Lite-On SOHW-1673S Slow Burn Help Needed

vbimport

When I burn 16x Verbatim 4.7 gig DVD-R media with my new SOHW-1673s (JS07 Firmware) using Nero Express (v6.6.0.13), it is taking about 15 mins to burn a disc (at 16x speed, as verified by Nero during and after burn).

What am I doing wrong? I thought it would be twice as fast. It is connected via UDMA-4. I am using the latest firmware. I have a 2.80 processor and 1 gig RAM.

Any ideas?

@ opie-100
Welcome:). Do you notice buffer underruns when you are burning? Are you doing any multi-tasking when you are burning? If you are multi-tasking, try a burn without doing anything else and see how that goes. You also might benefit from defragging your HDD often, as fragmented source files can lead to buffer underruns and slow, poor quality burns. You can also check to see if your source HDD is also at UDMA5 or 6. Another potential problem could be your HDD and your burner on the same IDE channel, like HDD-PRI-MASTER and your 1673 as PRI-SLAVE. If this is the case, try your 1673 as SEC-MASTER.
Is this the time for the full burn only, or have you selected ‘verify data on disc after burning’ and the 15 minutes includes this time? If this includes ‘verify’ time, then you are OK. If this time is for the full burn only, try installing this nero ‘show actual speed’ hack . This will tell you the…um…actual speed of the burning in real time, so you can see if the burn attempts to shift up to faster speeds or whatever. 15 minutes is what time a 4x burn takes.

Also, you can check your burn results with Kprobe 2.4.3 BLER scans(scanned at 4x scan speed the forum standard for comparison). You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean. PI/PO is now referred to as PI/PIF. Roughly, PImax<280; PIFmax<4. Attaching disc quality scans to your post of the offending discs will help us help you. The scans may tell us what is happening.

Let us know if any of this helps.

Thanks for your quick response, please.

1. How do I tell buffer underruns and what do I do about them? There seems to be two buffer bars going, I assume one is for the HD and one for the DVD-RW, and the burning does seem to pause while the upper one is moving. The lower one shows 98% a lot.

2. I will defrag my drive tonight.

3. In Device Manager, I have two Primary and two Secondary IDE channels. The HDD and the DVD-RW are in the two Primary IDE channels - although the HD is SATA and has a separate port on the motherboard. Does it matter that the drive is set as primary? In my BIOS, the SATA drive is IDE 3 (master), and the DVD-RW is IDE 1 (master). In the directions, it recommends putting the drive as secondary (master), but that shouldn’t make the difference, right?

4. I think the DVD drive is at UDMA 4 and the HD (Maxtor SATA) at UDMA 5. I have the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, which has two SATA ports as well as two IDE ports.

5. This is the time for full burn only. I’ve installed the actual speed hack, and the speed goes from 8x to 14x, slowly building momentum through the 15 min burn.

I’ll go through the other steps after I hear if any of the above matters.

Thx!

@ opie-100
Good job on following up :slight_smile:

1. Buffer underruns happen when your source files aren’t being fed to the burner fast enough. You are very close with your bar assessment. The upper bar is the buffer for nero,but can be considered your HDD. It can be configured in ‘nero>preferences’, but if you have a lot of memory, it will usually set itself to the maximum 80MB. This is the bar that should stay 90% and above. It If it ever empties, the burner stops burning and then you have a buffer underrun. It may just stop for a few seconds. If it stops for longer, the burn itself may just stop and fail. The lower one is your burner itself, and that empties after the nero buffer empties. Not as big of a concern as the top bar. What you do to prevent buffer underruns is check your DMA,check your config, don’t multi-task and defrag often
  2. defrag often, like once a week if you do a lot of burning and don’t have a lot of free continuous space. If you rip a disc onto a fragmented HDD, your rip will be fragmented. Hopefully, this will sove your problem.
  3. We have similar systems :cool: . Your config sounds good. I also have the ASUS p4p800E-Deluxe. I have my XPSP2 on a SATA RAID1 array on the SATA1 and SATA2 ports. I also have my burner as the IDE PRI-MAS. that is good. The manual instuctions are for when you have your HDD on IDE1. Their intent is to warn you to not put your burner on the same IDE channel as your source HDD. The beauty of SATA is everyone gets their own channel :slight_smile: . I also have RAID0 array off the Promise comtroller(SATA_RAID1&2 ports). I usually rip to the Promise RAID0 array.
  4. Your UDMA’s sound good.
  5. This is good and bad. Good in that you installed the speed hack and you don’t have the ‘verify data…’ selected and your burn starts at 8x and slowly climbs to 14x. Bad because it still takes 15 minutes and we’ve mentioned all the easy answers :confused: . Let’s hope defragging helps(crosses fingers)

So, defrag and try a burn. If that fails, then answer this question. How often, or how many times during the burn does your ‘upper buffer bar’(say that 5 times fast) completely empty during a burn? I am not sure if the burn strategy for your discs and burner is a CAV or P-CAV(smooth continuous speed increases)versus Z-CLV(where the burner actually shifts speeds from 4x to 6x to 8x etc.), but it sounds like it is CAV, so you should not have any times when it goes down to zero…going up and down some is OK…that is what a buffer is for :iagree: .

Then, post a Kprobe scan. It will hopefully help. Scan at 4x speed…now THAT should take 15 minutes.
I have assumed that when you said "16x Verbatim 4.7 gig DVD-R media ", you meant you were using 16x speed rated Verbatim -R media. The Kprobe will tell us your discs MID

Thanks again for your quick response, please.

1. I defragged, and lo and behold, the next burn only took about 7.5 mins. I guess that makes a big difference. I also made sure very little was running in the background. It was weird tho, because again the burn started at 8x, and slowly builded up again toward 16x, so I didn’t expect an improvement in time. Do all rips start off at “half” speed and build up?

2. I didn’t watch this carefully the last time, but earlier I did notice the top buffer bar sometimes going all the way down, but no failures. Perhaps my multi-tasking was impacting this.

3. Yes, our MBs are similar, although I have the P4P800 Deluxe (no “E”).

4. Correct, I am using 16x Verbatim 4.7 gig DVD-R media.

5. I will try a Kprobe, probably next weekend, and post here.

Thanks again!

@ opie_100
Glad to hear that defragging was the answer to your problems. It is amazing how much difference defragging can make. I am glad it was easily solved. The ripping and burning times and speeds are normal. They start from the inside of the disc and work their way out. It is limited by how many RPMs a disc can take. Of course the inner part of the disc has much less ‘data-per-revolution’ than the outer part, so it must be fed slower.
Burning from a fragmented drive is like grocery shopping from a list that must be done in order and everything is in different aisles. A defragged HDD is like all items in one aisle. It is capable of much faster data transfer with much less seeking.

Thanks for reporting back, as your response may help others in a similar situation. I look forward to those kprobe scans:). Good luck!