Lite On SOHW-1693S - Media Brand Matter?

vbimport

I have the latest firmware installed. I’m using the latest Nero software.

If I import video from my Sony video camera, the software (set with the DVD template) will import the video, convert it to DVD format, let me make a menu, etc, then burn it.

The video will play perfectly in the burner, but will not play in any of three DVD players I’ve tried. I get a “No Disc” error in all three players.

These players are the type that will play nearly any format DVD or CD known to man.

The brand media I’m using is Imation. It is DVD+R media. I had a Nec DVD writer that died, but it would make DVD’s that would play in all three players.

I realize Imation is not a “recommended” media for my Lite On drive, but does it really make that much difference?

If so, I have access at my local store to Maxell DVD+R and DVD-R media. Both are “recommended” by Lite On.

Which would be the best to try with this drive??

Sincerely,

David

The media code is a more reliable way to identify the discs as most “brand names” use a lot of different media. I have found TY and most Verbatim (MCC 003 at 6X is better) and TDK TTG02 all work well. I am sure others will chip in with alternatives. Also a very good selection of media can be found at Rima.com, supermedia.com, meritline.com, and Newegg.com.

Welcome to the forum.

FujiFilm sold at BestBuy and elsewhere marked made is japan are TYs, if you are buying locally. What it says on the outside of the box is no indication of who makes the discs and whether they are any good. They are often made by third parties with the brand name everyone has heard of i.e. Memorex slapped on. Good Luck.

@ carney1979
You can check your burn results with Kprobe 2.4.2 BLER scans(scanned at 4x scan speed the forum standard for comparison). You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean. PI/PO is now referred to as PI/PIF. Roughly, PImax<280; PIFmax<4. Attaching disc quality scans to your post of the offending discs will help us help you.

On the 1693S, I had good results with Maxell DVD-R’s, and TDK DVD+R’s (Ricoh). I’ve heard Verbatims are good as well, although a bit expensive.