copy 50% of the DVDs out there, and it is twice as complicated to use. sure there are a few lemon Lite-Ons out there. i happen to NOT have one.

Well said thrak8! Liteon is mostly a good machine. Many of the “problems” are media related. Sure it would be nice to have universal compatibility, but that isn’t going to happen anytime soon. In their favor, Liteon posts regular firmware updates and for the most part tries to solve the problems. But their are many things that simply cannot replace the pratical expeirience available from the members of this forum.

On the downside, there are some nagging issues that seem ridiculous. Lately their have been alot of posts about Liteons refusing to recognize previously recorded or even commercially recorded disks. You have to wonder if the machine is simply not robust enough and may have a short life span. But that being said, if your alternative is to buy Sony or Panasonic, well they have their problems too, are much more expensive and are hard to impossible to hack.

I’ve had a dislike for Sony for some time but now if they are behind the demise of DVDdecrypter I won’t be going near any of their products.

I agree completely. Have not purchased a Sony product in over 10 years and won’t. I had a camcorder that started running backwards and re-recording over family videos. No indication in the viewfinder that anything was wrong. Only found out later when I tried to replay the tape. Lost irreplaceble family stuff such as my daughter’s first steps, etc. Sony customer service offered to do nothing. In fact they became quite irate when I told them I would never buy another one of their products.

So if they helped to kill Decrypter, I hope more people feel like you do HelloShaun and help them feel some pain.

More than 2 decades ago Sony held a good and deserved reputation for quality since then they’ve become legends in their own lunchtime with their heads stuck firmly up their backsides.
I bought a Micro Stereo System for my Mum and it had a bad fault since new but my mum didn’t want to bother me with it so I never found out until months later and Sony wouldn’t do a damn thing about it. She passed away without ever getting the benefit of it. That and 2 other “bad” purchases have really turned me off them.

:iagree:

:bow: Hi all, I purchased the Lite On 5006 about a week ago at Radio Shack with 50.00 rebate. I’m really happy with it right out of the box. Did the lite on firmware update with no visible problems at all. I originally had a Cyberhome 1600, but when i tried to copy some of the dvd’s i made on it, the files showed as mp3 files,which was really strange,and even finalized,wouldnt play on anything else but the cyberhome junk ,which i returned to Best Buy for a full refund to buy the Lite On with. So far, no problems at all,and it’s very compatible with all the dvd players i have at home. In my opinion, you get a lot of bang for your buck with this machine,and I would highy recommend it to anyone looking for a great deal.

:bow: Hi all, I purchased the Lite On 5006 about a week ago at Radio Shack with 50.00 rebate. I’m really happy with it right out of the box. Did the lite on firmware update with no visible problems at all. I originally had a Cyberhome 1600, but when i tried to copy some of the dvd’s i made on it, the files showed as mp3 files,which was really strange,and even finalized,wouldnt play on anything else but the cyberhome junk ,which i returned to Best Buy for a full refund to buy the Lite On with. So far, no problems at all,and it’s very compatible with all the dvd players i have at home. In my opinion, you get a lot of bang for your buck with this machine,and I would highy recommend it to anyone looking for a great deal. The SP and LP modes are as good as any others I have seen far far more expensive machines. I’m pleased with the color, ease of use,and the features. Fortunately, I did not get a lemon, I got a real winner here. Hope you get as lucky as I did if you decide to go for this lite on model too :iagree:

I’d like to thank all you guys for taking time to post your input here. It really helps us get a better idea of what we’re getting into before we buy,thanks again all who have contributed here

I agree liteon sucks

I have some trouble with my Sep '04 5005 recognizing some unfinalized media but it is still working great with some other MIC media. It is the best $149 I ever spent and am ready to buy 1 on buy.com for $129 as soon as my application for the visa card is approved, I know that will be the best $129 I ever spent. My present 5005 has probably about 800 hours of recording time on it and who knows how many hours of viewing. Thats less than a buck a DVD with 4 hours of recording on most. When the new one arrives and the present one comes back from when I send it in for RMA they will be used for recording only. I’m gonna use my cheap Apex’s to do all the watching. Region free and macrovision free for $129 - $149 …No snow, the green tint issue has been taken care of, fire wire input, front and rear A/V inputs, 1,2,3,4,6 hour,(I never use the 6 hour though)recording. And it’ll even backup up my DVD’s that can’t be backed up in my PC based burners because of CRC errors. You can’t get hurt !!!

If I had to buy DVD’s to replace all the VHS tapes I recorded to DVD on the 5005 it would have cost mucho bucks more than the price of the 5005 ! Now I have room in the cabinet. A VHS tape in its case is 5x’s bigger than a DVD in a slim jewel case and that doesn’t include the difference in height.

JM,

Doesn’t the hummy mono tuner bother you? What about the front inputs which have noise hash coming from the display? And the inability to record Monday through Friday programs using the “daily” mode (does Sunday through Saturday instead)?

Jim

JimLely - I don’t use the tuner I do all recording from my VCR/ cable box through the front and rear A/v inputs. I have never had it hooked to the tuner. No problem with my front A/v inputs using the vcr or cable box or another DVD player.

The daily mode is a pain but I do not do much scheduled recording on the 5005. I do a lot of cable shows and the shows always repeat or are on demand. Most of the scheduled recording we do is via VCR for my wifes soaps.

Totally agree with jm1647, and the VCR has not been used since getting the Liteon except for transferring 300 odd tapes to DVD.

Have never used the Tuner and no noise from front AV input.

i agree with jm1647 tuner is a waste allways record off free view box(sat)best way to go

buy free view(sat) with recorders built in its a godsent no more worrys about missing soaps for the boss .good picture and sound and if recorded on rw no waste of discs

I’ve had a 5006 for about six months now and am very satisfied. I record movies off of a Scientific-Atlanta DVR leased from Time Warner. The 5006 rocks (as opposed to sucks)! I don’t see any difference between the video quality of 5006 recordings and that of commercial DVDs. If there is any, it’s very slight.

Realizing that the Lite-on machines may be prone to break-downs, etc., I use the 5006 only to record, never to play anything. And I don’t leave it turned on when not in use; instead, I disconnect it from the system, rerouting the cables to bypass it.

Cheers,

Bill

I would say the units are childs play when it comes to recording or playback. firmware updates I found to be a doddle, and I have thrown all sorts of disks Cd-rs, Cd-rws, DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD+RW multiple brands without problems.

I’ve got a 5004 and no problems. It may not be as polished as the brand name products but works well and at a bargain price. I wanted it mainly to shift stuff from my hard-disc recorder, not for its timer/tuner facilities, but I use it occasionally for clashes and it performs flawlessly. I also had a camera outside and for a couple of weeks left it recording all day in the 6 hour mode with no issues. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

Sure it has a few problems, like the RGB out has syncs on green (and not composite), and when in PDC/VPS mode it locks the RGB loop-through, but it’s superb value for money and does what it says on the tin. The tuner-setup is a bit involved but at least you only have to go through it once.