Lite-on shw-1635s burn problems

vbimport

Every time i try to burn a cd or dvd, it’ll start and then i’ll get an error and it will spit it out. on the cd it says unknown error [4000]. also every time i right click on the drive in my computer it freezes up. please help. thanks

OK, first we’ll go through the basics.

What burning program are you using? Nero? Make sure it’s fully updated.

Other things to check:

[B]Is DMA mode on?[/B]
Go to the device manager (My Computer -> right-click/properties -> hardware tab -> device manager) and check that DMA mode is enabled on your IDE controller’s channels. Go to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and right-click on Secondary IDE Channel, properties, go to the advanced tab. Transfer Mode should be set to “DMA if available” and it should say something about Ultra DMA Mode 2 or 5 or similar in the field below.

If it isn’t set to DMA (says something about PIO for example) pull the drop-down box down, select DMA if available, click OK and restart your computer, then check again.

[B]Is the Windows burning service running?[/B]
Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. In the list find the IMAPI CD burning COM Service. Right-click, properties. Click “Stop”, pull down the “Startup Type” box and choose “Disabled” and click apply/ok. You’ll no longer be able to drag files on to a CD in Explorer and burn them, but this solves lots of burning-related problems.

[B]Are you using an 80 Wire (Ultra-DMA compatible) IDE cable?[/B]
This is key with today’s high speed burners, as they push a lot of data and need the extra bandwidth. If your drive is in PIO mode and will not change to DMA mode it may be because the cable you’re using does not support it.

[B]Have you checked the connections on the drive and motherboard and tried another cable?[/B]
If not do this now. [U]The freezing when you click on the drive leads me to believe that it’s either some kind of driver conflict or an improperly installed drive.[/U]

[B]Do you have the latest drivers for your motherboard/chipset?[/B]
Look up your motherboard model on the manufacturer’s website and download the latest chipset drivers for it. Also update your video and sound drivers.

If none of the above helps, please give us more information about your machine/OS/etc. There are a few more things that may work.

-[I]silence[/I]

thanks for the help. i appreciate it. the cd burning service disable is what did it. thanks

Hello, i have searched websites all over the internet and i cannot still fix the problem, i have tried all these listed here but it hasnt worked for me and i am still getting the unknown error 4000 when i attempt to burn a cd. I have also tried going to Control Panel-System-hardware-device manager-IDE controllers- then uninstalling all those in there, then rebooting my pc but i still continue to get the uknown error 4000. Please Help, i have tried so many different things.
Thanks

[QUOTE=DarkFox314;2020803]Hello, i have searched websites all over the internet and i cannot still fix the problem, i have tried all these listed here but it hasnt worked for me and i am still getting the unknown error 4000 when i attempt to burn a cd. I have also tried going to Control Panel-System-hardware-device manager-IDE controllers- then uninstalling all those in there, then rebooting my pc but i still continue to get the uknown error 4000. Please Help, i have tried so many different things.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the Forum, DarkFox314.

I’m not familiar with “the unknown error 4000”. You’ll have to give us some more info, like the burner’s firmware version and the type of CD’s you’re trying to burn. You could run Nero CD-DVD Speed (download from www.cdspeed2000.com or, if you have Nero installed, go to Start -> Programs -> Nero -> Nero Toolkit) and put your blank CD in the drive, then post a “Disc Info” screenshot like in the example below (click the floppy disk icon on top of the window to save the image, then use “Manage Attachments” to add it to your post). Also tell us which burning software you are using.

Hello, thanks for taking the time for trying to assist me. I use itunes and windows media player. ive tried burning a cd using both programs, and the same error occurs. Here is the attatchment-

Thanks, that looks okay. You can do a burn-test with “Create Disc” (check “Simulate” if you wish to reuse the blank CD). If this works without errors, then the hardware is OK and the problem is software related. An alternative program you can try to burn your music CD’s is called “Burrrn”.

Also, I would advise you to update the “firmware” of your Sony burner. This will improve compatibility with currently available blank media (especially DVD). Instructions and download here .

Okay i updated my “firmware” and then I used Create Disc and i clicked Stimulate. I am not sure if i did this correctly, however i kept getting an error. This is what it looked like-

Hmm, that doesn’t look good. It’s not just a problem with iTunes. I suppose you’ve tried different blank CD’s? Tending to suspect a driver or software issue now. Maybe you should (temporarily) uninstall iTunes and any other CD/DVD related software you may have on there, until you know you can burn with CDSpeed.

And even if you have done so already, reinstalling the IDE Channels in Device Manager can’t hurt either. Depending on your mainboard specs, there may be different IDE drivers you can try (standard Microsoft or proprietary chipset manufacturer drivers).

Finally, check DMA status of your IDE drives in Device Manager: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/ . Current Transfer Mode should be Ultra DMA Mode 2 for the burner.