Lite-On SOHW 1673S patched to 1693S KC4B long in Lead-In

vbimport

I have this drive for almost 2 years, and it definitely takes almost 1m30s just to read Lead-In (if I’m burning DVD-R media with 8X speed).Even it’s the same media I’m burning before. I thought that this drive has Learn Media capability, but it definitely not using it.is this normal?
oh, and if I’m burning with DVD-RW media, it takes only seconds in Lead-In.
any suggestion?
thanks a lot

no comment or suggestion, anyone?

I have a similar issue which may be what you are describing. With my SOHW-1693s It often will take 1 to 1:30 before burn even starts. I noticed longer with -R media. During this period the drive LED is blinking and you can hear disc spinning up and down. It seems during this period drive is finding burn strategy and adjusting laser etc? All of my Lite-On drives have done this. I’ve been told that it was a characteristic of Lite-On drives. Hope this helps however you may be describing something different.

all of Lite-On or just Lite-On DVDRW?I reckon that’s only happen when I burn DVD+/-R. With CDs and DVD-RW it doesn’t happen. Did your drive do that in CDs and DVD-RW media too?I’ve used Lite-On Combo drive and Lite-On CDRW drive, and I don’t experienced that kind of thing…well, maybe it’s only Lite-On DVDRW characteristic cos I got this one and only DVDRW
anyway thanks for the psot, it calms me a little bit :slight_smile:

Yes when burning dvd+r and dvd-r media I experience this delay to write situation. When burning cd-r and dvd-rw or dvd+rw no issue.

so that’s how Lite-On 3S machine works on DVD+/-R media…not so good eh?
I have a plan to replace it with something like BenQ DW1800 or Lite-On 18A1P. I heard that those two drive are identical (Lite-On OEM)

Yes. BenQ 1800, LiteOn LH-18A1P, LiteOn LH-20A1P are all the same hardware and only differ in firmware.

My LiteOn SHW-16H5S @ 1635S does not have long leadin times. My LG, however, has :frowning:

yes, those 5S drives definitely better than 3S drives. It’s my mistake that I bought the drive without reading the review first.
so, the next target will be:
Lite-On LH-19A1P/20A1P (prefer 20A1P, newer drive–cmiiw) or
BenQ DW1800