Lite-On SOHR-5239V

vbimport

I was looking to pick up a Lite-On SOHR-5238S for my CD burning on my 2nd machine.

I have noticed that newegg.com doesn’t carry it but they have the SOHR-5239V.

I have only seen a few small comments here on this drive so if anyone who has one would
care to comment I would appreciate it.

If it’s as good as the 5238S then I will grab one as I need a good 48x-52x CD burner.

Hi folks,

I’m also interested in getting a dedicated CD-RW drive, and this appears to be the prime candidate. How does this drive perform with disc scans and audio CDs? Any replies appreciated :iagree:

Hi,

here you are :wink:
My drive is now attached to onboard-Promise PDC 20579 controller. (Note to myself: update sig ;))
The disc shown in the screenshots is a 40x rated Sony, but the drive (like my Samsung SHW163A) supports these media only @32x. Disc was written @32x using “Create Audio Test CD” in Nero CD/DVD Speed.

Same disc as above, scanned with 3 different drives:

Hi all,

today was wet and windy, so I bought myself a 5239V to console myself :bigsmile: Upgraded to 2$0D, backed up the EEPROM with C0deking’s awesome utility :bow: then burned an Xubuntu 6.06 ISO on to a Sony-branded Taiyo Yuden at 52x in 2:24. Here you go:

Date                     : 2006-06-02 19:30:44
Model                    : 0-0-2-0 H:LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V 2$0D
Disc                     : CDR (A+) , 972401:795972 [Taiyo Yuden Company Limited]
Speed                    : 32x
Scanned range            : 0:2:0 (0) - 73:52:23 (511F1h)
C1 Max                   : 6
C1 Average               : 0.16
C1 Total                 : 664
C2 Max                   : 0
C2 Average               : 0.00
C2 Total                 : 0

What do you reckon? :wink:

Something that bothers me is the errors in the lower graph. They appear with most discs, but they’re definitely not C2 errors, as the stats show.

Should I be concerned? Is the drive defective? Do I have to part with my new-found love so soon? :sad:

Also, Nero CD-DVD Speed does not work with it.

Hi,

Hey, they just released 2$0C a few weeks ago - and now a newer firmware again?

Something that bothers me is the errors in the lower graph. They appear with most discs, but they’re definitely not C2 errors, as the stats show.
I see this, too. But not always. I think, it is not the drive, but maybe an issue of kprobe.

Also, Nero CD-DVD Speed does not work with it.
Works for me, as you could see in one of the screenshots I posted here.

Michael

Perhaps 2$0D is the culprit here. Wanna risk upgrading to it and telling us if scanning still works? :slight_smile:

Hi,

I’ll try that if I get some time. Do you know if flashfix works with the firmware of that drive?

But this might indeed be a firmware issue, as I have to start the scan a second time, because the first scan exposes astronomically high error spikes at the beginning. Actually my drive is running @2$0C. Kprobe works okay, and the results can be compared to those achieved with CD/DVD Speed.

Michael

It does, but the behaviour is the same as with 2$0C:

Thanks for confirming that, mciahel. I’ve noticed the initial high spikes when scanning at max speed. Try lowering it to 40x or 32x and see if it helps.

I hope this is a firmware issue that will be fixed in the near future, because for me its main purpose is CD scanning [though I don’t mind 40x :bigsmile: ].

Having said that, it’s given me some great burns so far :iagree: For instance, here’s a BenQ [Daxon] disc of an Ubuntu ISO made with Imgburn, 44x selected [max speed reached 41.6x]:

Date                     : 2006-06-03 07:23:09
Model                    : 0-0-2-0 H:LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V 2$0D
Disc                     : CDR (B-) , 972267:795974 [Daxon Inc.]
Speed                    : 40x
Scanned range            : 0:2:0 (0) - 79:33:08 (575C9h)
C1 Max                   : 9
C1 Average               : 0.60
C1 Total                 : 2644
C2 Max                   : 0
C2 Average               : 0.00
C2 Total                 : 0

Hi,

If you are referring to the scan I posted here, well, this is a bad disc.

I hope this is a firmware issue that will be fixed in the near future, because for me its main purpose is CD scanning
This might also be a flaw in CD/DVD Speed, as Kprobe doesn’t show that behaviour.

Greets,
Michael

No, I mean the initial high C1 which I get in KProbe when scanning at 48x. They disappear at 40x and slower. Try those speeds in CD-DVD Speed and see what you get for the same disc.

Ok. I’ll have a look at it.

Thanks for the heads-up :slight_smile:
Michael